View Full Version : ,,,

Foriegn power
05-01-2010, 9:06 PM

evidens83
05-01-2010, 9:13 PM
Excellent choice. Get it!

supersteve9219
05-01-2010, 9:20 PM
I was looking at that 1911 for my first gun, does anyone know if it is made in the US? I don't have anything against foreign guns (as you can tell by my sig), but the 1911 is an american classic and I would like one made in the US.

I heard they were made in the Philippines :confused:

mydogsmonkey
05-01-2010, 9:24 PM
I was looking at that 1911 for my first gun, does anyone know if it is made in the US? I don't have anything against foreign guns (as you can tell by my sig), but the 1911 is an american classic and I would like one made in the US.

I heard they were made in the Philippines :confused:

i believe they are made in brazil, since their forgings come from a brazilian company. although it is a good one. i bleieve its IMBEL that makes frames for springfield

evidens83
05-01-2010, 9:24 PM
The SA GI 45 is an excellent base 1911. Of course if you save up you can buy much better 1911s ie Les Baer,SA Loaded, Kimber, etc etc. But for a 1911 newbie and for a no frills basic quality 1911 GI model, Springield makes an excellent first choice.

Ducman
05-01-2010, 9:26 PM
Spend a few more and get a SA milspec then again go for the loaded. Depends on your budget, you can never go wrong w/ a SA.
Don't get me wrong, I'm a Glock guy also but when it comes to open the safe the 1911's goes out with me.

EWILKE
05-01-2010, 9:27 PM
well I had a loaded 1911 and traded it for a sig 220. it was picky on ammo the trigger needed work and was not very accurate. I own glocks and wanted a 1911 but I like to shoot all my guns the 1911 would of become a safe queen.

ojisan
05-01-2010, 9:27 PM
At a minimum this one...check the details for the improvements...specifically in regards to the throated barrel to feed modern ammo...better sights...
http://www.springfield-armory.com/armory.php?model=7

But on this one you get the extended beavertail safety plus all of the above.
I really like the 1911, but not with the original style grip safety that hurts my hand.
http://www.springfield-armory.com/armory.php?version=4

Richie Caketown
05-01-2010, 9:29 PM
+1 on saving up a bit more to get a loaded model. get someone with the 3 dot sights

Ducman
05-01-2010, 9:30 PM
The SA GI 45 is an excellent base 1911. Of course if you save up you can buy much better 1911s ie Les Baer,SA Loaded, Kimber, etc etc. But for a 1911 newbie and for a no frills basic quality 1911 GI model, Springield makes an excellent first choice.

or you could go w/ a Colt.

http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q42/myusi/DSC02680.jpg

Sinixstar
05-01-2010, 9:54 PM
There's nothing wrong with the Springfield GI's. Although - i'm not sure if they're on the CA Roster. I believe you might have to step up to the springfield mil-spec.

The Springfield GI is basically a recreation of the original 1911 design. Think of it as a functioning Repro WWII issue 1911. That's fine and all - but there are some minor flaws with those designs. The Gi is right around $500.
The Mil-spec does have some upgrades to it that I believe are worth the money. Flared/Lowered ejection ports, more modern sights, beveled mag-well Polished feed-ramp and throated barrel. All of these things are going to make the gun either more reliable, or easier to shoot. The mil-spec is about $575. EASILY worth the extra $75 for upgrades.

As far as value in a 1911 goes, I think the mil-specs are towards the top of the list. The GIs are fun, but it is nice to have some of the modern touches that have improved upon the original design.

I'd say if you're looking to go this direction - you don't have to spend an arm and a leg - but do step up to the mil-spec.

tiko
05-01-2010, 10:22 PM
I got a SA GI, its trigger was 8 lbs, too heavy! I change the main spring to 18 lbs, polish the sear, hammer hooks, disconnector pad and brought the trigger pull down to 4 lbs, very accurate with its GI sights for target, for combat people need 3 dots. I guess that i never go to a combat.

winnre
05-01-2010, 11:07 PM
I was set on a .45 and wished I had my old Army issue one back. I checked out Springfield Armory models but the metal felt rough. Sort of unfinished. So I thought what can I get if I spend a little more money.

So I got a Kimber.

