PDA

View Full Version : Kalifornia messing with Oklahoma gun rights

big red
05-02-2010, 2:52 PM
Any comments-As if our reputation is not bad enough. We can't even contain it.

California anti-gun group attempts to derail Oklahoma open carry vote
May 1, 8:32 PMFort Smith Gun Rights ExaminerSteve D.

ShareThis

www.ok.gov

The liberal anti-gun group, Legal Community Against Violence (as if gun rights groups are for violence) has stuck their nose into the current Oklahoma legislative session in an attempt to stop HB 3354, the open carry bill. LCAV is a group of far-left lawyers from San Francisco who attempt to push their gun-grabbing views upon local governments, rather than antagonize at the federal level.

According to a Tulsa World article, LCAV staff attorney Lindsay Nicholls says:

Police are often called to a scene because someone has a weapon, and responders can't quickly determine whether the gun is owned legally.

HB 3354 will allow only trained persons with a concealed carry to open carry. If a police officer is concerned about whether the person with a gun is carrying legally or not, Oklahoma law requires the permit holder to immediately provide proof of legality. Attorney Nicholls should read the Oklahoma Self-Defense Act (good advice for a lawyer) before stating inaccuracies. In addition, a 2006 FBI study states that criminals will not openly carry a firearm; they either conceal it or they brandish it when they are committing the crime. The following quote is from a U.S. News and World Report article from last week:

The 2006 FBI study "Violent Encounters: A Study of Felonious Assaults on Our Nation's Law Enforcement Officers" by Anthony Pinizzotto revealed that criminals carefully conceal their firearms, and they eschew the use of holsters. In layman's terms, this report tells us that, statistically speaking, citizens who are openly wearing a properly holstered handgun and are willing to subject themselves to the intense public and law enforcement scrutiny that open carry brings with it are not criminals.

In all my conversations with law enforcement, almost all say they would rather a person they are contacting have the firearm out in the open where they can see it, rather than have one concealed.

Attorney Nicholls goes on to say:

There's no way for officers to know that people are just exercising their rights

I might be biased toward Oklahomans, but doesn’t this quote sound a little condescending, coming from an elite lawyer from California? Using the phrase, “just exercising their rights” in that sentence reeks of the insinuation we shouldn’t be trusted with our rights. Furthermore, police should not be called if a person is not breaking the law.

How are Oklahoma citizens going to react to liberal Californians telling them how to write gun laws? We shall soon see, because HB 3354 will come up for House vote in the coming week. Interested parties should contact their representative very soon and let them know how they feel.

chris
05-02-2010, 2:53 PM
Oklahoma should tell those liberal lawyers in S.F. to go and F themselves.

Scratch705
05-02-2010, 3:00 PM
they will shrug it off, no one listens to any californians outside of california...

The Director
05-02-2010, 3:05 PM
Why is LCAV meddling there? I'm glad they come off as what they are....a bunch of nosy left leaning former hippies that piss themselves when they see a gun.

Losers.....

bwiese
05-02-2010, 3:17 PM
We probably should alert gunnies in free states when LCAV leaves town.

vantec08
05-02-2010, 3:20 PM
They just piss people off wherever they go .. . . and it seems the public is starting to notice. Finally.

N6ATF
05-02-2010, 3:23 PM
Are the members of LCAV criminal defense lawyers? It's one thing to defend them in a courtroom, it's another thing to disarm their victims for them.

Sorry guys, we don't care if it's bad for business, we're going to shoot your potential clients if they try to kill/rape/maim/whatever us first. :rolleyes:

CCWFacts
05-02-2010, 3:33 PM
The sad thing is, LCAV isn't a California group. It's a front for the Joyce Foundation, an extremely well-funded far-left foundation based out of Chicago, devoted to turning the US into a kinder gentler version of North Korea probably.

onikuma
05-02-2010, 4:32 PM
they will shrug it off, no one listens to any californians outside of california...

ain't this the truth. just got back from a trip from nevada. stopped in a gun store there just to drool. i noticed a sign at the counter:

Californians: We don't care what you think.

pretty much sums it up ;)

tonelar
05-02-2010, 6:11 PM
LCAV and their kind are reaching out to other states, because each one that goes "shall issue" or "pro open carry" will have a decrease in violent crime. This, in turn, provides more and more data for the pro-self defense / pro-gun arguement.

