PDA

View Full Version : LA county sheriff election

mblat
03-04-2006, 6:43 AM
I have sent email to Don Meredith election company and receive the following respone:

Hi!

I am voter in Los Angeles County and would like to know the answer I have for Don:

What is his position on CCW?

Is it:

Similar to sheriff of Kern County: that is “shall issue” stand.
Similar to sheriff of Orange County: that is “based on need”, but need is very broadly defined and in general it isn’t that difficult to obtain such permit
Similar to current sheriff of Los Angeles County: that is “no way”

Thank you,

I will be waiting for your response.

XXX XXXXXXX

Mikhail,

Mr. Meredith's position on CCW would be closest to that of Sheriff Carona, in Orange County.

Thank you for contacting Meredith for Sheriff.

Sheila McNichols, Lead Advisor
Meredith for Sheriff

That sounds somewhat promising..... Corona's position on CCW is pretty much "shall issue"..... May be somebody in LA want to get more firm commitment on this, somehow?
May be I(we) should donate some money to his compain?

CALI-gula
03-04-2006, 8:51 AM
WAY TO GO MBLAT!!

Thanks for doing that, as so many politicians seem to step around such issues, and it is nice to see their 2nd Amendment views in writing. I'll choose anyone over Lee "Backwards" Baca. Maybe one day we might be able to get a CCW in Los Angeles County again!

Skammy
03-04-2006, 11:31 AM
doh' http://meredithforsheriff.com/

You can volunteer at the site and donate money.. we need Lee Baca gone.

I'll call him monday if I have a chance to get some more info

mblat
03-04-2006, 12:20 PM
doh' http://meredithforsheriff.com/

You can volunteer at the site and donate money.. we need Lee Baca gone.

I'll call him monday if I have a chance to get some more info

Yes, and after you do that, plz keep us updated. May he is somebody who can turn some of this nonsense around....

xLusi0n
03-04-2006, 12:26 PM
Not that I don't trust politicians...ok, I don't. But that sonded like a "safe" answer for someone running a campaign.

Ford8N
03-04-2006, 12:58 PM
Not that I don't trust politicians...ok, I don't. But that sonded like a "safe" answer for someone running a campaign.

I've seen a Sheriff say he was a "shall issue" during the campaign and when elected, didn't. One of the reasons I don't believe anything a politician will say during a campaign.

mblat
03-04-2006, 1:32 PM
From what I understand, this guy is super good on firearms ownership.

http://kenmasse.com/index.cfm

I'd love to see what his response would be to mblat's questionnaire.

10TH

I'lll make sure to send him email as well.....

Paladin
03-04-2006, 1:39 PM
I've seen a Sheriff say he was a "shall issue" during the campaign and when elected, didn't. One of the reasons I don't believe anything a politician will say during a campaign.

That is all too true and that is the problem. But nowadays we have the solution, right here w/the internet. This is an alternative way of finding and organizing like-minded individuals to follow up w/the candidate's performance once in office and if he doesn't keep his promises, get the word out and kick him out of office too. "Next!" Pretty soon they'll learn not to mess w/us and that our loyalty is not to the man or the political party (for political offices), but to the issue.

The main problem has been that until talk radio and the internet, once they're in office, the anti-2nd A MSM justified/excused their betraying us or never even reported it. Not anymore. Tell 'em, "Sure, we believe you and we'll support you and if you don't follow thru once in office, we'll support WHOEVER runs against you. Period." And then follow thru.

"Next!"

Jeff Rambo
03-04-2006, 1:47 PM
Do not get too excited, as pointed out that was a rather "Safe political answer." I contacted Meredith after hearing him on a talk radio interview on 790AM a few weeks back. My questions (some relating to CCW) were rather detailed to specifically avoid him giving a "safe" answer and as expected, no response.

This is something that needs to be posed during a public debate to at least openly commit him to a platform stance.

Ken Masse will have my support as it currently stands. LASD needs someone who suffered under Baca within the organization to right their ship and Masse is that guy.

4ME&MYHOUSE
03-04-2006, 1:49 PM
I personally spoke with Ken's campaign officer about 3 weeks ago.. I specifically asked him about his postion on CCW, his response...

