PDA

View Full Version : Lower assault weapon paranoia?

yiha
03-04-2006, 11:38 PM
i spoke to a family member and fellow shooter today and explained the lower situation. He was excited, but also stated "id love to have one of these, but i just dont want Law enforcement and government to know about it."

Do you think there could be any negative aspects of having an "assault weapon" to your name?

50BMGBOB
03-04-2006, 11:46 PM
If you have ever bought a gun through a FFL then there is a paper record that you are a gun owner. Don't kid yourself into yhinking otherwise. If you aren't breaking any laws then don't start by not registering. Just get active now to keep things from getting to the point where you would want to break the laws.

yiha
03-05-2006, 12:18 AM
nobody was suggesting to buy the lower, make an illegal ar-15 and not register it when it gets banned.

i was only saying that he was turned off from buying one because of the "assault weapon owner" label.

artherd
03-05-2006, 1:06 AM
i spoke to a family member and fellow shooter today and explained the lower situation. He was excited, but also stated "id love to have one of these, but i just dont want Law enforcement and government to know about it."

Do you think there could be any negative aspects of having an "assault weapon" to your name?

This is an important consideration. AW lists DO come up when certin inquiries are made during an investigation. There are at best only a few general prohibitions on BROADCASTING the info on PD radios. No limits on how it may be digitally transmitted, etc.

They could pull it up on laptops when they pull you over, etc.

If a crime is committed with that type of gun in your area, expect a call/knock (BUT, expect that anyway even on non-aws. It'll just take longer untill the DOJ/ATF goes through all the 4473s by hand.)

Handguns in CA are already all registered, same deal as above.

My take: in for a penny...

6172crew
03-05-2006, 6:55 AM
While helping out with the group buys I have had 2-3 shooters decline after finding out names will go on a list and can be pulled up by the Po-Po.

tenpercentfirearms
03-05-2006, 7:03 AM
Yeah, since I have been a FFL, I realize now that anyone who has bought a handgun in the last decade or so already has their name on a list. Don't fool yourselves. They already know you have guns. Second, what are we hiding for? Why do you care if the government knows you have guns? If they ever come for them, why do you plan on hiding? Here is the scenario.

"Honey, the jack booted thugs are across the street taking Wes away. Keep our assault weapons hidden as I think they are coming across the street to get Bill next. Looks like after that they are going to go get Juan too. Just keep the handguns hidden. I know we live in a tyrannical state now and all personal freedom is lost, but I feel better having a hidden, disassembled gun that no one knows about so I can never use it again."

WTF? Seriously, if you plan on just hiding your weapons if they ever come for them, then what in the hell is the point in having them? Now, don't get me wrong, I would love for us to turn this state around and have a free society where you are not tracked like a criminal, we have to work on that. However, with the hand we have dealt here, it is illogical to have the "I want to hide from my government" attitude when the whole point of having firearms is to provide for the security of a free state. Even more illogical is the fact many of these people have handguns that they purchased in the last few years so they already have you in a database for sure. Now you true paranoid types that have never purchased a traceable firearms, I respect your effort a little bit. The other guys are just being irrational and inconsistent.

hawk1
03-05-2006, 8:23 AM
Looks like after that they are going to go get Juan too

Is that because "Juan" is an illegal or because "Juan" has an assault weapon? Inquiring minds need to know :confused:

Super_tactical
03-05-2006, 8:29 AM
Is that because "Juan" is an illegal or because "Juan" has an assault weapon? Inquiring minds need to know :confused:
hahahaha

Also what 10% is true. More like: Juan, you start firing when they hit Bill's door. I'll redirect their fire when the fire on your position. Bill, as soon as they take cover under my porch, you light em up from your side.

These situations, I believe, are the only reason we can still own guns. The gov't SHOULD fear US.

Justang
03-05-2006, 8:45 AM
hahahaha

Also what 10% is true. More like: Juan, you start firing when they hit Bill's door. I'll redirect their fire when the fire on your position. Bill, as soon as they take cover under my porch, you light em up from your side.

These situations, I believe, are the only reason we can still own guns. The gov't SHOULD fear US.