How are these antis going to survive when they're exposed for the hoplophobes they really are?

berto
05-02-2010, 7:36 PM
Are the members of LCAV criminal defense lawyers? It's one thing to defend them in a courtroom, it's another thing to disarm their victims for them.

Sorry guys, we don't care if it's bad for business, we're going to shoot your potential clients if they try to kill/rape/maim/whatever us first. :rolleyes:

LCAV staff attorneys work for LCAV.

A lot of the work is done pro-bono by attorneys from some of the largest firms in SF and the nation. Very few are criminal defense attorneys.

D_fens
05-02-2010, 7:49 PM
That's some funny stuff. The LCAV is trying to stop a Pro-Gun Bill in Oklahoma? If me spending months there has taught me anything, they should prepare to be (figuratively, of course) shot down. :rofl2:

Hopefully I won't be proven wrong.

MP301
05-02-2010, 7:56 PM
Yeah, this really pisses me off because no one will automatically figure out that this is connected to the Chicago Joyce Foundation and those from other states will lump all CA people into one group. We might all be seen as the enemy...

The positive here, in my view, is now maybe those from free states should understand how important it is (if properly explained to them) to support CA pro gun forces...because if they dont, then CA's anti gun stupidity tends to leak out into free states from time to time. This could be considered a ptime example..

big red
05-02-2010, 11:07 PM
You may be right about Chicago but the people in Oklahoma only see them as coming from San Francisco and I believe that is how the LCAV represented themselves. So guess who gets the blackeye. I hope they get their a--es kicked back there the old fashion way but I think we should be aware that this crap in California is starting to spread because they think they have us beaten. When you look at the candidates for governor there might be some logic to what they think. In this state money talks and BS in their opinion, meaning us poor citizens, get to take a hike. And we wonder why good people are leaving and flakes are staying?

orangevale
05-03-2010, 12:54 AM
I might be biased toward Oklahomans, but doesn’t this quote sound a little condescending, coming from an elite lawyer from California?

Condescension from Californians towards Oklahomans is pretty SOP. Why even one the most valuable members of this forum posted this gem regarding an Oklahoma legislator: “Sounds like a product of the Okla. educational system.”

I know the search function for the forum is poor, but I didn’t find this formulation used to describe legislators from any other states, not even California. :rolleyes:

Sobriquet
05-03-2010, 1:11 AM
We probably should alert gunnies in free states when LCAV leaves town.

That would be the neighborly thing to do, but I can't help but wish maybe they'd find somewhere else they like better and not come home. ;)

IGOTDIRT4U
05-03-2010, 6:08 AM
Looks like LCAV missed the bus to Iowa. Somehow without their help Iowa passed a Shall Issue bill.

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=296603

Window_Seat
05-03-2010, 6:18 AM
I would like to see SI states pass CC Legislation as a result of anti-groups like the LCAV invading their territory.

Erik.

N6ATF
05-03-2010, 8:54 AM
"Oh, you want MORE infringements? How about we get rid of all of them? Done. Go to hell, criminals."

arkyhog
05-03-2010, 9:05 AM
You can read the original article at Steve Jones's Examiner site (http://www.examiner.com/x-33857-Fort-Smith-Gun-Rights-Examiner~y2010m5d1-California-antigun-group-attempts-to-derail-Oklahoma-open-carry-vote). Please visit this story so I can keep writing, and please include links to the original articles. :-)

big red
05-03-2010, 9:07 AM
Orangevale, where did you find that quote from Big Red because it is not from me. I have friends in Oklahoma and I respect them and the state. You may be explaining where you got that quote to a moderator.

Californio
05-03-2010, 9:16 AM
I emailed my buddy in Enid, they need to run LCAV out on a rail after they are tarred and feathered.

big red
05-03-2010, 9:23 AM
It is bad enough we have them out here but we do not need them going around passing themselves off as representing the whole state population's attitude on this issue. I have alerted friends back in Oklahoma as well.

