PDA

View Full Version : Coming to Kali... Need advice !

jaydog
05-01-2010, 4:59 PM
Hello All,

This is a repost from my introduction. I thought it might be better suited here.

Let me first say thanks to Calguns for the great site and for supporting our guns rights in California. I have been watching the politics as I am planning my move to California. Gun owners need all the support they can get.

I am planning on purchasing a 1911 when arriving to California (within the next 2 months). I was told by a gun shop that I would have to wait 90 days as a new resident. Is this true ???? :eek: I am also considering an intrafamily transfer. My FIL lives in NJ and has a colt gold cup. I love the gun but can't seem to find any in CA with the new drop test laws.

Ideally I would like to have a handgun transferred and or ready for purchase so I can just process the necessary cali paperwork for legal ownership. I am also looking for a shop to purchase a 1911 if FIL will not part with the Gold Cup. Please advise.

Respectfully,
Jason

Sam
05-01-2010, 5:01 PM
Is taking legal possession of the gun before you move a possibility?

Ross
05-01-2010, 5:31 PM
If you can purchase an LCP (or 2) before you leave, you can sell them here for a few very shiney coins.

Legally too.

If this is FUD, somebody please correct as this is how I understand people are able legally own and sell LCPs (and other "banned" guns) here.

Fot
05-01-2010, 5:35 PM
Buy as many 1911 frames as you can before you move.. Once you get tired of tripping over them you can make some money..

mossy
05-01-2010, 5:41 PM
do not come here. cali is going down fast, other states keep getting more and more gun rights while we keep losing ours. stay where you are.

Big Jake
05-01-2010, 5:59 PM
do not come here. cali is going down fast, other states keep getting more and more gun rights while we keep losing ours. stay where you are.

This! :mad:

SickofSoCal
05-01-2010, 6:33 PM
Get back in your car and start driving east again - just stop off anywhere between here and NY and you'll be just fine.

Chester
05-01-2010, 6:36 PM

I agree! But I love California (yeah, gun laws and hippies aside, it's a great state). I just don't want another car on the road to jam traffic on my way to/from work.

Sam
05-01-2010, 6:49 PM

While California is going down fast I'm excited about our gun rights future here.

Rekrab
05-01-2010, 6:52 PM
Jaydog, buy whatever you can before you come here. Anything without a threaded barrel or a stock is pretty much good to go where pistols are concerned.

And remember to leave any 10+ round mags at home or block them permanently before you arrive as 10 is the max here in Kommiefornia.

Even if you're not loaded with extra cash, a handgun not on our "list" is a pretty solid investment as you'll be able to come here and get 100-300 on top of what you paid for it.

1JimMarch
05-01-2010, 9:58 PM
I think the LCP *is* now on the list? Whoops, no, just checked...ain't there. Huh. Odd. LCR is. So yeah, those are going to be huge investments. Nice pre-lock S&W wheelguns ditto if not moreso.

If you want a 1911, get a nice series 70 type before you come. Put a titanium firing pin in it before using it for street carry...and yeah, that's going to be available likely before the end of 2010. If you can't afford a 1911 now, you'll still have some choices...there's a recent thread here on some Dan Wesson models that look very nice for about $1,100ish, great quality, made in the US. Sounds pricey but...you can make almost that much on a couple of good wheelguns...the Cali gun market is very deliberately insane and challenging that should take longer than the fight for carry rights.

Notblake
05-01-2010, 10:00 PM
I hate to say it but ..... don't come. The weather is so nice, the politics are so bad.

Sinixstar
05-01-2010, 10:01 PM

Cali gun laws > NJ gun laws.

And I say this from experience in both places.
In california - the laws are annoying, inconvenient, even difficult. In NJ - you are flat out treated like a criminal. Think about what it's like in SF - and then go 10 steps beyond. Now you're getting close to NJ.

Sinixstar
05-01-2010, 10:02 PM
If you can purchase an LCP (or 2) before you leave, you can sell them here for a few very shiney coins.

Legally too.

If this is FUD, somebody please correct as this is how I understand people are able legally own and sell LCPs (and other "banned" guns) here.

Not the greatest idea to advertise that you're bringing guns to the state off-roster specifically for resale. Someone could make the case that you're running guns. Intent for resale invalidates the 'personal import' declaration.