Then we redirect fire away from where they are hold Wes and we free him. Then Wes gets his Fab10's and shows them how it's done... ;)

tenpercentfirearms
03-05-2006, 9:34 AM
That is why I have six FAB-10s. I can shoot sixty rounds without reloading. What do you think about that???

Oh, you have six legal lowers and you can shoot 180 rounds before reloading. Bastards!

PIRATE14
03-05-2006, 9:59 AM
That is why I have six FAB-10s. I can shoot sixty rounds without reloading. What do you think about that???

Oh, you have six legal lowers and you can shoot 180 rounds before reloading. Bastards!

180.....180.....how many.....???

PIRATE14
03-05-2006, 10:01 AM
nobody was suggesting to buy the lower, make an illegal ar-15 and not register it when it gets banned.

i was only saying that he was turned off from buying one because of the "assault weapon owner" label.

What does that label look like....?

Anything like a radiation sticker?

Please....if you have a label.....wear it proudly and legally

Justang
03-05-2006, 10:01 AM

ahhh, the New York reload. Shoot 'till your out, grab another gun! Watch out tyrannical goverment!

HEUER
03-05-2006, 10:47 AM

he should wear it like a badge of honor.

xenophobe
03-05-2006, 11:11 AM

That is keeping a number of people from buying them. You would be surprised how many gun owners were freaked out the last time around. It caused quite a panic in a number of people who actually sold a lot of AW's before Jan 1, 2000 so they would not have to register them... as well as all the people who changed their M1A flash hiders to muzzle breaks so they wouldn't have to register it.

tenpercentfirearms
03-05-2006, 4:53 PM
as well as all the people who changed their M1A flash hiders to muzzle breaks so they wouldn't have to register it.That was me. Like hell I was going to register a gun and let the government know I had it. Then I got my CCW. Then I became a class 03 C&R. Now I have my Class 01 FFL. I think they know, so I just sent in my registration for my FAB-10 to become a .50 BMG! Screw it.

xenophobe
03-05-2006, 4:58 PM
Now look at all the cool sopmod stuff for the M1A. I'm glad I registered mine. ;)

DsF_Saint
03-05-2006, 9:28 PM
I would quietly sit here and read posts on AR15.com and other forums similar to these and think man what a bunch of yahoos. I thought the world would be falling apart if police were going door to door taking away guns. Don't say never guys. My heart literally skipped a beat when I heard they were doing it in Louisianna after Katrina. When anyone who stock piled rations and water were the only ones, that were ready for the unrest down there.

We are in an area prone to earthquakes and to think nothing will happen is just ignorant. There are predictions based on facts and studies of the amount of devastation. There are estimates that the glass from the downtown high rises could reach near six feet tall. Not to mention has anyone seen a pane of glass fall from any significant height. It similar to a peice fo paper first falling one direction then shifting another direction. We will suffer greatly and generally speaking the public is really not even aware. Now our planning in this state and ability to react in an emergency is way beyond what they had down there. None the less, look how long it took to get the riots under control in the 90's. That was with several agencies working on one particular area. Now imagine each of these agencies dealing with the devastation in their own areas and trying to curb unrest too.

The purpose of this comment is not to make everyone paranoid but to simply point out, who knows what that list may used for. I can tell you if they started going door to door collecting guns, they would be way more than overwhelmed with a task like that, to the point they could not accomplish anything else. I would bet some jackass politician might think it was a good idea though.

By the way, don't come to my house I am not prepared either. Ok, maybe a little.

artherd
03-05-2006, 11:55 PM
Wes, the problem is that Registration invariably leads to Confiscation.

With AW and .50BMG Rifle reg, they not only 'know you have guns' but know exactly what specific GUN you own, down to the S/N.

I'd much rather (legally, this is a hyopthetical people) have a select-fire M4 that the govies don't know about (fully assembled of course) than one that they DO know about.

Don't think it won't happen, DOJ already basically registered then confiscated such a little thing as Walther .22s.

Best!
Ben.

