View Full Version : Who makes leather holsters?

05-03-2010, 2:40 PM
I am looking for a nice leather holster for my 1911 with thumb break that does not ride above the belt. (so far most of what ive seen are those canted types that place the middle of the pistol on the belt line) Can anyone suggest a brand name to start searching for?

05-03-2010, 2:59 PM
Check out Don Hume. Good bang for the buck.

05-03-2010, 3:01 PM
Check out Aker Leather. There is a member on here who I believe works for them and offers discounts for us CGN members.

They have a lot of different set ups that may be what you are looking for. Also try Galco, Desantis, Personally if you want a straight up draw, go with the serpa. Solid locking mechanism and a consistent draw and holster each time.

M. D. Van Norman
05-03-2010, 3:12 PM
Maybe El Paso Saddlery?

I think you can specify the cant on this model.

05-03-2010, 4:16 PM
So by the description is the OP looking for more of a traditional 'Border Patrol' or drop shank design? If so, many of the larger makers have been disco'ing them.

Might try Kirkpatrick Leather... (http://kirkpatrickleather.com/m_duty_holsters.htm) a little pricey, but very, very high quality and they will make to customer specification including color, plain, basket or other stamping, etc. Their TL-245, shown below, is a classic Border Patrol style and this illustration is with a 1911.

Their TL-MHL is a straight drop with a fully covered trigger guard.

Edited to add.... +1 for Aker Leather. I own several of their products and it is all top shelf leather gear.

05-03-2010, 8:48 PM
Although it doesn't have a thumb break, I've used a "Wild Bunch" holster for my Army .45 that I purchased from Dillion Precision for the past 10+ years. Worth a look.