PDA

View Full Version : Omaha CC stops robbery

D.T. Rouland
05-03-2010, 2:08 AM
I'm a little late with it but...

http://www.ketv.com/news/23275007/detail.html

OMAHA, Neb. --
An armed robber was shot and killed in an Omaha business Monday night, police said. Investigators said a customer intervened and fired on the gunman.

The robbery took place at the Walgreen’s store at 61st Street and Northwest Radial Highway at 8:50 p.m.

Police said two masked individuals walked into the store. One of them was armed with a short shotgun. The gunman pointed the weapon at customers and at the clerk behind the counter.

A man who had a permit to carry a gun saw the robber point the weapon at the clerk and pulled out his handgun and shot the suspect multiple times, police said. The robber, identified by police as 18-year-old Marquail Thomas, stumbled out of the store and collapsed.

Video: Attorney Gives Account Of Walgreen's Shooting

He was taken to Creighton University Medical Center, where he later died.

The man, Harry J. McCullough, 32, was cited because he didn't have a permit that allowed him to carry the gun concealed.

Douglas County Attorney Don Kleine

The second robbery suspect was detained until police arrived. Angelo Douglas, 17, has been arrested on suspicion of robbery and use of a weapon to commit a felony.

Investigators said McCullough was questioned and released after conferring with the Douglas County Attorney Don Kleine.

County Attorney: Shooter Justified

McCullough was in the store picking up prescriptions and buying ice cream when he decided to open fire on the suspected robber, his attorney said.

"My client acted quickly, responsibly, and certainly accurately," said attorney James Martin Davis.

The county attorney said McCullough acted quickly.

"He didn't let them get more than past the metal detectors," Kleine said. He decided he wouldn't file any charges, even adding that McCullough did the right thing.

"People shouldn't enter stores with short shotguns and try and rob people. And it's as simple as that. Fortunately, it turned out that the perpetrator was taken out, and the other perpetrator was arrested," Kleine said.

Davis said McCullough was crying in his office on Tuesday. He said McCullough was shaken up by what happened and will seek counseling.

The city prosecutor is still reviewing the citation against McCullough.

Where are our district attorneys when it comes to stuff like this? I remember recently someone posted a "self defense flow chart". One outcome was "go to jail". The other outcome was "Spend lots of money on a lawyer and maybe not go to jail". This guy got cited and the DA is looking at dropping it? You could shoot a rapist out here and not only spend time in a cell but get hit with a civil suit by the grieving family. Really? When did this all stop making sense?

xr650r
05-03-2010, 6:58 AM
I think civil suits should be barred for tort claims against people who neutralize persons committing violent felonies.

Window_Seat
05-03-2010, 7:08 AM
I think civil suits should be barred for tort claims against people who neutralize persons committing violent felonies.

^^ +many of us with brains.

Erik.

Window_Seat
05-03-2010, 9:34 AM
Post Gunfight News conference (http://www.ignatius-piazza-front-sight.com/2010/05/03/walgreens-shooting-another-great-post-gunfight-interview/#video)

The video I link is on a Front Sight page with advertising, the only reason I'm posting it is because if this ever happens, this is the way to conduct one's self in a news conference after a justified civilian involved shooting. Otherwise, I'm not a big fan of blatantly using any situation involving death for advertising.

Erik.

Maestro Pistolero
05-03-2010, 10:39 AM
A man who had a permit to carry a gun saw the robber point the weapon at the clerk and pulled out his handgun and shot the suspect multiple times, police said.

The man, Harry J. McCullough, 32, was cited because he didn't have a permit that allowed him to carry the gun concealed.What kind of permit allows one to carry, but not concealed?

pullnshoot25
05-03-2010, 10:40 AM
What kind of permit allows one to carry, but not concealed?

Security Guard Permit, for one.

Most permits are for the option of concealed carry though...

Paladin
05-03-2010, 8:37 PM
Dang! Reports like these keep rolling. I didn't even have a chance to update my list (linked in my sig line) w/the two from over the weekend and now we've got another.

I can't wait for CA to go "Shall Issue" so we (and the BGs) can start hearing reports on our local news (since the anti MSM national news will NEVER broadcast these).

Paladin
05-03-2010, 9:28 PM
Here's a 5 min interview w/the GG's attny that provides more details of the shoot: http://www.ketv.com/video/23288954/index.html

BGs must have thought they were the hot stuff coming in all dressed in black, w/gloves and masks on w/their sawed-off Rem. 870 yelling at everyone, "Nobody f**ing move! Nobody f***ing move!" That was, until one of the "sheep" turned out to be a CCWing sheepdog and took them DOWN ! ! !

