PDA

View Full Version : Buying first gun - license has wrong address?

San FranPsycho
05-03-2010, 4:28 PM
Hello fellow Cal Gunners,

this is my first post here and I have a question regarding proof of residency for buying a shotgun. This will be my first gun purchase (just turned 19 and have enough money) in a few weeks. I am going to get a Mossy500 from Big 5. However, my drivers license has my old home address on it. I don't want to put down my old address on the BATFE, pretty sure that's a felony. I'm pretty sure they will check to make sure the address on the paperwork is the same as that on my license, right? :confused:

I also don't want to have to spend almost $30 and wait 60 days to get a new license with my folks new address on it (nevermind I'm going to be moving again at the end of the summer to come back to school). I don't know of anything else I can use as an ID, and considering I'm going to be at Big 5 I've heard those people are notoriously ill informed when it comes to selling firearms. I mean, I have pay stubs (from the State of California, mind you) that I think have my address on...I will have to check next week when I get paid. Could that help? Or do you think these people will even care at all?

Thanks!

Havoc70
05-03-2010, 4:31 PM
If the paystubs have your actual address, that should work. Utility bills in your name with the correct address will also work. Vehicle registration at the new address will also be acceptable (which you can do for free on the DMV's website and then print the final page and that will work).

There are ways to validate your address even if you DL isn't correct.

Kharn
05-03-2010, 4:47 PM
I'm a little unclear about which address is which.
Your license shows an address (in another state?) at which you (and your parents?) previously lived at, but you have since left for college and will never be returning to that address? Normally college students retain their residency at their parents' house, rather than changing it back and forth from home to college at every semester break. Which address did you use when filing your federal taxes?

The address on the 4473 must match your driver's license at most of the big-box stores, they do not want to risk a violation on a technicality.

If your parents are claiming you as a dependent you need to make sure changing your residency will not affect that. Also consider car registration, insurance, etc. If the situation is as I think it is, you need to update your driver's license to your parents' new house and buy the shotgun when you're back home this summer.

FortCourageArmory
05-03-2010, 5:29 PM
If your CADL has an old address, you will need another government-issued proof of residence. Fortunatley, your vehicle registration (assuming the address is current) will suffice. If it also shows your old address, you will need something else government-issued. Hope that helps.

barthel
05-03-2010, 5:34 PM
I use my car registration, they accept that no problem.:cool2:

jeffm223
05-03-2010, 7:20 PM
The official list of qualifying docs can be found here:

http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/regs/chapter4.pdf

CHS
05-03-2010, 7:30 PM
The official list of qualifying docs can be found here:

http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/regs/chapter4.pdf

Actually, that won't work.

While those documents will satisfy CA's residency requirements, not all of them will satisfy the feds. Those will be fine for purchasing a handgun in CA where second proof of residence is always required.

The feds will only accept something that's government-issued for proof of residency on the 4473.

spgripside
05-03-2010, 7:47 PM
If your license is from CA, go to the DMV, bring a lease or current utility bill with the new address and they will give you a brown card with address update for free. I've used this to purchase guns with no problem. Hope this helps.
Sean

San FranPsycho
05-04-2010, 12:10 AM
I'm a little unclear about which address is which.
Your license shows an address (in another state?) at which you (and your parents?) previously lived at, but you have since left for college and will never be returning to that address? Normally college students retain their residency at their parents' house, rather than changing it back and forth from home to college at every semester break. Which address did you use when filing your federal taxes?

The address on the 4473 must match your driver's license at most of the big-box stores, they do not want to risk a violation on a technicality.

If your parents are claiming you as a dependent you need to make sure changing your residency will not affect that. Also consider car registration, insurance, etc. If the situation is as I think it is, you need to update your driver's license to your parents' new house and buy the shotgun when you're back home this summer.

I lived in one house which my license has the address of. Family moved two months before college to the new house, which will be my address this summer. Now I'm at school but going back in the summer. Will be moving out again at the end of summer into a new house for school again (address will change AGAIN). I don't feel comfortable - lying - putting my old address on the forms, but I feel like it's a waste getting a new license since I'm going to move again so soon. Don't own a car and have no utility bills since I have no house.

I know its kind of a dumb thing but I don't have a lot of other ways to prove my residency since I'm so young and I really want to go shooting this summer ;) I might just try all the Big 5s around me to see what they will take

allenst65
05-04-2010, 1:46 AM
If your license is from CA, go to the DMV, bring a lease or current utility bill with the new address and they will give you a brown card with address update for free.

I don't think you even need those docs at the DMV to change it. I changed mine several years ago at the DMV and don't recall them needing anything besides me filling out a form.