WAP
05-01-2010, 11:10 PM
A basic 1911 is a great gun, and if that's the only model you can afford to buy, get it. You will love shooting it.
If a high degree of accuracy is not your concern, a basic 1911 will shoot most ammo reliably and last a lifetime.
The thing is, a 1911 can be really accurate. As soon as you see the groups that the other guys are shooting with their 1911s, you will want to start upgrading your gun. You will probably want to add such pricey features as;
new sights, new trigger, new hammer, new grips, extended slide releases, as well as all sorts of custom work like trigger jobs. This stuff is expensive, but it really makes for a nicer gun.
Here's my point, if you can possibly afford to get a model that has the features that you will eventually want anyway, get them now, it's cheaper in the long run, and so much more fun to shoot.

Sam
05-02-2010, 12:05 AM
In addition to the reliability improvements of the mil-spec, I think a beavertail grip safety is a must as it allows the shooter to get a higher grip on the pistol. This higher grip in turn allows the shooter to control recoil effectively and thus a loaded is what I would get at a minimum.

Sinixstar
05-02-2010, 12:14 AM
In addition to the reliability improvements of the mil-spec, I think a beavertail grip safety is a must as it allows the shooter to get a higher grip on the pistol. This higher grip in turn allows the shooter to control recoil effectively and thus a loaded is what I would get at a minimum.

Agreed.

I think the GI is more for someone who's looking for some nostalgia in having a true 1911 spec gun, without spending thousands on something that's 50,60,70+ years old.

1911Operator
05-02-2010, 12:15 AM
im not going to tell you to go all out, but I wouldnt recommend a basic model either. get this one http://www.springfield-armory.com/armory.php?version=4 its fully loaded, but nothing crazy! you can tell yourself im not going to customize it, but.......your going to one day or another. this one already has the upgrated hammer, trigger, beaver tail, and im sure you can find one with night sights. should go for about $850-900 on gun broker like this one that even has the night sights http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=166900166 , but too bad he dsnt ship to CA.

Rock_Islander
05-02-2010, 12:53 AM
Okay drider here's my skinny on what you might want to consider:

1. If you want a plain jane 1911 that's got a basic World War 2 Era "look" to it, then go with the Springfield Mil-Spec. It's the model just above the GI, and it's got a stainless steel barrel, instead of a parkerized carbon steel barrel. It should hold up to rust and corrosion much better. It also has a lowered and flared ejection port, which is the NUMBER ONE reliability upgrade for ejecting your empty shells. Plus it's got a set of 3-dot combat sights right out of the box. The GI doesn't. Now it doesn't have a beavertail, skeletonized hammer, skeletonized trigger, extended thumb safety, or any of those "modern" goodies, but it is a solid, and great plain jane, that can be customized and built up to become a really nice Semi-Custom/Fully-Custom if you're willing to spend the money on it.

2. If you want a more modern 1911(right outta the box), as in one with a beavertail grip safety, skeleton-hammer, 3-hole trigger, etc. etc. then expect to pay around 750-800 dollars. A Kimber Custom 2 is a great gun for $750. It's got a match grade barrel and match grade barrel bushing, right out of the box which should provide you with tremendous accuracy, more than any Springfield Armory 1911 priced under $1200-$1400 will. Springfield TRP's are around $1400 and come with the match grade accurized stuff. $750 beats $1400 in my (check) book any day. You can also get a Springfield Loaded, for around $800, it will have all the modern furnishings, without the match grade accuracy of the Kimber.

3. Another great value to consider is a Rock Island Armory 1911. I own 2. I loved my first one so much, I bought a second one. I'm picking up the second from my FFL this Thursday (my tenth day). I bought two of the Tactical models, accurate, accurate, accurate... Reliable, durable, inexpensive. Around $500 or so for a modernized 1911. PM me if you want more info on them or just reply here if you want to see pictures by quick postin them on this thread.

railroader
05-02-2010, 7:31 AM
I'll second a rock island tactical if you are on a budget. I had one and it was accurate and reliable. The better option is to save a little more for a basic kimber custom. They are very accurate and will have a much better trigger than the springfield. They go on sale here in so cal for around $750. Mark

eastershawn
05-02-2010, 8:22 AM
ok buddy i have owned a glock 21 (.45 acp), sold it to buy my current 1911 springfield loaded and have shot a rock island G.I. several times. its like everybody says, the 1911 is more accurate and the glock is more relaible. i love the 1911 for its accuracy, that why i got it. it is way more accurate at 25 yrds than the glock. it has however had a problem chambering. it has only happened five times in about five hundred rounds, but the glock never once had a problem, zero. but i sometimes would completely miss the target at 25 yards with the glock. as far as rock island goes, they are awesome, same accuracy and reliability as my springfield. only had one problem chambering in about 100 rounds. so i guess it comes down to do you trust your life with a super accurate 1911 that might malfunction, or a super reliable glock that might miss.

den888
05-02-2010, 8:40 AM
1911's are classic and great guns. Go for it.