CCWFacts
05-03-2010, 9:41 PM
Here's a 5 min interview w/the GG's attny that provides more details of the shoot:

The guy's lawyer: "My client responded quickly, responsibly... and, uh, certainly accurately!"

We will get it here. It will take a few years of criminals occasionally getting perforated, but they will learn, eventually, that there are limits in society, and that those who go outside those limits can't survive in society, because civilization will defend itself. Even in California.

Dr Rockso
05-04-2010, 12:12 AM
Just saw this article (http://www.ketv.com/news/23294535/detail.html) on the Omaha ABC affiliate's website. Nice opening sentence. "The defense attorney for a man who decided to open fire and kill a teenager who was attempting to rob a store said his client was a hero who engaged in a "righteous" shooting."

Makes it sound like the poor kid was just pocketing a snickers bar or something (instead of holding people at gunpoint with a SBS).

HskrVern
05-04-2010, 5:03 AM
What kind of permit allows one to carry, but not concealed?

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=295590

Mulay El Raisuli
05-04-2010, 8:02 AM
WOW! A lawyer I can respect. How often do ya see something like that?

The Raisuli

FatalKitty
05-04-2010, 8:22 AM
Just saw this article (http://www.ketv.com/news/23294535/detail.html) on the Omaha ABC affiliate's website. Nice opening sentence. "The defense attorney for a man who decided to open fire and kill a teenager who was attempting to rob a store said his client was a hero who engaged in a "righteous" shooting."

Makes it sound like the poor kid was just pocketing a snickers bar or something (instead of holding people at gunpoint with a SBS).

unfortunately, this is pretty much the case - theft of property is NOT a death sentence, and should not be. The kid pointed a shotgun, is that right? nope. did he kill or cause physical harm? nope. I'm NOT saying we should just stand by and wait until a crime is committed to act, but it seams as tho the citizen had a decent drop on the suspect seeing as he was able to draw a concealed firearm and discharge it. Too bad the situation was so violent that there was no other way to react than with further violence. The fact that the kid then crawled out of the store bleeding to death rather than returning fire is another indication that this could have been handled differently. I'm sure the citizen feels the same way at this point - feeling a little guilty for having no other method of stopping him.
I don't want anyone to think that I am saying the citizen was WRONG, indeed - he acted quickly, defensively, and all his shots hit target. Good job, and maybe if this sort of thing happens more often, people won't feel so compelled to walk into a public place and demand things at force that they haven't earned

at least no one ELSE got hurt

EDITED FOR CLARITY - the underlined parts

Dr Rockso
05-04-2010, 8:38 AM
unfortunately, this is pretty much the case - theft of property is NOT a death sentence, and should not be. The kid pointed a shotgun, is that right? nope. did he kill or cause physical harm? nope. I'm NOT saying we should just stand by and wait until a crime is committed to act, but it seams as tho the citizen had a decent drop on the suspect seeing as he was able to draw a concealed firearm and discharge it. The fact that the kid then crawled out of the store bleeding to death rather than returning fire is another indication that this could have been handled differently. I'm sure the citizen feels the same way at this point - feeling a little remorse for playing judge, jury, executioner.
I don't want anyone to think that I am saying the citizen was WRONG, indeed - he acted quickly, defensively, and all his shots hit target. Good job, and maybe if this sort of thing happens more often, people won't feel so compelled to walk into a public place and demand things at force that they haven't earned

Seriously? Judge, jury, and executioner?

The robber was pointing a shotgun at innocent people, and if you watch the interview you'll see that one of McCullough's bullets actually impacted inside the shotgun's barrel (meaning that the shotgun was pointed at him at some point). Looks like the antis are trying to make a fuss about the robber's shotgun being empty which doesn't change a damn thing, legally or situationally for the victims (and by 'victims' I don't mean the criminal who lost his life or his buddy).

NiteQwill
05-04-2010, 8:46 AM
FatalKitty, what are you smoking? Because I want some, too. Your rationale is simply amazing.

I guess we should all wait until the BG points the gun at us, fires, and reloads. Then we should fire back. Please. :rolleyes:

NiteQwill
05-04-2010, 9:47 AM
The guy was pointing a shotgun at the clerk. The last thing you want to do is yell at him; if you have the element of surprise, fire away. Giving a verbal warning will only escalate to a shootout with more possible dead.

Window_Seat
05-04-2010, 10:52 AM
The kid pointed a shotgun, is that right? nope.

Pay attention to this because it proves beyond a reasonable doubt that the CC was acting in self defense of himself, as the suspect WAS indeed pointing a shotgun AT THE CC:
Seriously? Judge, jury, and executioner?