Sinixstar
05-01-2010, 10:09 PM
Hello All,

This is a repost from my introduction. I thought it might be better suited here.

Let me first say thanks to Calguns for the great site and for supporting our guns rights in California. I have been watching the politics as I am planning my move to California. Gun owners need all the support they can get.

I am planning on purchasing a 1911 when arriving to California (within the next 2 months). I was told by a gun shop that I would have to wait 90 days as a new resident. Is this true ???? :eek: I am also considering an intrafamily transfer. My FIL lives in NJ and has a colt gold cup. I love the gun but can't seem to find any in CA with the new drop test laws.

Ideally I would like to have a handgun transferred and or ready for purchase so I can just process the necessary cali paperwork for legal ownership. I am also looking for a shop to purchase a 1911 if FIL will not part with the Gold Cup. Please advise.

Respectfully,
Jason

To finally get to your questions - i'm not aware of a 90 day waiting period for new residents. I bought a couple handguns in CA very shortly after I moved there. As long as you have your CA Drivers' licence, Proof of Residency, and Handgun Safety Certificate - that's really all they care about as far as I know. If there is an additional waiting period - I sure as heck didn't have to go through it. (maybe I shouldn't say that out loud?)

As far as the inter-family transfer - doing the transfer BEFORE you get to CA is going to make life a lot easier. Bringing handguns into the state of California is as simple as filling out a form letting them know you brought them in. Doing the transfer once you get here can be a bit more tricky with the gun coming from out of state.

Just-in
05-01-2010, 10:14 PM
While California is going down fast I'm excited about our gun rights future here.

:confused:

Sinixstar
05-01-2010, 10:18 PM
:confused:

Yea - i wasn't even going to touch that one myself.

jaydog
05-02-2010, 9:38 AM
Wow. Thanks for all the feedback !!! I have been trying to put a deposit on a gun before arriving and have not been having much success. A couple shops have told me I need to be a Kali resident to "lay away" or leave a deposit.

I am going to try to complete the intrafamily transfer before I get there.

Also, someone made a comment about purchasing 1911 frames. Are they in limited supply there? And for the LCP, are you referring to the Ruger?

Jay

MossbergMan
05-02-2010, 11:25 AM
Do not come to Kalifornication.
The weather is about all that is left to brag about here. Population is out of control, government sucks, laws are anti-gun, anti-business and pro illegal immigration. Stop in Arizona, Nevada, Utah, heck even New Mexico or Texas don't come here.

If you come here be prepared for high taxes and low pay. Unless you own a business and I can't possiblely believe someone with a business would move here with it, jobs are scarce. We do not need any more people on wefare or unemployement, that tit has about run dry. So jaybird, I understand if the wife needs to be close to family. You can be most anywhere in Kali from most anywhere in AZ in a day. So please for your own sake....stop short of hell..errr Kalifornication. I have 5 years left on my sentence and I will be paroled and able to leave this crappy state. I will miss the beach and the mild seasons, but that is it.

But if just have to come here, welcome, misery loves company. Do all those things the other posts advised you'll make a mint of money. The 1911 frames cannnot be imported, they are non certified "firearms" thus prohibited, as is the Ruger LCP. You still cannot import any AW's or 10+ mags but all your other handguns can brought in no problem, just have to pay $19 a piece to DoJ on their self registration form within 60 days and you're golden.

Unbelievable a non-illegal alien moving to CA. ? What's next I win the lottery?

Rekrab
05-02-2010, 12:20 PM
Also, someone made a comment about purchasing 1911 frames. Are they in limited supply there? And for the LCP, are you referring to the Ruger?

Jay

1911 frames cannot be purchased thanks to our laws here. The only way to get 1911 frames is through PPT or dismantling a complete 1911. The LCP is not on the "Safe handgun list." Another popular choice would be the Springfield XDm since it is also off list.

liberty08
05-02-2010, 12:22 PM
The pay is not that low here and I'm sure it's higher than most of the US states. It is the higher cost of living and taxes that make it more difficult. There are jobs here but it really depends on your field.

tenlongdays
05-02-2010, 12:54 PM
As long as you have your CA Drivers' licence

New residents should note:

1) Your new DL gets sent to you in the mail a few weeks later. It is not printed instantly at the DMV. Gun stores may or may not give you a hard time about accepting a temporary license since it's just a crummy printout.