JanG
05-02-2010, 9:26 AM
i have a rock island armory tactical. eats fmj and winchester hollowpoints all day. wilson mags help feeding.

Foriegn power
05-02-2010, 9:32 AM
That is the thing gents that I have to deal with, $600 for a functional working Glock (I know that). Or Somewhat spending close to a $1,000 for an 1911, I think I will have to do some thinking. On the other hand not to throw my thread off track has anyone held the new G19 RTF Gen 4, if there is a Gen 4 G19 out yet?

lazs
05-02-2010, 9:33 AM
you are aware that the 1911 will shoot inexpensive cast bullet reloads and that it will be more accurate than a glock...

Not to mention.. you can use it to pistol whip all the bad guys that have to defend ourselves from everytime we step outside.

And.. you can buy some neat grips for it.

B Strong
05-02-2010, 9:42 AM
I use Glocks as working pieces, but own many 1911 type pistols from small (Detonics Combat Master Mk.1) to large (AMT Longslide)

A quality 1911 will go bang every time if you use good quality mags (I use Wilson 47D's) and maintain the piece correctly - you'll need to experiment with HP rounds on an individual basis to see which will run 100% in a given example of 1911, but I've found that Federal ACP 230 Grain Hydra-Shok seems to run 100% in many different manufacturer's pieces.

Rekrab
05-02-2010, 10:03 AM
If you want a plain-jane 1911 the SA Mil-Spec and the RIA GI are your two best choices in my opinion. They'll go bang every time and they maintain the classic look of the 1911 with the RIA GI being slightly more true to the original design.

Neither gun is made in America, SA is forged in Brazil and RIA is cast in the Phillipines.

I love my Rock and I wouldn't give it up for anything. I went with the Tactical because it had all the features I wanted in a 1911 and for less cost than the SA GI or Milspec.

The only funny business going on with my Rock was that it would return to battery after the last round which was great for diagnosing what I was doing wrong while shooting, but horrible for operation. One $40 Wilson slide stop later and it works flawlessly.

cortayack
05-02-2010, 10:17 AM
I have a RIA GI....Did some simple upgrades to it and it made it better....I can shoot it very well. Its accurate and fun to shoot! Even when I'm shooting in rapid fire.....So I just bought a RIA tactical.....Looking forward to geting her out of jail....

I've been very happy with the RIA 1911, for the price they can't be beat....

1 SIG fan
05-02-2010, 10:24 AM
Crazy or not?

Yeah, CRAZY...not to get one :43:

teflondog
05-02-2010, 10:27 AM
Another vote for the Springfield Milspec. A lot of people make many modifications to it but honestly it's a very good gun out of the box. It has everything you need (lowered/flared ejection port and decent sights). Any modifications you'd make to it would come from personal preference and not out of necessity.

MossbergMan
05-02-2010, 10:28 AM
I'm a confirmed Glockaholic (13), an affirmed and devoted supporter of Springfield Armory(8) and I even have 3 Colt 1911's and let's not forget the 2 Para's taking up safe space. But if you are on a budget and you want a good quality 1911, Rock Island Tactical model is for you. For less than $600 you get custom features...bearvertail grip safety,ambi-safety,novac sights, 3 hole comp. trigger...if I didn't have so many safe queens already I would buy one myself.
The range that I frequent rents one and speaks highly of it. The sample they have for sale has a trigger that most Springfields and Kimbers would envy. It's hard to believe, but the rental sees more use than most owners would ever put a normal gun through and it keeps banging away. But as posted before...quality magazines are a must for any 1911.
So if you want a 1911, you're on a budget, look at the RI Tactical. I love my Glocks and Springfields but there are just some things one can do better than the other so I have both. When the budget allows get the other.
Good luck and let us know what you buy and how you like it.

cineski
05-02-2010, 10:31 AM
Since you're so accustomed to Glock, why not save up and get a 1911 that will truly stand apart from Glocks. By this I mean a hyper accurate 1911 w/ an amazing trigger gun. Otherwise, I think you'll have a feeling of missing out w/ a stock 1911.

C.W.M.V.
05-02-2010, 11:07 AM
Ill hop on the RIA bandwagon. Between my dads old colt 1911's to all that Ive owned and fired the RIA was my favorite. Sure some more expensive ones are more polished but I don't have to worry about beating the hell out of the RIA.