The robber was pointing a shotgun at innocent people, and if you watch the interview you'll see that one of McCullough's bullets actually impacted inside the shotgun's barrel (meaning that the shotgun was pointed at him at some point). Looks like the antis are trying to make a fuss about the robber's shotgun being empty which doesn't change a damn thing, legally or situationally for the victims (and by 'victims' I don't mean the criminal who lost his life or his buddy).

Erik.

Havoc70
05-04-2010, 10:58 AM
I wasn't there - who knows, maybe the guy got the drop on the suspect and shouted "drop your weapon or i'll fire" as the suspect turned, the man opened fire as warned - that would be fine... I was just making a comment on the fact that this kid is now DEAD for trying to rob a store, an 18 year old kid who made a number of bad decisions that lead to his death. sucks for him

A "kid" is not dead. A potentially violent criminal is now dead. A person entering a store, armed with a lethal weapon and brandishing it threateningly is automatic cause for justifiable homicide, even in this jacked up state.

Also, that "kid" entered with a known gang member, and another known gang member was driving the getaway car. Good riddance, I say.

His mom had an interesting quote:

The past year made her realize she had lost contact with the son she once knew, the mother said.

"I slept well last night and the night before for the first time, and it really felt good because I didn't have to wonder where my son is at," she said.

(http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/36855840/ns/local_news-omaha_ne/)

FatalKitty
05-04-2010, 11:20 AM
I think in the given situation, I would have done the same thing... as already stated, guy acted quickly and responsibly... what I meant to say, and perhaps I should have worded more clearly... was that its a bummer he had to die for his actions, its unfortunate there was no other way to handle it. I didn't mean that people shouldn't stop violence or potential violence... someday there will be a way to do so without the use of deadly force. Sorry for the confusion

kcbrown
05-04-2010, 5:42 PM
WOW! A lawyer I can respect. How often do ya see something like that?

Around here? A lot.

In the world at large? Not as much.

POLICESTATE
05-04-2010, 6:03 PM
It's a tragic story because a young man lost his life, but it's no more tragic than a young person losing their life through noncriminal misadventure, and certainly a bit less at the least. He put himself in a position where the possibility of being shot, either by the cops, or some other person was higher than normal and fate dealt him a bad hand.

Fact, if that guy didn't try robbing that Walgreen's with a shotgun he'd still be around today. I feel more sympathy for the GG than the dead perp. The perp made a decision, even if he only subconsciously realized it, to put himself into a position where he could get killed. He might as well have tried walking out in front of a bus for all the good it would do him.

Cold attitude? Maybe. But as you get older you start to realize that if people are responsible for their own actions then they get what they get. It's like the Bible says in a few places "their blood is on their own head."

Mulay El Raisuli
05-05-2010, 7:26 AM
Around here? A lot.

In the world at large? Not as much.

If by "here" you mean Calguns, I must agree.

From MSNBC

The past year made her realize she had lost contact with the son she once knew, the mother said.

"I slept well last night and the night before for the first time, and it really felt good because I didn't have to wonder where my son is at," she said.

As happy as I am about this all played out, I gotta say that I really feel for his mom. I'm going to say a prayer for her.

Now a question for Havoc70.

Gun bans don't disarm criminals, gun bans attract them. – Walter Mondale

Walter Mondale said this?????

The Raisuli

BobB35
05-05-2010, 7:40 AM
unfortunately, this is pretty much the case - theft of property is NOT a death sentence, and should not be. The kid pointed a shotgun, is that right? nope. did he kill or cause physical harm? nope. I'm NOT saying we should just stand by and wait until a crime is committed to act, but it seams as tho the citizen had a decent drop on the suspect seeing as he was able to draw a concealed firearm and discharge it. The fact that the kid then crawled out of the store bleeding to death rather than returning fire is another indication that this could have been handled differently. I'm sure the citizen feels the same way at this point - feeling a little remorse for playing judge, jury, executioner.

methinks this might be an LEO not so happy with someone defending themselves from the bad people in the world. Newsflash, in other states people have the right and the means to defend themselves. Often times they actually do use both.

FatalKitty
05-05-2010, 9:38 AM
It's a tragic story because a young man lost his life, but it's no more tragic than a young person losing their life through noncriminal misadventure, and certainly a bit less at the least. He put himself in a position where the possibility of being shot, either by the cops, or some other person was higher than normal and fate dealt him a bad hand.

Fact, if that guy didn't try robbing that Walgreen's with a shotgun he'd still be around today. I feel more sympathy for the GG than the dead perp. The perp made a decision, even if he only subconsciously realized it, to put himself into a position where he could get killed. He might as well have tried walking out in front of a bus for all the good it would do him.

Cold attitude? Maybe. But as you get older you start to realize that if people are responsible for their own actions then they get what they get. It's like the Bible says in a few places "their blood is on their own head."

you make a good point, and I agree