PDA

View Full Version : Another CAAK

wayoutwest
03-04-2006, 4:32 PM
Well here is my new CA AK it is built from a 1971 Russian kit with mostly matching numbers. It is built on one the NDS-3 receivers (thanks Tonynorcal and SJGE ).

The lower handguard is from a milled kit as well as the smooth top cover. The front trunion, trigger guard and rear block are all riveted in, they turned out ok. US parts include 1) receiver, 2) Slant brake, 3) Hammer, 4) Trigger, 5) Disconnect 6) Pistol grip, 7) Follower.

The rifle is finished in Alumi-hyde II in matte black ( I am not happy with the finish, so if anyone has a sandblast set-up at home, I will treat for pizza or beer) the wood has been refinished by a fella named Z recto from the other AK boards, he also made the pistol grip.

The mag is fixed in place with a 5/16 bolt though the trigger guard into the inside of the mag release (thanks Tyler).

http://www.gunco.net/gallery/data/500/medium/Russian_1971_1_.JPG

http://www.gunco.net/gallery/data/500/medium/Russian_1971_6_.JPG

http://www.gunco.net/gallery/data/500/medium/Russian_1971_2_.JPG

glen avon
03-04-2006, 4:51 PM
NICE.

ain't that selector stop a b!tch? I'd like to find a semi version.

wood is especially nice. know which stain it is?

bwiese
03-04-2006, 4:52 PM
Remove the gas system (piston) and block the gas port.
Then you can get rid of the fixed mag. If you happen to have a 30rd AK mag you had before 2000, you can then use it.

markymark
03-04-2006, 5:21 PM
damn with all these new ak builds i'm wanting an ak :mad:

Okami
03-04-2006, 5:29 PM
Beautiful rifle!

~Okami

Black Majik
03-04-2006, 5:32 PM
Thats honestly an AK too beautiful to bang up :D

Very nice...

xenophobe
03-04-2006, 5:45 PM
I'm going to print this out and show the guys! Looks great! Built so fast no less!

blkA4alb
03-04-2006, 5:49 PM
all i can say is wow, you have exactily what i want right there. the only thing i would do is have the wood be a little lighter stain, but that things awesome!!!:D :eek: :D

Tyler
03-04-2006, 5:53 PM
The wood looks great, well the whole gun looks great. Very nice work.

saki302
03-04-2006, 6:21 PM
If you have big meaty hands, why not just pull the pistol grip, and de-pin the mag? Create the pseudo-saiga!

It works just fine IF you wear L or XL glove size. To shoot it comfortably, you need to be able to reach the trigger while grasping the buttstock.

-Dave

morepoop4u
03-04-2006, 6:54 PM
Was your barrel pin easy to remove. Mine is kicking my ***:mad: Damn Romys why couldn't you use antiseize...

icormba
03-04-2006, 7:45 PM
all i can say is wow, you have exactily what i want right there. the only thing i would do is have the wood be a little lighter stain, but that things awesome!!!:D :eek: :D

Looks perfect for a Russian finish ;)

http://tantal.kalashnikov.guns.ru/parts3.html

Very nice looking rifle there!

VeryCoolCat
03-04-2006, 8:08 PM
Every ak i've seen with a non-detachable mag is such a pain to reload, or is there somthing I'm missin here.

dwtt
03-04-2006, 9:38 PM
Was your barrel pin easy to remove. Mine is kicking my ***:mad: Damn Romys why couldn't you use antiseize...
You're not the only one. :(

Hanniballs
03-04-2006, 10:05 PM
DAMN YOU!!! I was thinking about getting an AK but decided not to.. After looking at your pics its just so...... sooo..... beautiful... I'm going to gun exchange tomorrow to start my DROS.

I'll be running a detachable mag setup by Removing the gas system and blocking the gas port. Otherwise loading it seems like a total PITA.

hiyabrad
03-04-2006, 10:05 PM
Super nice job man

shopkeep
03-04-2006, 11:27 PM
If california legal AK-47s were an art gallery, your build is its Mono Lisa. _VERY_ Impressive :D!

Pablo
03-05-2006, 1:55 AM
The rifle is finished in Alumi-hyde II in matte black ( I am not happy with the finish, so if anyone has a sandblast set-up at home, I will treat for pizza or beer)

What's wrong with the finish, in the pictures it looks pretty good!

socalguns
03-05-2006, 2:54 AM
So how do yo load?

sintax
03-05-2006, 9:40 AM
So how do yo load?

My guess would be through the ejection port

glen avon
03-05-2006, 10:29 AM
hey all, I just put the receiver stub and trunnion assy in my 6" craftsman vise, and smacked away with a sears companion (i.e., cheap chinese) ,1/4" punch. I expected to trash the punch but did not, the pin came right out, even with a bit of galling. I had soaked the pin area in kroil for 2 weeks, dunno if that helped or not.

wayoutwest
03-05-2006, 8:22 PM
Everyone, thanks for the kind words on my build. I hope to see others as they get them completed.

hey all, I just put the receiver stub and trunnion assy in my 6" craftsman vise, and smacked away with a sears companion (i.e., cheap chinese) ,1/4" punch. I expected to trash the punch but did not, the pin came right out, even with a bit of galling. I had soaked the pin area in kroil for 2 weeks, dunno if that helped or not.

