PDA

View Full Version : Finished my first build.

Uberdummy
03-03-2006, 2:43 PM
Arg, what an emotional rollercoaster. I think my LPK was a dreaded not so well fitting DPMS (got it from del-ton with the RRA match trigger). Took a bajillion hits to get the bolt catch pin in, but it is in and it works fine. The trigger guard pin on the other hand, i haven't been able to get all the way through yet, and there is not backing it out.
I lost one of the detents, i know the general area it is in, but i can live without a detent in the rear right now, it's a snug fit.
The most emotional part though, i was threading the buffer/stock and the buffer catch and spring flew out of it's hole and went flying over my shoulder. The spring was on the floor with no little black piece in site. I was freaking out "oh my god! where is it?!?!!" luckily with a flurry of moving crap out of the way i found it. yay.

Here are the pics 5 mins after completion:

http://img355.imageshack.us/img355/5300/img0463smaller5mk.jpg

As you can see I went with the home depot method, although I went to Lowes.
http://img355.imageshack.us/img355/5787/img0466smaller2ma.jpg

The beauty that is.
http://img426.imageshack.us/img426/2364/img0468smaller1rk.jpg

Makes it so much sweeter not just because it's the first rifle I have built, but the first one I bought. (was given an old 1970 .22lr before this)

sinner
03-03-2006, 3:00 PM
Looks very nice and close to what I want to do with mine. What upper manufacturer/model did you go with?

TMC
03-03-2006, 3:01 PM
Grest job! looks good.

Now that you have built one the rest get easier. The AR (along with the 1911) is the small block chevy of the gun world, scarry at first but after you've taken it apart and put it back together a dozen times you wonder why you were nervous at first.

I hear you about the small parts that shoot across the room. That's why when ever I order AR parts I buy extra of the small springs and pins, they are usually less that a dollar each and nice to have around. There's nothing worse than wanting to finish building something only to have a small part launched into orbit never to be seen again and having to placing an order for a 50 cent spring and waiting a week for it to arrive.

docsmileyface
03-03-2006, 3:02 PM
I just finished my very similar build about the same time you did, I've got a Heavy Barrel though and a detachable carry handle.... No pics of mine yet though.

Putting it together was alot easier then I thought it would be, and I think I've got the fever, gonna buy my girlfriend a lower so I can build her one too! :D

Dont Tread on Me
03-03-2006, 3:09 PM
Can I ask what instructions you followed? Was it the set from AR15.com.

I'm counting the days until my RRA kit arrives. Looking at your pictures is not helping me wait!

Pryde
03-03-2006, 3:28 PM
I see a lack of trigger discipline in the third pic. :D

Uberdummy
03-03-2006, 3:54 PM
I see a lack of trigger discipline in the third pic. :D
Haha, I did that to see if anyone would catch it. ;)

Yes, I followed the directions on ar15.com. I kept switching between the photo post and the linked guide that was more techincal (it described which way the safety detent went in).

I bought a complete M4 kit from Del-Ton.
Flat top receiver
DPMS 16" 1:9 M4 barrel
6-position M4 stock
standard A2 flash and front sight.
RRA 2-Stage NM trigger/hammer setup
A.R.M.S. #40 rear sight. (nifty)
carbine handguards with heat sheilds. (could have gone with m4, but this was fine)

shopkeep
03-03-2006, 8:18 PM
First off, welcome to the forums! Secondly, it's awesome to see more new folks not only getting interested in the off-list lowers but building them up. Cool build too! Two thumbs up from me :D!

RobT2K
03-04-2006, 3:54 PM
I bought a complete M4 kit from Del-Ton.
Flat top receiver
DPMS 16" 1:9 M4 barrel
6-position M4 stock
standard A2 flash and front sight.
RRA 2-Stage NM trigger/hammer setup
A.R.M.S. #40 rear sight. (nifty)
carbine handguards with heat sheilds. (could have gone with m4, but this was fine)
What was the final $$ figure? Trying to get a ballpark amount for my brother.
He's gonna go this route pretty soon. Thanks

VeryCoolCat
03-04-2006, 6:42 PM
I'm just wonderin, you said you just finished it but that mag looks a little larger than 10 rounds, and seems to be detachable... Mind me askin a little detail around that?

ligamentum flavum
03-04-2006, 6:49 PM
I'm just wonderin, you said you just finished it but that mag looks a little larger than 10 rounds, and seems to be detachable... Mind me askin a little detail around that?

looks fine to me. it's a bushy 10rd mag (which looks like a 20 rd).

i don't see a mag release button. do you?

Uberdummy
03-04-2006, 8:25 PM
Yep, the bushy mag is nice to hold and shoot with. No button.

Took it out today and put 80 rounds down range. Took me a bit to get used to the first round chambering. I had a habit of pulling the charging handle and letting my hand follow it back, once I got used to just letting it snap back it was fine. Not one single failure to fire or eject. Worked awesomely.
I still have to get used to the aperture sights, I've never used anything but dove tail and scopes.

Had to keep this target because I got a perfect bullseye.:D
(the other shot close to the center is from a scoped browning BLR .243win)
http://img369.imageshack.us/img369/8041/img0478smaller6ak.jpg

and for the person who asked, I ordered it with 3-day shipping which brought the total to around $750 with all the tidbits.

Edit to Add: To anyone who puts on an A.R.M.S. pop-up sight. Don't Forget The Loctite! Heh, after about 5 shots I noticed the thing was wobbling. Good thing I brought the Loctite with me.

Hanniballs
03-04-2006, 9:19 PM
What lower are you using?

And hows the finish between the upper/lower.

docsmileyface
03-05-2006, 6:45 AM
Took me a bit to get used to the first round chambering. I had a habit of pulling the charging handle and letting my hand follow it back, once I got used to just letting it snap back it was fine.

Best way to load an AR is to lock the bolt to the back then release it. It feeds better, but agreed it isn't as satisfying as just pulling back the charging handle! :D