First time I took it to the range I forgot to oil it AT ALL. Completely dry gun. Locked up after about 20 rounds rapid fire. I loved it because I had no qualms about beating the slide off on the concrete floor! Didnt even scratch it, but chipped the concrete! Got it apart and dabbed some oil on and its run flawlessly ever since.

Would I do that to a Springfield/Kimber? Hell no, but with a RIA no worries.

Man I just love it. Smooth, reliable, crazy accurate, shoots my home cast LSWC all day, I really cant say enough. Now that I have my PSL and 74 I'm going to get another RIA.

mtenenhaus
05-02-2010, 11:14 AM
On a grass roots level most of the modern commericial or military options seem to get the job done. That said, I would advocate trying a 1911. Its neat to play with different platforms and there is such a wealth of knowledge, experience and options available to you if you so choose.

Were i to get a 1911, I would likely opt for a good base carbon steel model from SA or Colt with non GI sights. Both of these companies seem to work well with the customer and will be there for you if you need them.

Ultimately you may opt to modify the 1911 to your specific needs or desires, the carbon steel frame is easy to work on and seems to be the preferred platform by many experienced gunsmiths. In all honesty, my custom (Bruce Gray) 1911 is so nice that it has become my go to gun whenever i go to the range.

If you're honestly not the type to ever modify your personal belongings/tools/cars/computer etc. then i would advocate a semi custom from Springfield Armory or Les Baer. Both companies have treated me very well and both 1911's have been very well made and feel nice in my hand.

Legasat
05-02-2010, 2:05 PM
Considering a 1911? Crazy or not?

Generally, NOT. Many companies make fine 1911's, and once you have one you will see why.

"Choose carefully Grasshopper."

smarter
05-02-2010, 2:10 PM
SA Loaded for sure!

r3plica
05-02-2010, 3:22 PM
RIA Tacticals can be had for under $500, quite a bargain for the quality right out of the box.

bombadillo
05-02-2010, 3:34 PM
RIA Tacticals can be had for under $500, quite a bargain for the quality right out of the box.

This if you're on a budget!

1911Operator
05-02-2010, 3:40 PM
ok buddy i have owned a glock 21 (.45 acp), sold it to buy my current 1911 springfield loaded and have shot a rock island G.I. several times. its like everybody says, the 1911 is more accurate and the glock is more relaible. i love the 1911 for its accuracy, that why i got it. it is way more accurate at 25 yrds than the glock. it has however had a problem chambering. it has only happened five times in about five hundred rounds, but the glock never once had a problem, zero. but i sometimes would completely miss the target at 25 yards with the glock. as far as rock island goes, they are awesome, same accuracy and reliability as my springfield. only had one problem chambering in about 100 rounds. so i guess it comes down to do you trust your life with a super accurate 1911 that might malfunction, or a super reliable glock that might miss.
I had a problem chambering some rounds too. all I did is get a new spring and problem solved. easy fix, unless your problem is with the feeding ramp or mag.

BHP FAN
05-02-2010, 3:49 PM
RIA, G.I. all the way. Tough to beat with the Mecgar 7 round plain baseplate unjammable mag.

Rock_Islander
05-02-2010, 4:41 PM
(My) ROCK ISLAND ARMORY - TACTICAL (with):
1. Match Beveled Barrel Bushing
2. Match Solid Trigger
3. Silver Gun-Kote refinish by me
4. Hogue Grips
6. Wilson Hex Grip Screws
7. 18.5 Recoil Spring
http://img651.imageshack.us/img651/2948/dsc01814obm.jpg (http://img651.imageshack.us/i/dsc01814obm.jpg/)
http://img42.imageshack.us/img42/9814/dsc01829yi.jpg (http://img42.imageshack.us/i/dsc01829yi.jpg/)
With my OLL:
http://img210.imageshack.us/img210/7986/dsc01851us.jpg (http://img210.imageshack.us/i/dsc01851us.jpg/)
http://img411.imageshack.us/img411/3369/dsc01848l.jpg (http://img411.imageshack.us/i/dsc01848l.jpg/)

Like I said, she's super accurate, reliable 100% with any factory ball ammo or hollow points, now that I've got my reloads in tip top shape she eats those 100% of the time too. Can't wait to pick up my second Tactical in 4 days!!! I use Wilson Combat 47D Magazines as my favorites.

leelaw
05-02-2010, 4:43 PM
I don't have a specific model to recommend, but I do recommend features - larger sights (not GI style), and a beavertail with commander style hammer. Other than that - completely up to you... and no, you're not crazy.

nrvnqsrxk
05-02-2010, 4:45 PM
If you'll be happy with a plain jane 1911, get that. I would go for a Loaded though, just because it saves me the hassle of doing the upgrades I know I'll want.

