PDA

View Full Version : BUIS revisited for me

Gnote
03-04-2006, 5:45 PM
I've been trying to read up on BUIS and I am going brain dead. I'm getting to the point where I figure they are all the same (and I know that is wrong).

I have narrowed it down to three sights. The Troy (not sure if it is worth the price tag), GG&G MAD ($125), and ARMS #40 L SP ($100).

These will go on a Stag 2L (his) and Stag 2H (hers). His also has an EOTech 5.11 if that matters. I don't think we will shot it over 100 yards and will most likely be shooting at 50 yard. We tend to baby all of our firearms so these wont be any different.

I understand the Troy is the most rugged but will the others hold up well enough and hold zero with typical abuse? The GG&G seems good because it can be flipped with either the large or small apeture in place. Is the MAD as durable as the ARMS? The $40 L SP is the cheapest but when flipped, the smaller ap is in place and I think it has to be in the small ap mode in order to flip down.

Any advice you folks can give is MUCH appreciated. If you know of where I can get these for less, I would appreciate a link as well. We will be getting two and possibly the GG&G accucam for the EOTech.

jmlivingston
03-04-2006, 6:32 PM
I'm curious why you might have ruled out two of the others, YHM and Midwest Industries? I've seen these advertised and have been trying to decide myself.

John

markymark
03-04-2006, 6:54 PM
i was thinking of getting a yhm

Gnote
03-04-2006, 7:10 PM
I'm curious why you might have ruled out two of the others, YHM and Midwest Industries? I've seen these advertised and have been trying to decide myself.

John

I really have no good reason to rule them out. This was the reasons why I limited myself to the three. The TROY seems like it is beloved in the AR world. Read good things about GG&G in general when researching the Accucam and I liked the idea of a rotating ap that is still same plane. The #40L SP was because the Stag 2H/L upper comes standard with the #40 but I liked the idea of the #40L better because of the EOTech.

Turtle
03-04-2006, 7:48 PM
I give the YHM folding front and rear sights a BIG thumbs up. I have
two sets on flattops with Picatinny gas blocks. One with a C-More
Railway red dot and the other with Eotech 551. They co-witness
very nice and function great. JMHO :D

Gnote
03-05-2006, 4:00 PM
From the results so far, it sounds like I might as well save a couple of buck.

sszeto
03-05-2006, 4:03 PM
I guess I'll be getting a LMT replica rear sight from Ebay.

shopkeep
03-05-2006, 4:08 PM
ARMS #40 for me... true it's the least creative and it's the one everyone else has, but it works VERY well. If you're looking for something exotic or unusual try some of the flip-ups from Samco.

xenophobe
03-05-2006, 4:28 PM
Troy, GGG, Matech, ARMS, Knight... they all make great, high quality sights.... pick the ones that you like.

Gnote
03-05-2006, 5:02 PM
For others looking, I came across this website that shows pictures of different ones and a matrix on them.

http://coloradoshooting.org/buis.htm

Jicko
03-05-2006, 5:54 PM
Gnote..

Give me a day or 2, I'll post pics of Stag 1H(2H), ARMS#40, EOTech 552 + YHM-220 EOTech riser(1/4in rise). This *should* be 1/3 co-witness. I'll post sight pic too.

I don't like the #40L cuz every time you wanna use the large aperture rear sight, you need to flip down the small aperture one. And you can ONLY flip down the sight if the small aperture is UP.
ie. if you have ur #40L down, in order to use the large aperture sight, you'd need to flip up the sight, and flip down the small aperture piece..... and to flip down the sight, you would have to flip up the small aperture... before you can flip down the sight.... (this whole process is SO annoying, yet... this IS... BUis)

Therefore I end up ordering the #40.
And I want co-witness... but i ONLY want 1/3 or 1/4 co-witness... hence the YHM220

- JR

glen avon
03-05-2006, 5:58 PM
which fold down model is windage adjustable and elevation adjustable and works with the A2 front sight base, not the flattop version?

elmo
03-05-2006, 6:12 PM
which fold down model is windage adjustable and elevation adjustable and works with the A2 front sight base, not the flattop version?

i know nights makes one that is elevation adjustable. there is a lil lever on the side you can use to adjust.

but for the most part BUIS are not elevation adjustable.

I have the YHM buis and a DPMS one. Both work well for me. Try differnet ones, and pick the one you like the most.

glen avon
03-05-2006, 7:01 PM
which front sight base do you have? F marked or regular A2?