PDA

View Full Version : Sight options options on an AR build.

highspeed11
03-04-2006, 11:42 AM
I'm getting ready to finally purchase my lower. I have a few ideas as to how I want the upper to turn out. One thing I really want is a non-traditional sight picture.

I used to have an M4 and could never get used to the rear aperature. Does anybody make sights that look more like this?
http://homestudy.ihea.com/shootingskills/11sightpic.htm

I may one day go with some sort of optical dot as well but for now prefer iron sights.

highspeed11
03-05-2006, 8:59 AM
I know I goofed the subject line and all, but nobody has any idea about these style sights? :(

tenpercentfirearms
03-05-2006, 9:00 AM
I don't know of anyone who makes one of those. You would need a flattop upper in order to make it work. Just get an EOTech or an Aimpoint.

-hanko
03-05-2006, 9:24 AM
Simple...cutting off the upper half of the aperture will give you exactly what your link shows: a notched rear sight with a radiused slot. Front sight is already a post.

Not a good idea; your eye picks up the sight picture faster with a circular rear aperture, that's why the ar rear sight is designed like it is. I'm not sure why you feel you need a non-traditional sight picture...you want bolt action sights on a weapon designed for a completely different purpose. Longer range accuracy also will definitely bite with an open sight compared to one with an aperture.

You asked.

-hanko

highspeed11
03-05-2006, 4:19 PM
Looks as if I found what I was looking for here, http://www.dlsports.com/cqb.html
A little spendy but it's the design I was looking for.

Like I said I may go Aimpoint or EOtech someday but that's not what I prefer. Used to have am M68. Fun, but I still chose iron sights with my PAQ4 mounted in a way that it blocked a portion my rear aperature. Accurate for me out to 300 meters and I'm not the best shot.

jmlivingston
03-05-2006, 4:44 PM
One of the AIMS rear sights has the standard peephole, but on the top of the sight is notched for shooting out to longer distances.

That D&L sight is pretty cool, I hadn't seen that one before. Too pricy for me though! I'll stick with the peep that served me well in the Army....

John