PDA

View Full Version : Help For The New Guy Please...

fsfty
05-01-2010, 12:36 PM
Hi...Im fairly new to shooting and i have a question about my .270 x-bolt mounted with a Bushnell Elite scope. I've only taken the gun on 4 range trips, and noticed today that i was shooting an inch higher without making any adjustments to the scope. The mounts have 4 screws each instead of the normal 2 and everything seems tight. I was still grouping, but just a little off where I had been. Is it common to have to make minor scope adjustments now and then (2 clicks)? I am a new to shooting so maybe I was doing something different today than i had been and its shooter caused? Thanks.

savageno4
05-01-2010, 1:10 PM
Hi...Im fairly new to shooting and i have a question about my .270 x-bolt mounted with a Bushnell Elite scope. I've only taken the gun on 4 range trips, and noticed today that i was shooting an inch higher without making any adjustments to the scope. The mounts have 4 screws each instead of the normal 2 and everything seems tight. I was still grouping, but just a little off where I had been. Is it common to have to make minor scope adjustments now and then (2 clicks)? I am a new to shooting so maybe I was doing something different today than i had been and its shooter caused? Thanks.

A number of things can cause that, but the No.1 would be ammo. Are you using the same ammunition you were when you sighted it in?

It is also easy to throw the scope out of alignment if you knock it into anything, including the safe or the bed of a truck, etc.

jmzhwells
05-01-2010, 1:21 PM
The warmer weather? Is it significanlty warmer than last time you shot? That will increase pressure/velocity. Same distance/ammo?

fsfty
05-01-2010, 1:36 PM
It is much warmer than when I've shot it before. I've been shooting in 50-60 degree weather, and today it is 90. I didn't realize temperature could have such an effect on the bullets trajectory. Thanks very much for your help.

gemini1
05-01-2010, 1:41 PM
Did you use the same ammo/load? I'm not sure about temperature, I doubt it has any effect but the wind condition does.