PDA

View Full Version : U drive screw fasteners

dwtt
03-03-2006, 8:46 PM
Hi, I know some people are tired of reading about AR and AK rifles, but I'm gutting out a Romanian kit that I'm using to build a rifle with and wanted to offer some fasteners to others who are doing the same thing I am. I ordered some U drive screws but they come in quantities of 100 only, so if anyone in the bay area needs some screws for their AK build, I can give you some. There's no need for all of us to order 200 screws each and use only 10 of them.

blkA4alb
03-03-2006, 10:02 PM
Hi, I know some people are tired of reading about AR and AK rifles, but I'm gutting out a Romanian kit that I'm using to build a rifle with and wanted to offer some fasteners to others who are doing the same thing I am. I ordered some U drive screws but they come in quantities of 100 only, so if anyone in the bay area needs some screws for their AK build, I can give you some. There's no need for all of us to order 200 screws each and use only 10 of them.
id be interested! how much harder or easier is it to screw it instead of rivet it together?

Charliegone
03-03-2006, 10:08 PM
I heard about this at gunco and ar-15.com. They look just like rivets, the thing is you don't have to take out the barrel to properly put them in, which is good for those of us who don't have a lot of equipment.

JHC
03-04-2006, 5:54 AM
And you dont "screw" them in, you use a hammer or press them in, the shaft on them is fluted so then twist and dig in as they are being driven into the holes you drill.

blkA4alb
03-04-2006, 11:22 AM
And you dont "screw" them in, you use a hammer or press them in, the shaft on them is fluted so then twist and dig in as they are being driven into the holes you drill.
oohh ok, how does this compare to screws for ease etc. im obviously new to the ak building so thanks.

dwtt
03-04-2006, 3:02 PM
The U-drive "screws" are really splined rivets with spiral splines that bite into the surrounding metal so they don't fall out. Unlike traditional screws, you don't have to tap threads into the hole to use u-drive fasteners. The way I'm going to do this is just drive out the old rivets in the trunnions, then hammer or press in the u-drive screws with the trunnion in the receiver. Then I won't have to remove and reinstall the barrel or have to squish a rivet into the trunnion with a special tool I don't have. I haven't decided about the rear trunnion that mounts the shoulder stock, but I think I'll also use u-drive screws with that one also. Anyway, I ordered #10 and #8 fasteners, and can spare a few to anyone in the bay area who's building an AK. I'm in Fremont, but one can buy the fasteners online at fastenal's web site.

Beatone
03-04-2006, 4:37 PM
I'm interested in some. PM sent.

morepoop4u
03-04-2006, 11:39 PM
I'm in for 12 if thats possible...thx in advance and this is why I'm considering Udrives http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?p=240218&posted=1#post240218