PDA

View Full Version : Local Gunshop says....

Rukus
05-02-2010, 2:41 PM
It is not required to register your handguns with CA DOJ when you move here from out of state....went on to say that it is strictly "voluntary" and only used to sucker people out of money. Even went so far as to say that you could find the info on the CA DOJ website that it was not required...

Taken from CA DOJ Website:

"Any person who moves into California and who brings any pistol, revolver, or other firearm capable of being concealed upon the person is considered to be a "Personal Handgun Importer" and is required to do one of the following within 60 days:...Please be aware that failure to comply with these mandated handgun requirements could result in criminal prosecution (Penal Code Section 12072(g))."

Discuss?

lorax3
05-02-2010, 2:47 PM
"Any person who moves into California and who brings any pistol, revolver, or other firearm capable of being concealed upon the person is considered to be a "Personal Handgun Importer"/B]"

Discuss?

The quote on the DOJ website is somewhat misleading.

In order to be required to register your handguns within 60 days you must meet the definition of a personal handgun importer.

Not all persons moving here meet that requirement. Active military is an example as well as some others. Other than that you would be required to register. Most people would probably never be questioned about this unless their handguns were seized and questions arose about how this handgun came into the state, and why it isn't registered.

(n) As used in this chapter, a "personal handgun importer" means
an individual who meets all of the following criteria:
(1) He or she is not a person licensed pursuant to Section 12071.
(2) He or she is not a licensed manufacturer of firearms pursuant
to Chapter 44 (commencing with Section 921) of Title 18 of the United
States Code.
(3) He or she is not a licensed importer of firearms pursuant to
Chapter 44 (commencing with Section 921) of Title 18 of the United
States Code and the regulations issued pursuant thereto.
(4) He or she is the owner of a handgun.
(5) He or she acquired that handgun outside of California.
(6) He or she moves into this state on or after January 1, 1998,
as a resident of this state.
(7) He or she intends to possess that handgun within this state on
or after January 1, 1998.
(8) The handgun was not delivered to him or her by a person
licensed pursuant to Section 12071 who delivered that firearm
following the procedures set forth in Section 12071 and subdivision
(c) of Section 12072.
(9) He or she, while a resident of this state, had not previously
reported his or her ownership of that handgun to the Department of
Justice in a manner prescribed by the department that included
information concerning him or her and a description of the firearm.
(10) The handgun is not a firearm that is prohibited by
subdivision (a) of Section 12020.
(11) The handgun is not an assault weapon, as defined in Section
12276 or 12276.1.
(12) The handgun is not a machinegun, as defined in Section 12200.
(13) The person is 18 years of age or older.
(o) For purposes of paragraph (6) of subdivision (n):
(1) Except as provided in paragraph (2), residency shall be
determined in the same manner as is the case for establishing
residency pursuant to Section 12505 of the Vehicle Code.
(2) In the case of members of the Armed Forces of the United
States, residency shall be deemed to be established when he or she
was discharged from active service in this state.

rogtac
05-02-2010, 3:49 PM
i moved into the state with 2 XDms and an HK45, so i made damn sure to register my handguns.

karl9422
05-02-2010, 8:31 PM
i am here on military order and was told i only had to register than if i plan to sell since i am not a resident. if you do become a resident i would have to register from what i understood

lorax3
05-02-2010, 8:42 PM
i am here on military order and was told i only had to register than if i plan to sell since i am not a resident. if you do become a resident i would have to register from what i understood

Answer was noted above

(2) In the case of members of the Armed Forces of the United
States, residency shall be deemed to be established when he or she
was discharged from active service in this state.

You would not need to register if you planned to sell.

Once you are discharged the 60 day timer starts.

icedevil
05-02-2010, 9:14 PM
I think your local gunshop was confusing the different laws for importing handguns and long guns when permanently moving into CA. Imported HANDGUNS must be reported/registered with CA DOJ. This reporting/registration is optional for imported LONG GUNS. Your local gunshop was probably thinking of the long gun rule when claiming it was a waste of money to register.

ih8ca
05-02-2010, 9:41 PM
I am looking at storing bringing handguns into CA. I not a resident. I called the DOJ and asked them if I have to register the handguns because I plan onm keeping them here for a long period of time. They said I do not have to register them until I become a resident of CA.

lorax3
05-02-2010, 9:48 PM
Moving here as a resident is one of the requirements of becoming a personal handgun importer.

residency shall be
determined in the same manner as is the case for establishing
residency pursuant to Section 12505 of the Vehicle Code.

12505 VC. (a) (1) For purposes of this division only and
notwithstanding Section 516, residency shall be determined as a
person's state of domicile. "State of domicile" means the state where
a person has his or her true, fixed, and permanent home and
principal residence and to which he or she has manifested the
intention of returning whenever he or she is absent.

Rukus
05-02-2010, 10:07 PM
I think your local gunshop was confusing the different laws for importing handguns and long guns when permanently moving into CA. Imported HANDGUNS must be reported/registered with CA DOJ. This reporting/registration is optional for imported LONG GUNS. Your local gunshop was probably thinking of the long gun rule when claiming it was a waste of money to register.

Thats what I thought too, but he specifically explained that long gun registration was indeed voluntary but that handguns were already registered on a federal level no matter where you bought them so paying to re-register them here was basically a scam to get revenue from new residents.

Librarian
05-02-2010, 10:13 PM
Thats what I thought too, but he specifically explained that long gun registration was indeed voluntary but that handguns were already registered on a federal level no matter where you bought them so paying to re-register them here was basically a scam to get revenue from new residents.

At $19 each it doesn't add up to much.

But there's no good reason for CA to require that registration; it's just more harassment of gun owners.

As to Federal registration, that would require that the handgun had passed through an FFL since 1968. Information from those sales is indeed collected, but is maintained only at the FFL level, and in hard copy.