" Ken Masse is not pay-to-play like Baca, if you are not a criminal, and can pass the the legal requirment to CCW then there is no reason why you should not have a CCW in Los Angeles County..." (paraphrasing)..

From my research since that encounter, and from speaking to friend who also is helping with his campaign, Ken is the man.

I have contact information for his campaign officer if anyone would like to follow-up.

Ken has my suppport..

Pete

jnojr
03-04-2006, 1:56 PM
Sometimes, the devil that you don't know is preferable to the one you do.

Instead of trying to pick apart Ken Masse's exact position on this, ask yourself... "Is his position better than Baca's?" The answer is clearly yes.

I would hope that every LA gun owner would commit to voting for Masse (assuming there are no better viable candidates) at the very least, and volunteer for or donate to his election campaign. Get posters made and put up in ever gun store, shooting range, etc.

Oh, but look how well that happened for the RKBA amendment... :rolleyes:

Mute
03-04-2006, 3:54 PM
In L.A. County the "safe" answer would be to be against CCW. The fact that he's along the lines of Carona is a pretty good indicator that he may actually be even more pro-gun than his stance suggests. Even if I'm wrong, I can't see how he could be much worse than Baca.

Riodog
03-04-2006, 9:16 PM
ANYONE is better than Baca HOWEVER do not delude yourselves into thinking that as soon as the election is over he'll be dealing CCW's like a dealer deals cards. Carona is not that hot on handing out permits. His definition of "need" and ours are 2 very different things.
Rio

ajwells
03-04-2006, 10:06 PM
Not to be the black sheep here, but I don't think Baca's a bad guy at all. He's friends with some of my family friends and I've seen him at some of their parties and he really isn't that bad at all. Plus he's been in his position for like 25 years, so he's gotta be doin something right.

Of course I would love for LA to be better on CCWs but I'm just saying that in other areas he's a pretty good guy. JMO, don't want to start an arguement.

markymark
03-04-2006, 10:15 PM
Not to be the black sheep here, but I don't think Baca's a bad guy at all. He's friends with some of my family friends and I've seen him at some of their parties and he really isn't that bad at all. Plus he's been in his position for like 25 years, so he's gotta be doin something right.

Of course I would love for LA to be better on CCWs but I'm just saying that in other areas he's a pretty good guy. JMO, don't want to start an arguement.
Baca's only been the sheriff for the past 7 or so years.

Jeff Rambo
03-04-2006, 10:45 PM

Try selling that to the deps in the jail, on the road and most in middle management. You will be looked at with googley eyes.

xLusi0n
03-05-2006, 8:04 PM
Baca had a report awhile back for taking campaign funds from Asian organized crime (Alhambra/Monterey Park area)...there was no follow up to that report so I don't know what happened.

ajwells
03-06-2006, 9:25 AM
Baca's only been the sheriff for the past 7 or so years.

Oh, I heard more. I guess that's a little different then, I thought he'd been there forever.

choochboost
03-06-2006, 8:50 PM
Here is Ken Masse's position on CCW in his own words:

"My policy regarding concealed weapon permits will likely differ from that of the current Sheriff. I am deeply concerned about public safety and I will do everything in my power to make certain that those persons whose lives are in danger and who should have permits to carry concealed weapons will have them. That does not mean that I will be issuing blanket permits to anyone who applies though. That being said, it is my intention to examine this issue closely to ensure that we develop and implement the best policy possible for the long term."

markymark
03-06-2006, 8:57 PM
Oh, I heard more. I guess that's a little different then, I thought he'd been there forever.
I don't know how long he's been with the sheriff's dept but he's only been their head guy (THE sheriff) for the past 7 yrs. Before him was Sherman Block.

Paladin
03-06-2006, 9:27 PM
Here is Ken Masse's position on CCW in his own words: <snip>

Could you post the link or give a citation to where you got this? That's always a good thing to do when possible, esp w/election-type stuff that people may rely on for voting.

choochboost
03-06-2006, 9:47 PM
It was a personal email I received from him. I hope he doesn't mind that I posted an excerpt here. You can ask him too. His email is ken@kenmasse.com. In my email to him, I dropped the name of a mutual friend...I don't know if that's why he responded to my email so quickly. If you write him, I would suggest that you don't let him know what side of the issue you're on. I say that because the original poster's email to Meridith's campaign reveled what side he was on IMO, so I wasn't surprised at his answer. I'm not saying Ken Masse he isn't a man of integrity but he is running for election. Ask him straight up and see what he says. Oh, and I would appreciate your discretion in not referring to my email as I wouldn't want it to create an issue with our mutual friend. Thanks.

