PDA

View Full Version : Help with bird identification

theseacow
05-01-2010, 11:11 PM
*UPDATE* I slowed down part of the video and you can distinctly see a white tail and white head. There is a lighter colored pattern on the wings as well. make sure to set the resolution to 480p.

Here is the new video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OYNT_MGYE8M

Caught this guy flying on the game camera. He has a white tale and some white design on his wings. What exactly is it? Sorry for the crap quality, but it is the size of some type of hawk.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PvNCGryXAr8

G-Man WC
05-01-2010, 11:34 PM
It depends where your at. It's hard to see, the pictures to fast.
It looks like an eagle to me.
I was going to guess white tailed kite if you were near the coast, but there's not enough white on under body and wings. -g

theseacow
05-01-2010, 11:36 PM
It depends where your at. It's hard to see, the pictures to fast.
It looks like an eagle to me.
I was going to guess white tailed kite if you were near the coast, but there's not enough white on under body and wings. -g

It was taken in San Jose. I've never seen an eagle in this area.

Crosis
05-01-2010, 11:59 PM
I have 2 that could be culprits...

http://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/Rough-legged_Hawk/id

http://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/Ferruginous_Hawk/id

Both are decent sized birds of prey with white tails, white tips on the wings, dark in color otherwise, and both are local to Cali...

G-Man WC
05-02-2010, 12:25 AM
It was taken in San Jose. I've never seen an eagle in this area.

There here. I've seen eagles twice in the bay area. On Mt. Diablo and in Pleasanton's wine region. -g
http://www.cnn.com/EARTH/9606/23/eagles/

petey
05-02-2010, 10:20 AM
It does look a lot like an eagle. There is a nested pair down in Morgan Hill / Gilroy at Coyote Lake park.

theseacow
05-02-2010, 11:41 AM
update in OP

pieeater
05-02-2010, 1:01 PM
You need to chase it off before it eats all the toads in your spot!!!!

theseacow
05-02-2010, 1:08 PM
You need to chase it off before it eats all the toads in your spot!!!!

He's making it so much harder to hunt for those poisonous newts. :mad:

acourvil
05-02-2010, 2:21 PM
There was a nested pair of eagles at Del Valle lake a few years ago, too.

But it could also be an Osprey. The Osprey doesn't have full white tail, but the underbody can be white going back pretty far and from a position below, the it could look like a white tail. I can't see enough in the video to really tell.

mif_slim
05-02-2010, 3:59 PM
Looks like Bald eagle for me.

I didnt think thers bald eagle in Fresno, but I saw one the other day fishing. Classic scene too! Just like in "Nature" where the eagle glides in and grabs a trout. Thats exaclty what it did! :D I got a bino and glassed it for a good 15 minutes before it left the trees from eat'n the fish.

DeanW66
05-03-2010, 7:30 AM
I also vote for Bald Eagle. Not much else has that distinctly white head & tail. I'm not an expert but I am a fan/enthusiast of birds-of-prey (my moto racing team was named Bird of Prey, my side-biz name is Peregrine Rocks & Trading Post, I often use a forum name of Baldy as in Bald-Eagle, if I was Native Amercian my totem would be Bald Eagle).

I saw a couple at San Luis Reservoir while driving past a few weeks ago.

What part of SJ? I'd love to have a look see myself.

ETA: Any way for you to estimate size based on the surroundings? Like compare to the dead tree it flys past? That will help with ID. Eagles are quite a bit larger than, say, Red Tail Hawks or Ospreys.

IronCobra
05-03-2010, 7:53 AM
Bald Eagles with a white head and white tail are adults. Juveniles are all brown, so if it was a bald eagle it would be full size. The only animals of similar size and appearance is the Ferruginous Hawk which is about 2/3rds the size(no white head) and Ospery (1/2 the size). Also, all raptor females are always larger than the males. I would lean towards bald eagle based on estimated size and appearance. An adult BE should have a 6'-8' wingspan and have a body length of about 3'-3.5'

theseacow
05-03-2010, 10:38 AM
I also vote for Bald Eagle. Not much else has that distinctly white head & tail. I'm not an expert but I am a fan/enthusiast of birds-of-prey (my moto racing team was named Bird of Prey, my side-biz name is Peregrine Rocks & Trading Post, I often use a forum name of Baldy as in Bald-Eagle, if I was Native Amercian my totem would be Bald Eagle).

I saw a couple at San Luis Reservoir while driving past a few weeks ago.

What part of SJ? I'd love to have a look see myself.

