PDA

View Full Version : G20L Range Report - Round 1

DRAB_81
05-02-2010, 1:59 PM
Pics of my G20L here:
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=295946

I got a chance to take out my new G20L slide, with my G20SF & G21SF frames. I took 200rds of mixed ammo, and a couple targets to the range for a function test. My first observation was that the Dawson Precision sights are insane. For the first shot, I put the POA directly on the X of a B-27 target 7yds, fired, and the X was gone. These sights allowed me to shoot with so much more precision than any other sights I have used. When I look at the sight picture, there is a lot of daylight on either side of the much narrower front sight post, which makes it possible to see more of the target. I shot 200rds at 7yds-10yds-15yds-25yds, and only bought 2 targets, so I didnt take any pics. This was *the first chance I had gotten to put any rounds through the barrel or slide. I used the G20SF frame for 150rds, and the G21SF frame for 50rds, both with the factory 17lb recoil assembly.
50rds - UMC 180gr FP FMJ
Out of the first 10rds, I had 4 FTF/FTRB. After that, the next 40rds functioned properly. Recoil was as you would expect from a light 10mm load.
40rds - Triple R Munitions 180gr JHP (proprietary load)
All 40rds functioned properly, and compared to everything else I shot, felt like shooting 22lr. The recoil made it very easy to shoot, and very easy to shoot accurately.
40rds - 9.1gr Hodgdon Longshot, 180gr JHP
All 40rds functioned properly, and the recoil started to warm up a little.
40rds. - 9.3gr Hodgdon Longshot, 180gr JHP
FTF/FTRB every 2 or 3 rounds, and 2 FTE. Pretty good recoil, very accurate. It seemed like sometimes the slide was being pushed back so fast, that it was just blowing past the case and not ejecting it. Then when the slide tried to return to battery, it got stuck behind the lip of the case. The brass really started to fly with this load.
20rds - DT 200gr WFNGC
FTF/FTRB every 2 or 3 rounds. When it did function properly, these were very accurate as well. These functioned very similarly to the 9.3gr load.
10rds Hornady 180gr XTP, (factory rounds)
2 FTRB, but very accurate.
Because of the way it functioned with the mild loads, I think a stronger recoil spring will fix the issues with the hotter loads. Ill pick up a Wolff stainless guide rod with 19, 20, & 22lb springs to see if that does the trick. Overall, I am very happy with my G20L so far. I figured Id have a few little bugs to work out, so its par for the course.

THT
05-02-2010, 2:32 PM
Good to know. I'm going to try to get mine out next weekend and it's got the Wolff rod and 22lb spring so maybe mine won't experience the same failures.