On a side note....Meredith is not considered a bad candidqate, but even if he is CCW friendly, he doesn't really have a chance at winning since he's a virtual unknown. If there is a CCW friendly candidate for Sheriff, its not likely they'll make a big deal of it as it would cause them to lose more votes than they would gain. This doesn't directly affect me as I'm in OC but I want to see a CCW friendly Sheriff in LA and I knew I had a connection inside Masse's campaign so I thought I'd get involved.

ligamentum flavum
03-06-2006, 9:51 PM
Here is Ken Masse's position on CCW in his own words:

"My policy regarding concealed weapon permits will likely differ from that of the current Sheriff. I am deeply concerned about public safety and I will do everything in my power to make certain that those persons whose lives are in danger and who should have permits to carry concealed weapons will have them. That does not mean that I will be issuing blanket permits to anyone who applies though. That being said, it is my intention to examine this issue closely to ensure that we develop and implement the best policy possible for the long term."

I wish he'd say that he would issue permits to those that are qualified to receive them (instead of those whose lives are in danger, yada yada...).

That said, it's still better than Sheriff Leroy Baca.

choochboost
03-06-2006, 10:10 PM
I wish he'd say that he would issue permits to those that are qualified to receive them (instead of those whose lives are in danger, yada yada...).
Yep, me too. I was hoping he'd take a stronger stance in favor of granting permits to law-abiding responsible gun owners. His response seemed a little noncommittal.

Gun issues aside, FWIW he's known to be a really great guy.

mblat
03-09-2006, 9:55 AM
I've added some questions to my original and sent email to both Ken MAsse and Don Meredith compaigns.

Hi!

I am voter in Los Angeles County and have full intention on voting in upcoming sheriff elections. I haven’t made up my mind on which of the candidates deserve my vote and financial support. To help me decide, please answer the following questions.

What is your position on CCW.
“Shall issue” (Kern County Model )
Issue based on need, easy to obtain ( Orange County Model )
Issue based on need, difficult to obtain
No issue ( Los Angeles County Model )

While understanding that if elected sheriff you will be bound by California laws, what is your personal position on so called “castle” laws? Specifically:
When pertains to defense in you own home. Should person be required to look for exit first and shoot second?
Recently adopted Florida laws that allows deadly response when in reasonable fear for you life?

While understanding that if elected sheriff you will be bound by decisions of Los Angeles Board of supervisors what is your position on “sanctuary” laws? Specifically “Special Order 40”?

Thank you, I will be waiting for you response,

Yours,

XX XXXX

I haven't received response from Don's compaign yet, but this is Massy response. Notice that it seems that his position on CCW is pretty much "no way, unless you've been fired upon". Also he didn't really answer anything on SPO 40.... Understandably it is very hot topic to talk about.....

But this is his response...

Mr. XXX,

Thank you for your questions. <snip>In response to your questions:

1. It is my opinion that the founding fathers knew the anti-gun crowd would show up eventually so they added the second amendment to the Constitution. I believe the second amendment is just as valid as all the other amendments. I don't know what easy to obtain and easy to obtain means, but my intention, at least until we have studied this issue from all directions, is to issue based on need. If a person's life is in danger, that is a need and we will seek to expedite issuance based on that need.

2. I believe we should all be guided by a reverence for human life. I am thankful that in my 35 year law enforcement career I never had to take a life, but I was always prepared to do so if left with no other option. I would be in favor of legislation similar to that which was recently signed into law by Florida Governor Bush.

3. Special order 40 only applies to the LAPD and not to the Sheriff's Department.

Thanks again for writing. Hope this helps.

Ken Masse
Candidate for LA County Sheriff
www.kenmasse.com

bunkerbuster
03-28-2006, 7:55 PM
simply speaking, both candidates are better than baca?

:)