Orangevale, The quote you attribute to me comes from the article and not me and please make that clear. I only put the story on here to show that Californians are meddling in other states affairs in order to justify the screw ups they have made here.

orangevale
05-03-2010, 9:37 AM
Big Red,
My sincerest apologies if you understood my post as attributing to you the quote: “Sounds like a product of the Okla. educational system.” The “valuable member” quoted is not you.

big red
05-03-2010, 10:04 AM
No harm and no foul Orangevale. Just a misunderstanding that is cleared up. Thank you and if I got a little warm under the collar I apologize. Now we need to support Oklahoma in bouncing the LCAV out of there and let Oklahoma handle it's own gun issues the Oklahoma way.

Manic Moran
05-03-2010, 10:06 AM
The liberal anti-gun group, Legal Community Against Violence (as if gun rights groups are for violence)

We are, though, aren't we? I mean, if you're carrying a weapon for self defence, the use of that weapon is an act of violence.

It's a positive, merited act for the overall good, but still it's violent.

NTM

SgtDinosaur
05-03-2010, 10:50 AM
Didn't the word "Okie" originate in California? I wouldn't like us if I were them.

bg
05-03-2010, 11:21 AM
I know folks in Ok..Those from that center best be prepared for a serious n*t kick. Folks
there don't care for Ca type politics, nor for many of us...At least out in the back country.

big red
05-03-2010, 3:42 PM
Well, it might have been the backdoor way but hopefully by posting this article here we got enough people to alert friends back in Oklahoma that the LCAV is there and for what reason. They can start to mobilize the forces to send the LCAV packing. I contacted my friends and hopefully everyone else did as well and we can stop this little foray by the LCAV before it gets going. We all have to work together across state lines when we can to help each other. this time it is our fellow gun owners in oklahoma.

vandal
05-03-2010, 4:39 PM
That's like throwing Bre'r Rabbit in the briar patch.

Oklahoma should tell those liberal lawyers in S.F. to go and F themselves.

Rob454
05-03-2010, 6:48 PM

Thats why after they make laws here other states follow our example. because nobody listens. PLENTY of peopel watch what laws come out of california and try to bring them to their states

big red
05-03-2010, 10:14 PM
We can not stop citzens of other states from being as dumb as us in some areas but we can alert them when people leave our state to try and manipulate another state's right to make the choice among themselves without outside influences. That is what LCAV is doing. They are not citizens of Oklahoma and have a very narrow agenda with a goal of leaving Oklahoma citizens as defenseless or worse than us.

abusalim81
05-04-2010, 12:33 AM
F*** liberals/left wingers!

johnthomas
05-04-2010, 12:45 AM

If the truth be known, Californians don't listen to Californians. Case in point, gun laws are voted on by a few, why, because they wont listen to the voters. Their afraid to.

orangevale
05-04-2010, 9:20 AM
For Your Situational Awareness

OK HB 3354 (with OK Senate amendments) passed OK House this morning, 74-24. Once presented, the Governor has five days to sign, veto or allow to become law without signature (no chance of pocket veto at this point of the session). The smart money is he allows to become law without signature.

big red
05-04-2010, 7:21 PM
Thank you Orangevale. Someday you need to come visit Orangevale. This news is like getting Christmas early as it has to be a nice kick in the teeth to LCAV and a boost to gun owners all over the country. I hope the gun groups play it up and we can find supporters so we can start an public realtions offensive this summer against the LCAV and the Brady Campaign. Ignoring them is not going to work. And while we might not change California overnight if we can help our neighbors in the west get their gun rights secured then when we stand out in California as the most violent ridden western state with the least gun rights maybe Californians will wake up from their stupor.

glockman19
05-04-2010, 7:49 PM
nothing but modern day carpetbaggers

big red
05-04-2010, 10:25 PM
there is another thread just posted by me that gives an update by Steve Jones on this Oklahoma bill, it did pass, but it still has a five day hurdle to clear before it becomes law. The governor is a demo and they are afraid he might consider trying a veto