That is probably what it it. That stuff works wonders

Pablo Quote:
Originally Posted by wayoutwest

The rifle is finished in Alumi-hyde II in matte black ( I am not happy with the finish, so if anyone has a sandblast set-up at home, I will treat for pizza or beer)

What's wrong with the finish, in the pictures it looks pretty good!

Pablo I think the can was old, or maybe I didnt shake it long enough but the paint came out pretty wet/thick and then I only let it sit 3 days before putting in the selector lever and realy scratched the shi_ out of it.

icormba
03-09-2006, 5:48 PM
Think I'll bump this one again... looks so darn'ed good!! :)

hiyabrad
03-09-2006, 8:30 PM
Regarding loading the fixed mag, how do you do that?

Has anyone considered modding the top cover to allow top down access to the mag ala DSA California FALs? Would that work?

Tyler
03-09-2006, 10:05 PM
What would you do with the gas piston? Just load through the port. People keep saying it is hard but i bet not one of them have really tried it. I load through the ejection port and it is just as fast as loading a mag outside of the gun.

crs1
03-10-2006, 8:59 AM
Its like loading a bolt action rifle with a low scope rail over the mag/port...Its not "tactical", but, its all we've got right now.

superhondaz50
03-10-2006, 8:03 PM
Did your NDS-3 receiver have the rails installed?

calAWBsux
03-10-2006, 8:12 PM
Uh, this is making me regret selling my EWBANKS receiver....

stator
03-11-2006, 10:04 AM

My NDS-3 and the NDS for Yogo trunions do have them. Came from TGE as well. They also have the center support.

wayoutwest
03-11-2006, 10:01 PM

Just as Stator stated the NDS3 come with the rails welded in as well as the center support.

FWIW, all the holes lined up great with my trunion and rear block, the receivers are made for single hook triggers, keep that in mind when ordering US parts.

JHC
03-12-2006, 7:27 AM
It's very easy to dremil the extra notch for a double hook trigger if you order the wrong one,..like I did.:o

wayoutwest
03-12-2006, 9:31 AM
It's very easy to dremil the extra notch for a double hook trigger if you order the wrong one,..like I did.:o

Nice

I only had a double hook at home when I built my so I dremeled off the extra hook on the trigger.;)

BigMac
03-12-2006, 9:46 AM
the NDS 3's are very nice recievers. I do not like Eubanks. I have seen some that will work but I have one that will not. The rails are bent past 90 deg. The ejector is crooked. Trash.... expensive trash but trash none the less.

Charliegone
03-12-2006, 2:03 PM
the NDS 3's are very nice recievers. I do not like Eubanks. I have seen some that will work but I have one that will not. The rails are bent past 90 deg. The ejector is crooked. Trash.... expensive trash but trash none the less.

Man that sucks BigMac. You probably got that first batch that came out pretty bad.

superhondaz50
03-12-2006, 2:45 PM
How long did it take for NDS to ship your receiver after mailing your payment?

snobordr
03-13-2006, 10:22 PM
Man that sucks BigMac. You probably got that first batch that came out pretty bad.

No, sounds like par for the course to me for spEwbanks.

:D

Wondering if the OP could be so kind as to give me a rough overall length measuerment, say, tip of slant brake to *** end of receiver?

Just wondering :rolleyes:

snobordr
03-13-2006, 10:23 PM
How long did it take for NDS to ship your receiver after mailing your payment?

Its fast enough that you should just run and do it tonite!

Promise, you will not be disappointed.

vrylak
03-14-2006, 8:49 AM
NDS3s are great.

I got a Hungarian kit and the all the trunion, trigger holes lined up perfectly! It's as if I sent the kit to him to get fitted with the my receiver.

Just wished Harlan could add a 1.6mm option aside from a 1.0mm thickness available. The receiver remnant that I took off my kit was way thicker.

snobordr
03-14-2006, 9:38 AM
NDS3s are great.

I got a Hungarian kit and the all the trunion, trigger holes lined up perfectly! It's as if I sent the kit to him to get fitted with the my receiver.

Just wished Harlan could add a 1.6mm option aside from a 1.0mm thickness available. The receiver remnant that I took off my kit was way thicker.

1.6mm bah... you are talking a whopping .024" (not even really) on each side. Nodak has plenty on their plate already....

:D

superhondaz50
03-14-2006, 9:40 AM
Its fast enough that you should just run and do it tonite!
Sent out payment to NDS yesterday, just waiting for them to tell me it's been shipped so I can DROS it! I think i'll go with a no features build, makes more sense to me. I will probably pick up a parts kit & compliance parts at the upcoming costa mesa gun show:D

Rumpled
04-04-2006, 12:47 PM
Back to the original rifle in this post.
Did you finish just the receiver or everything or selected parts?

I'm wondering what to do as I get to building my first. Just got a really nice Romanian kit form Bocefus I think I would just do the receiver, maybe the dustcover and trigger guard.

Jeff Rambo
04-04-2006, 1:09 PM
Argh! Beautiful. I am Anti-AK and even I want one...