Bizcuits
05-02-2010, 4:50 PM
You can never go wrong with a 1911.

Foriegn power
05-02-2010, 6:32 PM
What's the deal with the straight flat triggers on the 1911's? I love that clean look.

choprzrul
05-02-2010, 7:01 PM
I made the mistake of letting my son shoot my Auto Ordnance 1911. He has shot 92fs, glock 23, SA xd, smith 6904, etc; but was immediately enamored with the 1911. Now he wants one so bad he can taste it. Younger son, he is absolutely in love with his glock and hates the 1911. So, if you find the 1911 to be user (you) friendly, go for it. Remember that the trigger of a handgun plays a big role in how well you shoot it, and its hard to beat a 1911 trigger.

BHPFan
05-02-2010, 7:32 PM
Hi all, first of all I want to say something about my self, I'm a very simple, realistic, reasonable person. For this reason, I am biased person who loves Glocks because it fits my self. I think a Glock spells a piece of my personality, but on the other hand I am very fond of the 1911 line up of firearms! But due to my budget, if I were to get an 1911 it would be something in this budget: http://www.springfield-armory.com/armory.php?version=1 pretty much just a plain Springfield 1911 "GI 45." What are your thoughts on it, will it always work like a Glock? Will it 'eat' almost any .45 rounds? How well does this model of 1911 function? Tell me your thoughts about the Springfield 1911 GI.45 model. :) Can you compare a Glock with a 1911? If I were to get the Spring field GI .45 I would not want to be disappointed.

If you only want a very basic plain jane, no bells and whistle 1911, the Springfield GI .45 ACP is a good choice that should fit within your budget.

Cyc Wid It
05-02-2010, 8:08 PM
I think the worst trigger on any 1911 will be better than ANY other type of trigger.

f33dback
05-02-2010, 8:16 PM
So if the best trigger in the world is paired a gun that FTE, or FTF, FTL, then the next sound will be "oh shi...." as the guy with the Glock blows your brains out.
If you just want a range gun buy a 1911, if you want SD/HD you are already covered.
Amazing no one called troll on this thread.

Foriegn power
05-02-2010, 8:20 PM
Are you accusing me as a troll? Who would be willing to let me shoot their 1911 at the Angeles range? This ofcourse I will just shoot 10 rounds of my own factory .45, that would be a pleasure!

f33dback
05-02-2010, 8:26 PM
Are you accusing me as a troll? Who would be willing to let me shoot their 1911 at the Angeles range? This ofcourse I will just shoot 10 rounds of my own factory .45, that would be a pleasure!

Naw, and I don't care if you are, but if you read enough threads you come to expect certain responses from people.

From me, I don't like 1911's, from others, opinion pieces are considered trolls.

trob
05-02-2010, 8:28 PM
its more american than apple pie.....everyone should have 1 or more 1911's

choprzrul
05-02-2010, 8:32 PM
So if the best trigger in the world is paired a gun that FTE, or FTF, FTL, then the next sound will be "oh shi...." as the guy with the Glock blows your brains out.
If you just want a range gun buy a 1911, if you want SD/HD you are already covered.
Amazing no one called troll on this thread.

Nah...I will be clearning my type 1 malfunction while the Glock shooter is missing me due to a terrible trigger. Shortly thereafter, the glock shooter will run out of ammo, my malfunction will be cleared, and I will squeeze that fine 1911 trigger and will prevail!

f33dback
05-02-2010, 8:34 PM
Nah...I will be clearning my type 1 malfunction while the Glock shooter is missing me due to a terrible trigger. Shortly thereafter, the glock shooter will run out of ammo, my malfunction will be cleared, and I will squeeze that fine 1911 trigger and will prevail!

