PDA

View Full Version : New Glock - factory grease question.

23 Blast
05-03-2010, 11:53 AM
Hi all, I just got a new G19. I've played with it a bit and field-stripped it, but haven't yet cleaned off the factory oil and grease. I've heard that the coppery-looking grease inside the rails should be left alone during the first shooting session, but that only the barrel should be wiped clean.

What is the proper first-time-shooting procedure for the Glock?

tbhracing
05-03-2010, 12:07 PM
Is that mentioned in the Owners Manual by chance? I thought it was. :)

Dubels
05-03-2010, 12:14 PM
Just make sure the barrel is free from any obstructions and then leave the factory copper grease on there. I took it off after my first 1k rounds and used some lubriplate grease. It is part anti-seize and part lube it is good and as long as it is not filthy there is really no need to replace it. There really is not other first shot checklist items, just make sure nothing is blocking the barrel as the gun was tested at the factory.

23 Blast
05-03-2010, 12:18 PM
Thanks. No, tbhracing - nothing about it was mentioned in the manual.

Baconator
05-03-2010, 12:29 PM
It's a Glock, if it's like mine you shoot the crap out of it and every once in a while you throw a bore-snake down the barrel. I have a few thousand rounds through my 19 and I still have the copper lube on there.

Plisk
05-03-2010, 12:36 PM
Leave the factory copper colored grease in there. Just lube up your gun lightly and shoot it until all that grease is worn off. When that point comes, it means it's broken in. Don't take that stuff off.

tbhracing
05-03-2010, 12:40 PM
I thought for sure the copper grease was addressed somewhere in the new pistol package.

Good luck either way.

23 Blast
05-03-2010, 12:48 PM
No - no mention either way about the grease. I read on another website that the copper grease was supposed to be left alone, but no mention in the actual manual.

K9paulc
05-03-2010, 2:22 PM
The copper lube is mentioned and addressed on page #.37 of my Glock manual. It's under "Cleaning the field stripped pistol"- Slide. From page #37:

"Note that the copper colored lubricant found on portions of the slides of brand new Glock pistols should not be removed, as it will help to provide long tem lubrication of the slide."

tbhracing
05-03-2010, 2:35 PM
The copper lube is mentioned and addressed on page #.37 of my Glock manual. It's under "Cleaning the field stripped pistol"- Slide. From page #37:

I also have that in my Glock Owners Manual, page 37, 5th paragraph down.

QuarterBoreGunner
05-03-2010, 3:05 PM
Has anyone actually figured out what the factory copper looking grease is?

SFFRONTMAN
05-03-2010, 3:08 PM
I thought it was this
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d.html/ref=redir_mdp_mobile/189-2252442-2039346?a=B0006Q7H36

Nynvolt
05-03-2010, 3:16 PM
No - no mention either way about the grease. I read on another website that the copper grease was supposed to be left alone, but no mention in the actual manual.

page 37 of the user maual. In the paragraph SLIDE.

"Note the copper colored lubricant found on portions of the slide of brand new Glock pistols should not be removed, as it will help to provide long-term lubrication of the slide"

Page 33 covers cleaning etc.

Edit: Sorry, looks like I'm a post or two late.

bohoki
05-03-2010, 3:49 PM
that substance is meant to remain in place if a glock pistol is left factory fresh for years

oil would migrate

B16
05-03-2010, 4:10 PM
From what I've read on GlockTalk, that copper is there for long term durability. Some Glocks sit at the store for months or years before they are sold, so they add the copper grease to maintain the gun.

I left the grease in there after 1k rounds and cleaned it all out afterwards. After you start shooting it, most of the grease goes away.

den888
05-03-2010, 5:17 PM
I just visually inspect the barrel (to make sure it is clear) and then fire it with the factory lube. After the initial range session, I field strip, clean, and lube it with CLP.

Sinixstar
05-03-2010, 5:56 PM
The first time i shot mine - i broke it down just to see how exactly you do it. The place I bought it also had a range, so I wanted to break it down and make sure I had a handle on the process before I left, so I wasn't wrestling at home later if there were any gotchas (there were not, pretty simple process)

I've read in a number of places that the factory grease really doesn't last long. I definitely noticed that with mine. First trip out I ran about 300 rounds through it, and when i got it home and broke it down, it was pretty much gone. I re-lubed with a dab of Wilson Ultimalube, and have been pretty happy with that. I like the Ultimalube on the glock, cause it tends to stay in place pretty well. It's not like an oil that migrates and drips all over.

bucktooth7
05-03-2010, 9:13 PM
I'll tell ya what that copper stuff is. It's called Copper Guard, it's a high temp anti sieze compound used commonly in steel mills and foundrys, good stuff! I've used it for 25 years and most fasteners, exposed to extreme high temp , disassemble easily, and the slide on my glock 17 has never got stuck!

speeedracerr
05-03-2010, 10:14 PM
Dang... am i in trouble? I cleaned my brand new G19 and took that gold stuff off i think after i shot about 50 rounds...

Hmmm.... I just thought it was just lubricant, but glock "gold" brand.

Hope my G19 will be ok.

Nynvolt
05-04-2010, 11:03 AM
Dang... am i in trouble? I cleaned my brand new G19 and took that gold stuff off i think after i shot about 50 rounds...

Hmmm.... I just thought it was just lubricant, but glock "gold" brand.

Hope my G19 will be ok.

I did the same thing. I cleaned all the gunk out of the slide and barrel and ran to the gun range to test it out. It's no biggy.

1911su16b870
05-04-2010, 11:13 AM

Loctite copper based anti-sieze.

1911su16b870
05-04-2010, 11:19 AM
I was told in Armorer school that the copper anti-sieze is applied to assist in the storage prior to use and smoothing out/wearing in of the pistol/firing controls when in use. I liken it to the "0.50 cent" polishing job some folks do on their own pistols. IMO run your Glock for over 500 rounds break in, then clean it out and lube per Glock's recommendations and keep shooting.

Ed_in_Sac
05-04-2010, 11:24 AM
My Glock 19 does not seem to need a lot of lubrication to run well. Left the copper stuff untouched until it finally just disappeared. I always lube the four lugs on the frame with a "small" drop of lube just prior to reassembly. When cleaning, I usually just clean the bore then wipe down all other surfaces with oil and wipe it off leaving a very fine coat of lube for protection. I just blow the magazines out with some compressed air and wipe the lips with a clean patch to remove any debris.

Once did a extended defensive training class of three days and shot about 800 rounds, did not clean Glock, did not jam. Has about 3+k through it and would consider it as almost broken in. It does get shot fairly regularly and I think the couple of miss feeds were probably due to improper grip or reloaded ammo.

While I am no expert, it seems to be a very well engineered weapon and would not try to outthink the designers of goal of making it idiot proof...:-)))

elenius
05-04-2010, 11:30 AM
Hi all, I just got a new G19. I've played with it a bit and field-stripped it, but haven't yet cleaned off the factory oil and grease. I've heard that the coppery-looking grease inside the rails should be left alone during the first shooting session, but that only the barrel should be wiped clean.

What is the proper first-time-shooting procedure for the Glock?

Procedure? It's a glock! There ain't no stinkin' procedure! :)

!@#$
05-04-2010, 3:57 PM

a mix of grease and ground up rusted sig slides.;)