Same goes if you're an Auto Club member. While AAA may tell you on the phone they don't handle CDL issues, they will process address changes as part of their member services. I just did an address change last month and all you do is fill out a form and they give you the new address card. Best part, there is no two month wait on a DMV appointment or having to wait hours for service on a walk in visit to the DMV. My total in-out time for CDL and registration change was about 6 mins.

Kharn
05-04-2010, 1:58 AM
I lived in one house which my license has the address of. Family moved two months before college to the new house, which will be my address this summer. Now I'm at school but going back in the summer. Will be moving out again at the end of summer into a new house for school again (address will change AGAIN). I don't feel comfortable - lying - putting my old address on the forms, but I feel like it's a waste getting a new license since I'm going to move again so soon. Don't own a car and have no utility bills since I have no house.

I know its kind of a dumb thing but I don't have a lot of other ways to prove my residency since I'm so young and I really want to go shooting this summer ;) I might just try all the Big 5s around me to see what they will takeYou will be moving into a new house, or your parents will be moving into a new house? The vast majority of college students (and colleges, for the purposes of in-state tuition etc) continue to use your parents' address vs switching back and forth from their house to the school address every year. The DMV is not packed on 1 Sept with every college kid in the area getting a revised license. Your intent is to maintain a residence at your parents' house (so they can claim you on taxes), you just happen to sleep at an apartment at school a lot.

Get your license amended to show your parents' address, do not use your school address.

GrayWolf09
05-04-2010, 7:23 AM
Hello fellow Cal Gunners,

this is my first post here and I have a question regarding proof of residency for buying a shotgun. This will be my first gun purchase (just turned 19 and have enough money) in a few weeks. I am going to get a Mossy500 from Big 5. However, my drivers license has my old home address on it. I don't want to put down my old address on the BATFE, pretty sure that's a felony. I'm pretty sure they will check to make sure the address on the paperwork is the same as that on my license, right? :confused:

I also don't want to have to spend almost $30 and wait 60 days to get a new license with my folks new address on it (nevermind I'm going to be moving again at the end of the summer to come back to school). I don't know of anything else I can use as an ID, and considering I'm going to be at Big 5 I've heard those people are notoriously ill informed when it comes to selling firearms. I mean, I have pay stubs (from the State of California, mind you) that I think have my address on...I will have to check next week when I get paid. Could that help? Or do you think these people will even care at all?

Thanks!

I don't claim to be an expert, but I bought a pistol shortly after moving and this is what I did. I went online to the DMV website and changed my address online. When you come to the last screen where the DMV says thank you, you print it out. That and your old license is your government issued ID. Cost = $0:cool:

8bitnintendo
05-04-2010, 8:22 AM
If your license is from CA, go to the DMV, bring a lease or current utility bill with the new address and they will give you a brown card with address update for free.
^ This, it is called a DL 43 (Change of Address Certificate). They stamp it with the current date when you receive it (sorry about the poor picture quality...)
http://pics.livejournal.com/8bitnintendo/pic/0008p2xt.jpg

windrider
05-04-2010, 9:25 AM
let me tell you what I did, I moved to la but I know im not going to be here for much longer and the address I have on my dl is from the bay area but its my dads house which he owns, so I put my dads address because it still technically is my address and it is defiantly more permanent than mine here, I just told the gun store that I work down here and I live up there, they didnt have a problem and that was from a gun store that defiantly has the my **** smells like roses attitude.

Rekrab
05-04-2010, 10:09 AM
All of my handguns have been purchased using an address I no longer live at(parents'), it's never caused an issue. I bring in my W-2 with my current address and put my current address on the form.

stix213
05-04-2010, 3:13 PM
Technically you are legally required to change your DL address with the DMV within 10 days of moving to your new place.

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/forms/dmv/dmv14.htm

flyinverted
05-04-2010, 5:49 PM
I had this issue with a store once where they said I had to have the brown change of address form attached to the back of my DL. I called the ATF in Santa Ana to confirm and they said this was incorrect and called over to the store to set them straight. Form 4473 contains section 20b. Alternate Documentation (if drivers's license or other document does not show current residence address) Form 4473 now allows for US postal abbreviations. I've had many FFL dealers tell me NOT to abbreviate. This is not the case any more for section 2 on the form -Current Residence Address- (U.S. Postal abbreviations are acceptable. Cannot be a post office box) If you don't see that on your 4473, it's an old one.

mister dize
05-04-2010, 7:34 PM
I have bought 2 guns from Big 5 under the same circumstances. They are SUPER anal about it. Both times, I brought my car registration with my current address on it, and they didn't have any problems.