Your entire statement is invalid due to your sig Prior planning prevents piss poor performance

M. D. Van Norman
05-02-2010, 8:35 PM
It would be very hard for me to argue against an Armscor m1911.

http://dancinggiant.com/images/firearms/hs1911a1-20081031-6.jpg

I believe that these can be had for around $400.

sammy
05-02-2010, 8:42 PM
Simple is good but don't sell yourself short. I look at sight picture as the interor of a car. When sitting in the drivers seat the only thing you are looking at is what is in front of you. With that in mind the sights on the gun you are looking at are very small and crude at best. When you go and look at one, close you eyes, raise the gun looking for a sight picture and find the front sight. This is going to be a challenge with that gun. Get a gun with decent sights. It will be MUCH cheaper in the long run to buy one with decent sights rather than upgrade later. IMO most of Springfields 1911 lineup's triggers suck. It is hard to imagine how you can screw up a trigger on a 1911 but they are experts when it comes down to it. Best bang for your buck, no bling, I vote for a basic blued Kimber. They have great sights, a tight fit, excellent trigger and wonderful accuracy. Sammy

choprzrul
05-02-2010, 8:48 PM
Your entire statement is invalid due to your sig

Negative, that's why I practice type I, II, and III malfunction clearing. I finally mastered the type III last time out at Frontsight. This is the beauty of a 1911, I plan on it malfunctioning so I stay in practice clearing malfunctions. I am curious if any Glock owners would be able to clear a malfunction mid firefight. Remember, the gun might not cause the malfunction, but the ammo might.

I am....of course....just playing. I just like a nice light trigger.:shifty:

novabrian
05-02-2010, 8:53 PM
Don't waste your money.1911's are technology from 1911.They don't even make em anymore.Get a Hi-Point.

f33dback
05-02-2010, 8:56 PM
Negative, that's why I practice type I, II, and III malfunction clearing. I finally mastered the type III last time out at Frontsight. This is the beauty of a 1911, I plan on it malfunctioning so I stay in practice clearing malfunctions. I am curious if any Glock owners would be able to clear a malfunction mid firefight. Remember, the gun might not cause the malfunction, but the ammo might.

Well unfortunately Glock owners don't get the number of malfunctions you 1911 guys get, so of course we don't get the practice you get.
But for me:
Stove pipe, left hand pull back slide remove shell.
FTF, rack the gun.
2 shells in breech, go for your back up gun, if you don't have one you're done.
ETC.

2K rounds thru my Glock 21 SF not a single malfunction.
Oh that reminds me I have to buy another 1000 round box of blazer cheap *** aluminum ammo for my Glock, a diet most 1911's would choke on.

pyromensch
05-02-2010, 8:56 PM
personally, i won't own a glock, (preferences), i currently own three 1911's, a SA, A colt and a para-ordinance, and a hi-power. but if you are looking at money, i would suggest the glock. it has a good reputation, and you won't have to deal with upgrading to get what you want

pyromensch
05-02-2010, 8:59 PM
DID NOVABRIAN SAY A HIPOINT?!!!!!

pyromensch
05-02-2010, 8:59 PM
get a hammer instead

novabrian
05-02-2010, 9:03 PM
DID NOVABRIAN SAY A HIPOINT?!!!!!

Yeah I'm trading my Glock and 1911 in for one!!

choprzrul
05-02-2010, 9:04 PM
symtom: squeeze w/no bang.

MOVE to cover while fixing malfunction

Diagnose: barrel up, 2 shells in chamber

Fix: reach down to make sure you have another mag available
lock slide back
strip the mag
rack, rack, rack
insert new mag
rack

You should be able to do this in 2.5 to 3 seconds. 9 years working in factories taught me that anything mechanical will malfunction sooner or later.

By the way, I am no 1911 fanboy, I greatly prefer my 92fs over my 1911.

Well unfortunately Glock owners don't get the number of malfunctions you 1911 guys get, so of course we don't get the practice you get.
But for me:
Stove pipe, left hand pull back slide remove shell.
FTF, rack the gun.
2 shells in breech, go for your back up gun, if you don't have one you're done.
ETC.

2K rounds thru my Glock 21 SF not a single malfunction.
Oh that reminds me I have to buy another 1000 round box of blazer cheap *** aluminum ammo for my Glock, a diet most 1911's would choke on.

Foriegn power
05-02-2010, 9:07 PM
You know what for the most part this was a great post, then it evolved to a fight with "i'll take me Glock over a 1911, then I'll take my 1911 over an Glock." Please do not involve yourself in this thread if it is going to be a battle.

choprzrul
05-02-2010, 9:11 PM
Hi all, first of all I want to say something about my self, I'm a very simple, realistic, reasonable person. For this reason, I am biased person who loves Glocks because it fits my self. I think a Glock spells a piece of my personality, but on the other hand I am very fond of the 1911 line up of firearms! But due to my budget, if I were to get an 1911 it would be something in this budget: http://www.springfield-armory.com/armory.php?version=1 pretty much just a plain Springfield 1911 "GI 45." What are your thoughts on it, will it always work like a Glock? Will it 'eat' almost any .45 rounds? How well does this model of 1911 function? Tell me your thoughts about the Springfield 1911 GI.45 model. :) Can you compare a Glock with a 1911? If I were to get the Spring field GI .45 I would not want to be disappointed.

