View Full Version : Chinook fail

05-02-2010, 9:21 PM
Having not gone fishing in a few weeks I was itching to get out on the water. My day started off at 0300 when I left to pick up Jeremy. After packing his gear in the car we were on our way by around 0330.

With not much open waters this time of year the choices were limited. I didn’t really feel like making a day trip to the eastern part of the state. Nor did I feel like hitting that brown trout spot in the other direction, as I am bored with that place. So we were off in a completely different direction.

As we made our way into the mountains in the early morning snow began to fall. It was pretty nice seeing the trees with a nice fresh dusting of snow. As we climbed in elevation the snow grew a little heavier. Once we started down the other side of the mountains the snow turned to rain then stopped.

After a little while we arrived at the first spot we were going to fish that day.

WE got out of the car and got geared up and made our way to the water. Jeremy started up river about 200 yards or so at the top of the run. I began to fish the bottom of the run. After a little while I thought I felt a small tug. I dismissed it as a snag and went to retrieve my line. Well you see it wasn’t a snag, it was a little dink trout that was about 12”. I thought it funny that it even went after the fly that I was fishing (At the time I was fishing an Alaskabou in chartreuse and white). I removed the hook and resumed fishing. All either of us caught from the first spot were dink bows so we decided to move on.

The second spot that we fished well was not great. Hell there weren’t even any dinks to keep things interesting. After a little while we decided to move again.

The third spot proved to be an interesting place.

We both fished for a while catching dinks. However in this spot both of us got a couple of really good tugs. I am not sure what happened with Jeremy’s; but for me I got a bad hook set once and missed the second.

Later in the day there were all sorts of bug activity on the water.

After not much luck other than dinks, I decided to walk up river a ways.

Continued due to 6 photo per post limit

05-02-2010, 9:22 PM

Up here there was a little more action, however not from the species that I was targeting. More trout came up and then I got this.

I continued fishing and got what I thought was a solid tug. I set the hook and it felt like a fish. I was pretty happy as this “fish” seemed more active that the little guys and the sucker. Unfortunately when I got it in and it was a nice rectangular piece of wood with my hook buried firmly in the middle. I tell you it felt awesome in the current!

As the day was drawing to an end, I noticed an eagle sitting in the tree across the river. Only having a point and shoot I attempted to take a picture.

We decided to leave shortly afterwards. Although it was a bit early and we technically got skunked as far as the targeted species, we had fun (although 5-12" fish on a 9wt suck ;) ). It was good to get out, and to go fishing. After I dropped off Jeremy and I was on my way home I got a bit of good news. My wife informed me that she won the Sage SPL auction on eBay. So now I have another SPL in my collection.

I guess I will give it a couple of weeks then head back up there. Hopefully I will be able to catch what I am after. I hope you enjoyed my report.

05-02-2010, 9:27 PM
nice pics

05-02-2010, 9:44 PM
Thought this was gonna be about you fishing and watching an actual Chinook do a crash landing or something.....this thread did not deliver. ;)

05-03-2010, 8:54 AM
Filet-o-sucker is the best bait for browns a guy can get.

For you "Fly-guys" carve a piece of filet into a sculpin imitation. Or just tie some hackle on a #6 hook, thread on a tapered piece of filet so it looks like a muddler minnow. Just don't let your buddies see you with a hunk of dead fish tied onto to the end of your $300 Sage.

Cats and smallies will destroy it too.

05-03-2010, 9:05 AM

I long to live in places such as that, I envy those of you who have been able to find decent work, and buy/make a home. One day soon I hope.

05-03-2010, 9:06 AM
Nice pictures. When I saw the thread title, I was imagining a CH-47 ****hook augering into the ground.

05-03-2010, 8:01 PM
Thought this was gonna be about you fishing and watching an actual Chinook do a crash landing or something.....this thread did not deliver. ;)

Nice pictures. When I saw the thread title, I was imagining a CH-47 ****hook augering into the ground.

You California boys realize that Chinook are a type of salmon right ;)