CalNRA
05-11-2010, 6:18 AM
I have bought 2 guns from Big 5 under the same circumstances. They are SUPER anal about it. Both times, I brought my car registration with my current address on it, and they didn't have any problems.

then those big 5s are morons. They don't sell hand guns so there is no need for proof of residency. A call to a local district managers would have set them straight.

San FranPsycho
06-01-2010, 3:32 PM
Just to follow up, I bought the Mossberg today and everything went smoothly, I just used a letter from the CA voter's registrar to verify my address, the guy took it with no problem.

But he also forgot to fingerprint me and have me sign a few things....being my first gun purchase I didn't know any better and had to drive back to the store 20 minutes later after he called to do it :rolleyes: oh well, at least the gun is mine now, thanks for all your suggestions!

spgripside
06-01-2010, 4:15 PM
Now the wait begins. Enjoy your new Mossberg.
Sean

jaymz
06-01-2010, 5:00 PM
FWIW, I just did a ppt on Wednesday of last week at Ammo Bros in Ontario. During the typical gun store chit chat while filling out forms, one of the counter guys told me that the brown change of address card is no longer a valid form of ID for firearms purchases due to the fact that DMV does not verify that it is your real residence. I don't know why that would be any different than your DL, they don't verify that address either.

turbosbox
06-01-2010, 5:34 PM
I do know it is a pain in the butt if you have the old address on the DL and lack the brown card at some stores. Then when you provide e.g. the car registration or utility bill and it doesn't match that DL address it gets to be a hassle.
Make sure you have your DL and or brown change of address card from DMV and a matching address acceptable second proof of address before you start, is my suggestion. Sucks to go back home to find some other registrations etc that matched the address on the DL. Especially when the Big 5 is on the other side of town, what a waste of an hour.

Edit: And we won't talk about having to go back on the 11th day because you "arrived too early" on the 10th day. That topic has been covered too many times in other threads.

Eargasm
06-02-2010, 12:41 PM
My license has a different address than the one listed on my DMV change of address card. I go to City Arms, show 'em my license, change of address and car registration (which shows my current address and matches the change of address card); 10 days later I go home with a new toy.

San FranPsycho
06-02-2010, 1:34 PM
Edit: And we won't talk about having to go back on the 11th day because you "arrived too early" on the 10th day. That topic has been covered too many times in other threads.

thankfully, in the first sign of intelligence when it comes to firearms and Big 5, they have the first of the ten days start one day AFTER the gun purchase, which makes for technically another loooong day of waiting for my mossy but at least I won't pull all my hair out because I over-eagerly arrived "too early" which is something I would probably do

KylaGWolf
06-02-2010, 9:08 PM
If your license is from CA, go to the DMV, bring a lease or current utility bill with the new address and they will give you a brown card with address update for free. I've used this to purchase guns with no problem. Hope this helps.
Sean

I have never had to show them anything to get that brown card. Just go in fill out the change and get the card issue. Doesn't cost a thing.

Veggie
06-02-2010, 10:47 PM
I used my cable bill. The store accepted it and apparently the feds did too. I never got a phone call from the store or anything. (Nov 2009)

CHS
06-02-2010, 10:54 PM
I used my cable bill. The store accepted it and apparently the feds did too. I never got a phone call from the store or anything. (Nov 2009)

Just because the store accepted it, doesn't mean it's legal at the federal level.

Granted, the store is liable for this, not you.

Veggie
06-02-2010, 11:04 PM
Odd. The store I bought my pistol from is very scared about gun laws. They won't carry OLLs. Spread tons of FUD. When I said something they said we aren't going to risk it.

ke6guj
06-02-2010, 11:17 PM
Odd. The store I bought my pistol from is very scared about gun laws. They won't carry OLLs. Spread tons of FUD. When I said something they said we aren't going to risk it.not the first gun shop to be mistaken about what paperwork is required in order to legally sell a gun. They'll have fun during their next audit.

CHS
06-03-2010, 8:53 AM
Odd. The store I bought my pistol from is very scared about gun laws. They won't carry OLLs. Spread tons of FUD. When I said something they said we aren't going to risk it.

It's very annoying and confusing and this is something I wish the ATF would really clarify.

For the purposes of the 4473, the ATF specifically says you need government-issued proof of residence but they don't give you any good solid guidelines as to what that exactly entails. What about municipal water bills? Those are technically government issued.

Then, you've got the California requirement of proof of residency for handgun purchases and this can be anything including a utility bill.

THEN, you've got the 4473 requirements of 90-days proof of residency for legal aliens and green card holders, for which they'll accept utility bills also.

77bawls
06-03-2010, 12:03 PM
I use my car registration, they accept that no problem.:cool2:

Yea I was going to use that but I only had old ones in my car. So I used my DMV medical exam cert.