PDA

View Full Version : My soviet-style build.

JHC
03-03-2006, 6:12 PM
It's evil looking and black, but it's not an AR ( We've seen enough of those lately) ;) . Here's my just completed build on one of my Ewbanks receivers. I used a Romy kit, plastic stock and handguard, G2 trigger group, and Red Star pin retaining plate all from Tapco. It's held together with U-drive screws and I used a can of flat black enamel to paint it. My 10 round mag came from Cabella's and is non-removable without a tool thanks to a small bolt I installed in the mag catch. I am loading it by field-stripping it which is done pretty quickly. By the way, I had to pin the folding stock because it all came out a little too short, I'm going to look for a longer muzzle brake. I haven't fired it yet but will the first free moment I can. Whatcha think?

blkA4alb
03-03-2006, 6:20 PM
It's evil looking and black, but it's not an AR ( We've seen enough of those lately) ;) . Here's my just completed build on one of my Ewbanks receivers. I used a Romy kit, plastic stock and handguard, G2 trigger group, and Red Star pin retaining plate all from Tapco. It's held together with U-drive screws and I used a can of flat black enamel to paint it. My 10 round mag came from Cabella's and is non-removable without a tool thanks to a small bolt I installed in the mag catch. I am loading it by field-stripping it which is done pretty quickly. By the way, I had to pin the folding stock because it all came out a little too short, I'm going to look for a longer muzzle brake. I haven't fired it yet but will the first free moment I can. Whatcha think?
i see an ak:D. looks pretty good but can you give more details or pictures about the fixed mag and how you load it?

JHC
03-03-2006, 7:38 PM
I drilled and tapped a hole for a bolt to block the mag release from being operated and loctited the bolt in. To load I pop the dust cover off, pull the return spring out, and slide out the bolt and carrier. Then it's just a matter of loading the magazine as normal and reassemble.

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/attachment.php?attachmentid=495&d=1141087682

EBWhite
03-03-2006, 7:40 PM
VERY nice job. just dont scratch the hood of the car...

I plan on not pinning b/c pins suck :-)
ill just go fixed and no pistol grip

xenophobe
03-03-2006, 7:46 PM
Nice job! Good to see people doing stuff with these AK receivers! :)

JHC
03-03-2006, 7:51 PM
Here's one of it being loaded. Yeah pins suck but an AK without a PG is just an overpriced SKS:) I'll be taking it on a trip to Nevada in three weeks and that little bolt will come off and my 30 rounders will finally get some use again.

Charliegone
03-03-2006, 8:08 PM
Very nice my friend! I can't wait to build mine!

dwtt
03-03-2006, 8:51 PM
Here's one of it being loaded. Yeah pins suck but an AK without a PG is just an overpriced SKS:) I'll be taking it on a trip to Nevada in three weeks and that little bolt will come off and my 30 rounders will finally get some use again.
If you have 30-round magzines, leave off the pistol grip and you can use your 30-round magazines because you wouldn't have to fix them. An AK without the pistol grip, but with detatchable 30-round magazines is much more than an overpriced SKS.

shopkeep
03-03-2006, 9:13 PM
I don't know why but I just can't get into the whole AK thing. I'm starting to get awfully tempted though now that I've seen your build. I give your build 10,000 times the evilness that Tyler's had. Tyler's just looked harmlessly wooden. Yours even goes the extra mile with the M249 style grip and folding stock! RUN FOR COVER SOCCER MOMS :eek: !!!

olegk
03-03-2006, 11:14 PM
Did you use U drives for rear block as well?
How U-drive holds on lower part of the front block? I was thinking to use pair regular rivet for thin part on the front block and U-drive for the rest. Assembly day tomorrow.

P.S
Really cool looking piece

olegk
03-03-2006, 11:22 PM
I am loading it by field-stripping it which is done pretty quickly.

Time back in my ex-country field disassembly in high school requirements was about 12 sec (max). 7-8 sec (best)

accordingtoome
03-03-2006, 11:40 PM
Time back in my ex-country field disassembly in high school requirements was about 12 sec (max). 7-8 sec (best)

??? you didn't just say what i thought you did.. did you>> ?? :confused:

Tyler
03-03-2006, 11:51 PM
The whole reason for building an AK is for the wood. Why would I want my AK to look like all the AR15s floating around these days? I wanted an AK so I could be shooting a weapon with history, and not something Tapco created. There is no improving upon the weapon that Kalashnikov built, but at least it is only the furniture that is different. How does it shoot? I load mine through the extraction port, I found it faster than breaking the gun down each time to load. After building one of these things you should be able to break it down in less than 5 seconds. Even though it doesn't look like an AK it is still really evil looking :D

olegk
03-04-2006, 12:11 AM
??? you didn't just say what i thought you did.. did you>> ?? :confused:

Yes, I did. I don't remember by best timing it was between 7.5 and 8.5.
I spend weeks training to remove cleaning rod with single hit with edge of my hand. It was fun...

olegk
03-04-2006, 12:14 AM
For me AK ispart of my life history and idea having it legaly gives me warm feeling..
Another strange thigs Romanian AK feels little small for me compare to Russian. My be I got bigger for last 10-15 years?

grammaton76
03-04-2006, 1:52 AM
For me AK ispart of my life history and idea having it legaly gives me warm feeling..
Another strange thigs Romanian AK feels little small for me compare to Russian. My be I got bigger for last 10-15 years?