Yeah, since I have been a FFL, I realize now that anyone who has bought a handgun in the last decade or so already has their name on a list. Don't fool yourselves. They already know you have guns. Second, what are we hiding for? Why do you care if the government knows you have guns? If they ever come for them, why do you plan on hiding? Here is the scenario.

"Honey, the jack booted thugs are across the street taking Wes away. Keep our assault weapons hidden as I think they are coming across the street to get Bill next. Looks like after that they are going to go get Juan too. Just keep the handguns hidden. I know we live in a tyrannical state now and all personal freedom is lost, but I feel better having a hidden, disassembled gun that no one knows about so I can never use it again."

WTF? Seriously, if you plan on just hiding your weapons if they ever come for them, then what in the hell is the point in having them? Now, don't get me wrong, I would love for us to turn this state around and have a free society where you are not tracked like a criminal, we have to work on that. However, with the hand we have dealt here, it is illogical to have the "I want to hide from my government" attitude when the whole point of having firearms is to provide for the security of a free state. Even more illogical is the fact many of these people have handguns that they purchased in the last few years so they already have you in a database for sure. Now you true paranoid types that have never purchased a traceable firearms, I respect your effort a little bit. The other guys are just being irrational and inconsistent.

artherd
03-06-2006, 12:01 AM
I thought the world would be falling apart if police were going door to door taking away guns. Don't say never guys. My heart literally skipped a beat when I heard they were doing it in Louisianna after Katrina.
Shoot DOJ's done it, here, during total peacetime, and as a responce to their OWN burrecuratic screw-up (see SKS Sporters, Robinson M96s, and now Walther P22s for christ's sake!)

DOJ can practically trip on a bananna peal and accidentally confiscate your firearms these days. Imagine how bad it will be WHEN they start doing it on purpose or out of spite?

rkt88edmo
03-06-2006, 9:47 AM
Shoot DOJ's done it, here, during total peacetime, and as a responce to their OWN burrecuratic screw-up (see SKS Sporters, Robinson M96s, and now Walther P22s for christ's sake!)

When Bladewurk was posting about his Robinson I thought is was someone BS'ing on the board but confiscation definitely is a "can and will" situation.

For those of you who weren't looking at internet boards or following assweapon registration before the piddly debates you see here now are nothing compared to the raging "register or not" debates then.

tpliquid1
03-06-2006, 10:47 AM
I'd much rather (legally, this is a hyopthetical people) have a select-fire M4 that the govies don't know about (fully assembled of course) than one that they DO know about.

i'll liking to having one too

ocabj
03-06-2006, 12:14 PM
I can tell you right now that Assault Weapon ownership didn't disqualify me from getting a State job. I work for the University of California and when I got Livescanned (fingerprint and background check) they didn't ask me about my Assault Weapon registrations.

Builder
03-06-2006, 1:24 PM
:D
It might be different for the U.S. Postal Service....
Apologies;)
Just couldn't resist.

LCAZES
03-06-2006, 5:15 PM
Interesting thread. I would suggest that the jury is still out over what will happen concerning purchase of these lowers. What is obvious is that CA LE has not decided yet how to react to the purchase of these.......

shopkeep
03-06-2006, 6:17 PM
What is obvious is that CA LE has not decided yet how to react to the purchase of these.......

Actually they decided how to react to the off-list AR recievers fairly early on. They decided to purchase them and build them up into rifles just like we did. I have seen quite a few LEOs DROS and pick-up off-list lowers and one FFL even informed me several DOJ employees had purchased them as well.

The off-list AR recievers are VERY cool. When built up into a completed rifle they're also ALOT of fun too!

SkyStorm82
03-06-2006, 9:01 PM
Actually they decided how to react to the off-list AR recievers fairly early on. They decided to purchase them and build them up into rifles just like we did. I have seen quite a few LEOs DROS and pick-up off-list lowers and one FFL even informed me several DOJ employees had purchased them as well.

The off-list AR recievers are VERY cool. When built up into a completed rifle they're also ALOT of fun too!

Yup...I know quite a few deputies that bought lowers also.

tenpercentfirearms
03-06-2006, 9:21 PM
We sold to as many law enforcement as possible. Lets just say I won't be getting any speeding tickets in my area for at least a generation. :D