If the Glock fits you well and you shoot it well, by all means buy the Glock.

E. Fudd
05-02-2010, 9:11 PM
I've had so-so luck w/ SA's. Had an older gen 'Mil-Spec' (bought new) that had several issues. Mag would fall out of the gun when fired (bad mag release), shot way high, had FTF issues (I believe due to a too tight chamber), the standard grip safety/spur hammer consistently gave me hammer bite.

Later bought a Loaded, which ran better but had a loose rear dovetail so the rear sight would drift off to the right from recoil, even though the set screw is screwed in tight, and fall off, but first giving an interesting horizontal group pattern at the range... : ) The beavertail safety took care of hammer bite issues. Did notice that if I let the extractor (and channel) get gunked up with too much crud, I'd start having FTF issues. Went away after I pulled the extractor and gave it and the channel a thorough cleaning. I can go more rounds with less issues in my Glock .45's without a detailed cleaning as often... The 1911's are 'old school' and do require more regular maintenance, cleaning, and proper lubrication.

Plus, I've found both finicky with HP's, whereas the Glocks will feed all the various HP loads I've tried, so far, out-of-the-box...

My $.02 is to save up and get at least a Loaded or better.

If I hit the lotto, some day I hope to get a 'Professional'... :)

f33dback
05-02-2010, 9:21 PM
You know what for the most part this was a great post, then it evolved to a fight with "i'll take me Glock over a 1911, then I'll take my 1911 over an Glock." Please do not involve yourself in this thread if it is going to be a battle.

Sir you said I am biased person who loves Glocks
Guess what, so am I, so here's my 2 cents you buy a 1911 be prepared to "tune" the thing to a workable condition, a $500 1911 is going to cost you $1000 or more before you're done.

That said, there are some people here that have very reliable 1911's but they paid mega $'s for them.
A Glock falls off the assembly line GTG, it isn't pretty, it isn't "collectable" but it damn sure gets the job done.

So as I said, if you want a range gun, get your self a 1911 cause they sure are pretty, if you want SD/HD then get a Glock.

Now, you go get that 1911, but promise you will come back here and give an honest review of it, because someone's life may just depend on it.

Armadillo
05-04-2010, 12:59 PM
Trying to decide between a Sig 220 cpo, Glock 21/22 trade in and a RIA or Springfield 1911. Anyone prefer the Sig?

1 SIG fan
05-04-2010, 1:05 PM
Trying to decide between a Sig 220 cpo, Glock 21/22 trade in and a RIA or Springfield 1911. Anyone prefer the Sig?

Ummm... I do :) the sig is SWEET. the 21 would be nice if your out of state or LEO, but 10rnds is 10rnds. Sig FTW.

Günter
05-04-2010, 1:53 PM
If I was to buy a 1911 - it’s got to be the Springfield GI 45
Those newer “tacticool” 1911s probably will perform slightly better, but I prefer the 1911 in the configuration similar to the original that has worked so well for the US Military for over 70+ years. Much of the newer features don't really offer much noticeable improvements in performance anyways (i.e. full length guide rod) but just overcomplicates the original design that JMB never intended it to have.

This is just my opinion, your mileage may vary

Not my video, but funny:
<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Qh_gY9eZByI&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Qh_gY9eZByI&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

lazs
05-04-2010, 2:18 PM
where are you guys finding all these malfunctioning 1911's ?

I see all sorts of self shuckers including glocks malfunction on the range. Probly less 1911's than any other type but then.. most of the 1911's I see are pretty high end.

I have had two malfuntions in over 5000 rounds of shooting my Kimber.. both were the fault of the ammo.. No gun would have fired those rounds.

I can make any glock jam just by the way I hold it. I have done it a few times for the owners just to mess with em. XD's are harder to limp wrist but it can be done.