2) California requires proof of legal presence to apply for your DL. If you don't have a passport or immigration docs, an original or certified copy of your birth certificate is probably the way to go.

3) Always make a DMV appointment so you don't have to wait as long. Lines are often out the door.

It took me about 3 months to get my CA DL since I had to request a copy of my BC from my home state - a process that can be surprisingly slow when done by mail.

The Fugitive
05-02-2010, 2:02 PM
check for off roster guns in cali and buy them all before you leave. When you get here, call me. :D

GnarlyMilk
05-03-2010, 8:33 AM
Do not come to Kalifornication.
The weather is about all that is left to brag about here. Population is out of control, government sucks, laws are anti-gun, anti-business and pro illegal immigration. Stop in Arizona, Nevada, Utah, heck even New Mexico or Texas don't come here.

If you come here be prepared for high taxes and low pay. Unless you own a business and I can't possiblely believe someone with a business would move here with it, jobs are scarce. We do not need any more people on wefare or unemployement, that tit has about run dry. So jaybird, I understand if the wife needs to be close to family. You can be most anywhere in Kali from most anywhere in AZ in a day. So please for your own sake....stop short of hell..errr Kalifornication. I have 5 years left on my sentence and I will be paroled and able to leave this crappy state. I will miss the beach and the mild seasons, but that is it.

But if just have to come here, welcome, misery loves company. Do all those things the other posts advised you'll make a mint of money. The 1911 frames cannnot be imported, they are non certified "firearms" thus prohibited, as is the Ruger LCP. You still cannot import any AW's or 10+ mags but all your other handguns can brought in no problem, just have to pay $19 a piece to DoJ on their self registration form within 60 days and you're golden.

Unbelievable a non-illegal alien moving to CA. ? What's next I win the lottery?

+1 foorrsurreee.... ( gun lover + biz owner here, I WISH I could move out of this hell)

kaosfreak
05-03-2010, 11:42 AM
you do not necessarily have to have a DL, any CA ID card will do. you can apply or an ID card once you get your residency established, if memory serves me correctly.
yes, cali sux; but i would rather live here then most other states. our law are horrible and hard to understand , but it could be worse. while our job market it small, there are plenty of opportunities to make money here. move to humbolt! as much as i would love to live in the rocky mountains, as long as i have family here, i am not going anywhere.

Falstaff
05-03-2010, 4:04 PM
First step, stop calling it "Kali" or "calli". Makes ya sound like a southern california ghetto dweller (or one of the Orange county wannabees). California is abbreviated "CA".

As you were!

OldLincoln
05-04-2010, 1:58 PM
>> Coming to Kali... Need advice ! <<

Drive very carefully as traffic leaving CA could be overwhelming!

GnarlyMilk
05-04-2010, 2:16 PM
First step, stop calling it "Kali" or "calli". Makes ya sound like a southern california ghetto dweller (or one of the Orange county wannabees). California is abbreviated "CA".

As you were!

Since I LIVE in OC can I call it Cali? :punk:

beb1954
05-04-2010, 2:51 PM
Run MOFO run....

stix213
05-04-2010, 3:08 PM
You should buy an off roster 1911 before you move here. It will be "cooler" than anything you can get here just because we can't get it easily, and you can always sell it and buy an on roster 1911 and a glock for the money you would get.

smarter
05-04-2010, 3:55 PM
STI 2011 for sure!

huck
05-04-2010, 4:14 PM
I think some gun shops require 90 days worth of utility bills to prove that you're a residence of CA. Maybe that's where it came from?

Saym14
05-04-2010, 4:43 PM
buy all the off roster guns you want now - before you move here.

Timberwolf
05-04-2010, 4:50 PM
Since the OP is set on moving west I highly suggest pulling up a couple a hundred miles short and live in Nev or AZ. It'll even save on gas for the move. If I had only done that 22 years ago . . .

kaosfreak
05-04-2010, 5:09 PM
I think some gun shops require 90 days worth of utility bills to prove that you're a residence of CA. Maybe that's where it came from?

what i think they require is a utility bill not older than 90 days