Were you in something like our ROTC (a military-run academy program in the high schools and colleges), or was this part of the standard high school curriculum?

If it's the latter, I really wish America would do that too - at the very least, we wouldn't have uninformed anti's flooding our colleges. I don't mind anti's who've at least held and fired a gun at one point in their lives, nearly as much as I mind the type who've never fired one and only know what they've seen on TV.

JHC
03-04-2006, 5:42 AM
U-drives everywhere except for the trigger guard, those are rivets. I used #10 udrives in the thin part on the front of the block you refer to and then dremeled off the extra from the inside, but it would be better to rivit this part I think.

Did you use U drives for rear block as well?
How U-drive holds on lower part of the front block? I was thinking to use pair regular rivet for thin part on the front block and U-drive for the rest. Assembly day tomorrow.

P.S
Really cool looking piece

JHC
03-04-2006, 5:50 AM
I totally agree with loving the wood parts of an AK and will be building my next one with them, but for this particualr build I was going cheap and easy, when I was ordering my parts I wanted everything from one place for cheap shipping and was tired at looking at all the websites for various parts. I also didn't feel like refinishing wood at the moment. Next build will use the original wood, G2 TRIGGER, US slant brake, and US gas piston.

The whole reason for building an AK is for the wood. Why would I want my AK to look like all the AR15s floating around these days? I wanted an AK so I could be shooting a weapon with history, and not something Tapco created. There is no improving upon the weapon that Kalashnikov built, but at least it is only the furniture that is different. How does it shoot? I load mine through the extraction port, I found it faster than breaking the gun down each time to load. After building one of these things you should be able to break it down in less than 5 seconds. Even though it doesn't look like an AK it is still really evil looking :D

mblat
03-04-2006, 8:09 AM

Yes, I remember in high-school we had what was called "militaty preparation courses".
On that best of us could disasemble AK in 5 sec and assemble/disassemble would take under 14sec.
I have no idea why we were trained to do this, but we did.... And with minimal amount of practicve it isn't that difficult... Considering that you don;t have to remove magazine first.....

And personally - I'll go for all wood.... That is how it was desinged.. That is how I will assemble it.

And yes, I whink we all got a little bit bigger compare to scholl years....

dwtt
03-04-2006, 8:52 AM
I give your build 10,000 times the evilness that Tyler's had. Tyler's just looked harmlessly wooden. Yours even goes the extra mile with the M249 style grip and folding stock! RUN FOR COVER SOCCER MOMS :eek: !!!
If you build an AK just for the looks, keep walking, because the AK is for shooting. I don't care for making my rifle look "evil" because that's just stupid in my opinion. For 3-gun type shooting, an AK allows easier sight alignment on the target because you're not looking through a small aperature like with an AR. You can also get the second shot in faster because of this. The AK is for shooting, not for posing, so wooden stocks and pistol grips work well and are no worse than the plastic ones.

olegk
03-04-2006, 10:35 AM
Were you in something like our ROTC (a military-run academy program in the high schools and colleges), or was this part of the standard high school curriculum?

If it's the latter, I really wish America would do that too - at the very least, we wouldn't have uninformed anti's flooding our colleges. I don't mind anti's who've at least held and fired a gun at one point in their lives, nearly as much as I mind the type who've never fired one and only know what they've seen on TV.

Very standard class required for everyone. I think one year in senior year. Not much shooting, though.
Only 22LR. I wish here in US kids have the same class.
Idea behind this class was.. In some day you might be required to fight for your country and your responcibility to be able to do this. These classes where teached by retired offiicers. I don't remember a lot of brain washing.
It was pretty much about potential enenies military organization, tactics (US and NATO)
surviving under WMD, medical skills
I remember I wasn't to happy having this class, because it forces some degree of discipline: haircut, be clean and properly dressed (not uniform). If you comply with the rules you can have endless talks with teacher about everithing related to military, outside of class hours.

Charliegone
03-04-2006, 4:12 PM
If we even suggest that (the military practice) be placed in US schools forget about it! The anti-gunners would have your head in a platter!

icormba
03-04-2006, 7:39 PM

Actually the current AKM's in Russia are made with plastic furniture. But I agree... I like the laminate wood furniture way better too! classic!

JHC
03-15-2006, 6:00 AM
Here's an updated fixed mag-catch pic for those that have requested it via PM and emails.