ETA: Any way for you to estimate size based on the surroundings? Like compare to the dead tree it flys past? That will help with ID. Eagles are quite a bit larger than, say, Red Tail Hawks or Ospreys.

I watch that spot all the time and see hawks and vultures all the time. I can tell you that the bird appears to be much larger than either of those two. Since I've never seen an eagle in San Jose, it was surprising to see on the camera. Youtube takes away a little bit of quality, but on the original video it is clear that it has a white head and a white tail, dark underbelly and some kind of dark/light pattern on the wings.

Hunter
05-03-2010, 8:16 PM
No doubt, it is a bald eagle. As for seeing one in the south bay, I have watched them at Lexington Res. in the winter months.

theseacow
05-03-2010, 9:54 PM
No doubt, it is a bald eagle. As for seeing one in the south bay, I have watched them at Lexington Res. in the winter months.

really? sweet. I fish lexington all the time and I've never seen one there. I guess I just don't pay attention.

DeanW66
05-04-2010, 3:35 PM
Sh*t, how recently at Lexington? First I've heard of it, my wife grew up on the summit and we live there now (5+ years).

pieeater
05-04-2010, 4:27 PM
Looks like a greater red tailed spotted toad catcher to me.

180ls1
05-04-2010, 5:25 PM
ya that for sure is a bald eagle, probably a youngish one.

HokeySon
05-05-2010, 1:27 PM
He's making it so much harder to hunt for those poisonous newts. :mad:

if the mystery bird is eating them, maybe they are ok to eat after all?

Hunter
05-05-2010, 5:40 PM
really? sweet. I fish lexington all the time and I've never seen one there. I guess I just don't pay attention.

I get there a lot and in the winter months (ie Dec/Jan) you will have the best chance of seeing one. I think they are just passing thru on their migration down to San Antonio reservoir south of King City. If you ever get a chance to go there, you can see dozens on a good day in Dec-Jan window. They have also been noted at Andersen and San Luis reservoirs as well. Again, during the winter migration.

theseacow
05-05-2010, 6:03 PM
I get there a lot and in the winter months (ie Dec/Jan) you will have the best chance of seeing one. I think they are just passing thru on their migration down to San Antonio reservoir south of King City. If you ever get a chance to go there, you can see dozens on a good day in Dec-Jan window. They have also been noted at Andersen and San Luis reservoirs as well. Again, during the winter migration.

ill have to pay attention. i fish there quite a bit in the winter months.

pdq_wizzard
05-05-2010, 8:44 PM
If it is was a bald eagle that would be verry cool. I lived in WY from the time I was 13 to about 19 (the legal drinking age at the time) :) seen alot of them and I remeber hearing that most people will never see one in there life time.

I hope it was that would mean that they are making a good comeback.

pieeater
05-05-2010, 8:56 PM
If it is was a bald eagle that would be verry cool. I lived in WY from the time I was 13 to about 19 (the legal drinking age at the time) :) seen alot of them and I remeber hearing that most people will never see one in there life time.

I hope it was that would mean that they are making a good comeback.

I see them all the time in Lake and Mendocino countys. In Alaska on some of the rivers they are everywhere. Also saw a lot in Oregon. we would jump canals for ducks if the duck fell on the other side of the canal we would have to drive around. Sometimes the Eagles would grab the dead duck before you could get there. lol

theseacow
05-06-2010, 8:38 AM
I see them all the time in Lake and Mendocino countys. In Alaska on some of the rivers they are everywhere. Also saw a lot in Oregon. we would jump canals for ducks if the duck fell on the other side of the canal we would have to drive around. Sometimes the Eagles would grab the dead duck before you could get there. lol

haha. yeah i see them in oregon when I hunt up there and also all over some of the lakes in norcal when I go fishing. I just thought it was strange to see one in san jose. trophy toad hunters beware.

pieeater
05-06-2010, 4:30 PM
haha. yeah i see them in oregon when I hunt up there and also all over some of the lakes in norcal when I go fishing. I just thought it was strange to see one in san jose. trophy toad hunters beware.

Did I tell you about the one that tried to land on my face when I was turkey calling?? lol

theseacow
05-06-2010, 4:45 PM
Did I tell you about the one that tried to land on my face when I was turkey calling?? lol

was this at the secret butt-rock location?

pieeater
05-06-2010, 7:10 PM
Ja! What you need is a special forces guy with you to help you with these things.

theseacow
05-06-2010, 10:20 PM
Ja! What you need is a special forces guy with you to help you with these things.

do they teach you what "tree'd" means in the special forces?