Armadillo
05-04-2010, 3:01 PM
Seems to me if you get a decent 1911, keep it clean and use reliable ammo you can be reasonably sure it will go bang when you need it to. I really don't think it would still be in such widespread use if there were any problems with the design. Plus it just looks great. It is made of steel so you can blast park and paint it if you want. It has tons of fun stuff mod also.
The Sig is used by many military and police organizations that need the best.
I have heard that if your Glock goes click, you can't just pull the trigger again and you need to rack the slide.(Could be a problem under stress)
Still an awesome gun, just a little fugly. Hmmmm....RIA tactical $420, Glock 22 trade in $330/ 21 $425, Sig CPO $550. Still can't decide.

Foriegn power
05-07-2010, 9:47 PM
Update, I ended up in a gun shop today and let me tell you I somehow was fondling, first the Springfield 1911 G.I first impression it felt good but ergonomics was below my likings, my thumb could not reach the slide release, poor sights! Next thing i felt was my favorite make, Colt 1911, not sure which model but it was in the $1,000 price range lovely gun something I would consider for purchase! Then i held the kimber, compact model with digi camo grips, ah something about small compact 1911's I don't like. So in the end, I could see myself with an 1911, heh maybe graduation gift for myself end of March 2011? We'll see, I'll keep you all updated if I were to get an 1911 it would be a Colt 1911!

BLD
05-07-2010, 11:06 PM
I'll keep you all updated if I were to get an 1911 it would be a Colt 1911!

Funny you should say that. I wouldn't buy a newer model colt myself (newer as in anything past a pre 70 series), but I've shot a friends series 80 better than my own Dan Wesson, and others Springfield Loaded, Wilson CQB, Kimber Gold Match, and a Custom built Springfield. The thing that really blows me away is that Like all of the 1911s I've shot, his will eat up the worst, most beat up looking reloads I've ever shot...and put them on the X ring every time.

My best advice is to handle and shoot as many 1911s as you can before buying. Even though they are based off of the same design they can all feel and shoot differently from each other. They can be, and are great pistols despite what some people may say.

If you're ever around Sacramento or Placer county send me a PM. I'm sure that with one trip to the range we can get your hands on several different types for you to try.

lazs
05-08-2010, 9:25 AM
I don't know.. maybe we should listen to f33dback.. after all the guys he has "blown brains out" of when their 1911's failed to fire.. maybe the plastic gun is the only one any of us should have?

You can't argue with a real gunfighter like him.. And it only takes once.. sure.. you may kill the the bad guy with your 1911 the first couple hundred gunfights you are in but...

Foriegn power
05-08-2010, 10:52 AM
Thank you guys, and thanks BLD for that generous offer for trying out the many 1911 makes out there before buying one! Again I would rather spend the $1,xxx+ on a nicer quality 1911 than a lesser quality pistol. In addition, I also pulled the trigger on the 1911 and loved it.

Jerm
05-08-2010, 12:12 PM
I made the mistake of buying a springfield Mil Spec in the SS version I am very disappointed with this gun. I wish now I had purchased a Les Baer or a Kimber. It was defiantly a learning experience. The gun will not even shoot a decent group and it is has the worst trigger pull of any gun I have ever shot! I ordered it through the gun shop I do most of my purchasing through on his recommendation. If any one wants a mil spec 45 let me know mine is for sale I think LOL.

Foriegn power
08-08-2010, 11:45 PM
I was handling the GI 1911 and love it! I just need to actually shoot one before I invest in one!

wsmc27
08-09-2010, 9:37 AM
I don't know.. maybe we should listen to f33dback.. after all the guys he has "blown brains out" of when their 1911's failed to fire.. maybe the plastic gun is the only one any of us should have?

You can't argue with a real gunfighter like him.. And it only takes once.. sure.. you may kill the the bad guy with your 1911 the first couple hundred gunfights you are in but...

:laugh:

drider! Have fun shopin' around. :)

As mentioned, try and rent a few different .45's and see if they even feel good to you when going live on the range. And, if you can swing the $$, rent a Glock and XD and maybe something else the same day - do back-to-back comparisons. :) Fun fun fun.

Juice5610
08-09-2010, 9:42 AM
Save up a little longer and get the loaded model

map
08-09-2010, 10:49 AM
I have a SA loaded and it was a big adjustment for me from a Glock. You have to break in the 1911 (keep shooting so the feeding ramp will become smooth) before it can take HPs. You won't be able to take it out of the box and shoot any type of ammo like you did with the Glock.

Don't get me wrong I'm very happy with my SA Loaded. It was just frustrating at first.

map
08-09-2010, 10:53 AM
Oh one more thing about the SA 1911 Loaded. Its way way way more accurate than the Glock.