PDA

View Full Version : COLT DEFENDER OR KIMBER CDPII

hawk1547
05-03-2010, 12:08 PM
Hello Guys,
I'm looking for a lightweight and compact 1911 that I can concealed as my everyday carry gun.I wanted to see what thoughts and opinions you guys had.
Pros and cons please, and thanks for the help.

thefinger
05-03-2010, 3:33 PM
Get the Kimber. It's prettier, and like EVERYBODY on youtube has one. It must be good.

lol, but seriously.. I've heard nothing but good things about the Kimber CDP. If I had to choose I would get the Kimber.

dfletcher
05-03-2010, 4:08 PM
I have a Defender and I have a Springfield EMP - which is to say I have an $800.00 little 1911 and a $1,300.00 little 1911 and maybe the difference between the two helps with a Kimber comparison?

The trigger on the Defender is a bit long & creepy, no doubt to minimize hand work cost but also as a result of the trigger actuated firing pin block. Don't know if Kimber has the same, but I can definitely feel the difference between Colt & Springfield.

Defender finish is a bit more utilitarian, which is fine. The beavertail grip safety turns down and doesn't fit the frame tang very well. Sights are fine but I added a Champion adjustable.

I think each gun delivers pretty well for their price range, but there is definitely a difference.

Colt has a fair amount of "rattle & roll" in the slide fit, agai, don't think it makes much difference.

Mr. Beretta
05-03-2010, 4:09 PM
Here's a Colt Defender for sale in the classifieds.

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=277003

I love mine!

Good Luck!

VegasND
05-03-2010, 6:18 PM
I like my CDP II --a lot. However, I have fired my friend's Defender and like it just as well. The Kimber's appearance gets other people's attention better at the range, but since it's concealed when I carry it, that really doesn't matter. The reason I bought the CDP is nobody had the Defender in stock when I was looking.

YMMV

stormvet
05-03-2010, 6:49 PM
I would be happy with either one, but I own the Kimber. I bought a CDP-PRO back in 2001 when they were a just released. It is still my favorite and most carried gun, I am wearing it now in a M. Rosen IWB. I just replaced the recoil spring (for the third time) and the mepro light sights(front sight was starting to dim) The gun has never failed me and is a joy to shoot.
About a year and a half ago in the hieght of the gun craze, I stopped in a small local shop to buy primers(only guy that still had large pistol) and he had a new CDP-ULTRA in his case, he was asking $1100.00. I bought it on the spot and am very happy I did, 700 rounds fired and not one malfunction and almost as accurate as the pro.

But someday I would'nt be surprised if I came home with the Colt.

http://i188.photobucket.com/albums/z207/2814V/8-14-0945011.jpg

GunLover
05-04-2010, 6:57 AM
I have the CDP Pro also. I just bought it about 1.5 months ago. Had a few issues the first 250rnds and one FTF at about 350rnds but now after that it runs without any problems. I have about 600 rnds thru it and now since break in is over I just reloaded 250 rnds and will head out to the range this weekend. It is a very well built gun. I have owned about 6 other 1911s and this has been my favorite. Slide is tight and smooth as silk. I also currently have an Kimber Eclipse that I bought used from a great guy here at Calguns and it has never failed after 350 reloads and a couple of boxes of HPs.

I was thinking about it. If you want a 1911 for carry and buy it for 1175 like I did. You might as well add in the cost of break in ammo to the price of the gun since kimber says to run 500 rnds (Some say more) thru the gun as a break in period. So if you use WWB to break in your pistol your looking at an additional 200 dollars minimum before you can trust it in a SD situation.

hawk1547
05-04-2010, 10:01 AM
Thanks to everyone who replied,it helps! Keep it coming!This is exactly what I was wanting to hear.Which one will be more reliable, and more comfortable to carry all day?

CSACANNONEER
05-04-2010, 10:30 AM
My CDPII has been my goto and carry semi (during snake season, I carry a SP101) for about ten years. I've fired over well over 25K through it. I finally sent it to Kimber after I broke the hammer. It was the first broken hammer that Winslow had seen in 5 years. Anyway, They went through it, fixed all the little things I wanted done to it, replaced the night sites (without asking me) and sent it back to me with ZERO charges! You can not beat their customer service!

1911Operator
05-04-2010, 12:58 PM
have you looked at a para warthog? 45 acp 10+1
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y134/boss_406/RHX129E.jpg
I just bought one, still waiting till the 11th to pick up. mine has the alloy frame , night sights and no rail. para insists on a 300 round break in period. some people say one out of 100 rounds might have a problem, and there many others that say that they have put thousands of rounds with no problems. maybe the people with problems with their warthogs might be because they limp wrist it. its only got a 3" barrel and weights about 23 ounces. cant wait to shoot mine!

dfletcher
05-04-2010, 2:59 PM
I had a Warthog - grip's too fat for me to like in a small gun. A single stack alloy frame with that length of grip though would be the best I think.

Mac Attack
05-04-2010, 3:08 PM
I am a Colt fan and only own Colt 1911's. As much as it pains me to admit it I would choose the Kimber over a Defender because it has decent trigger, better fit and finish and non propriety sights. However I would take a Colt New Agent over them both.