PDA

View Full Version : New Vltor rail for M1-A

X-NewYawker
05-01-2010, 12:12 PM
Vltor sent me the prototype of their next extended rail that does not use the side mounted screw on the M-14 receiver --

http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p54/Fasanoland/P1000671-1.jpg

it is drilled and tapped for side rails but you can place them where you need so you don't have the wide full side rails of a socom ii --

http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p54/Fasanoland/P1000670.jpg

http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p54/Fasanoland/P1000673.jpg

Ishoot
05-01-2010, 12:25 PM
Looks great. Hows the weight in comparison to the previous model?

k3nnex
05-01-2010, 12:52 PM
looks funky

dieselpower
05-01-2010, 12:56 PM
I am unclear why you need such a long top rail?

ChrisO
05-01-2010, 1:00 PM
You don't need it unless you are running some type of NV or a IR laser/illuminator... It would work well for a scout type mount... Not to much of a fan of the JAE m1a stocks that rifle looks huge and heavy!

Mute
05-01-2010, 1:17 PM
Seems to provide a good optic mounting solution for the M1A platform.

darkjedi351
05-01-2010, 1:21 PM
Hey! why don't you go by gun rider on this forum too? I get along with that guy. :) Your xnewyorker alter ego, well not so much. JK :chris:

So whats the deal with this new rail? will vltor sell this directly now? Allot of people didn't buy the 1st gen because it was exclusively through SAI and the only way SAI would sell it was if you sent them your rifle and they got to install it.

That's part of what pushed me over to the sage. I didn't want to send them my rifle to have something installed that i could do myself.

any idea on price? is it lighter? I like the side rail delete and placement options. When will this be available?

it needs to be cheaper than the troy battle rail...

thanks for the heads up!

bender152
05-01-2010, 2:31 PM
I like it.

I'd have to see how it mounts and what the price is before deciding tho.

Juice5610
05-01-2010, 4:23 PM
Are you supposed to be posting pictures of this prototype?

damon1272
05-01-2010, 4:54 PM
I have to comment between you and Stan and the amount of money you two are able to piss away on firearms is amazing! Keep it up because there is no way I can compete! That rig just looks too heavy. If you have an in with Vltor have them make a better scope mount that mounts over the receiver rather than the hand guard. Just my two cents.

X-NewYawker
05-01-2010, 5:00 PM
Hey! why don't you go by gun rider on this forum too? I get along with that guy. :) Your xnewyorker alter ego, well not so much. JK :chris:

So whats the deal with this new rail? will vltor sell this directly now? Allot of people didn't buy the 1st gen because it was exclusively through SAI and the only way SAI would sell it was if you sent them your rifle and they got to install it.

That's part of what pushed me over to the sage. I didn't want to send them my rifle to have something installed that i could do myself.

any idea on price? is it lighter? I like the side rail delete and placement options. When will this be available?

it needs to be cheaper than the troy battle rail...

thanks for the heads up!

That's YOU?!
Now I can start abusing you on BOTH sites...
:)

X-NewYawker
05-01-2010, 5:11 PM
Looks great. Hows the weight in comparison to the previous model?

Much lighter because it does not come with the wrap around bottom rail. they told me that they are releasing it really soon but I don't know if it will be from them or through Springfield. I think it superior to the original cluster rail because if you have a stock (like the JAE) with a bottom rail already installed, you just have the top for optics and you can add side mounts into the pre-tapped areas -- so if you wanted to run a laser, for example, you can just screw in a side rail where you want it without the full weight and size.

http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p54/Fasanoland/Vltorrail.jpg

It mounts to the gun in three places -- (from right to left:) in a block that is pinned in the stripper clip guide, in the groove where the fore end usually attaches and around the op rod guide block. It is very secure and ironically, I wanted the full rail so I wouldn't have to run a side mount like my great sadlak --

http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p54/Fasanoland/JAE%20rifles/_MG_7358.jpg

But found you couldn't take cake and eat it as well: I traded a buddy for a Socom II but it had the short rail -- and used the scope mount hole in the receiver for attachment, so I couldn't use the Socom and sadlak together. So I decided to maybe bite the bullet and replace the top short rail with the extended one.

When I was venting to Vltor about it, saying I wanted the extended rail, they told me about this prototype and i said, "Hells yeah."

Anyone make a MMG that will go on Vltor's Modstock? With a non-adjustible rifle Emod, that would be a *****ing project...

X-NewYawker
05-01-2010, 5:13 PM
You don't need it unless you are running some type of NV or a IR laser/illuminator... It would work well for a scout type mount... Not to much of a fan of the JAE m1a stocks that rifle looks huge and heavy!

It's good for a receiver topping scope -- the rail goes all the way back to the stripper clip guide. That's my teenage daughter with it -- she's five feet tall -- the gun is not much heavier than with the JAE alone.

darkjedi351
05-01-2010, 5:19 PM
does the top rail have screws across the top? it looks like it does so you couldremove it (not that you would want to)

X-NewYawker
05-01-2010, 5:28 PM
Those screw hold the rail together. I wouldn't remove them.

X-NewYawker
05-01-2010, 5:29 PM
Are you supposed to be posting pictures of this prototype?

I hope so -- just emailed Vltor -- if not, enjoy them now before I yank them off!

darkjedi351
05-01-2010, 7:21 PM
Those screw hold the rail together. I wouldn't remove them.

i'm just curious if it could be remoeved so i can mod it up on my sage. :43:
I want a full length top rail bad.

RT13
05-02-2010, 3:37 AM
Man, that M1A looks so heavy. How much does it weigh?

Juice5610
05-02-2010, 8:09 AM
I hope so -- just emailed Vltor -- if not, enjoy them now before I yank them off!

I downloaded them before I posted my question ;) lol

X-NewYawker
05-02-2010, 10:53 AM
Vltor tells me that as of now, they will be selling this rail direct, not through Springfield

darkjedi351
05-02-2010, 10:59 AM
Vltor tells me that as of now, they will be selling this rail direct, not through Springfield

That's great news! any word on pricing.

The DRis
05-02-2010, 11:26 AM
Awesome. I want the full rail bad!!

X-NewYawker
05-02-2010, 11:32 AM
No ideas on price -- but look at this again --

http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p54/Fasanoland/P1000671-1.jpg

MAkes my M1-A look like an M-60
that is the baddest *** rail and NO separate scope mount!

The DRis
05-02-2010, 11:38 AM
I agree man! Bad freaking ***!!! Granted it may weigh more than a 10/22, but IMO it's worth it. Suck it up and work out a bit!

brando
05-02-2010, 2:12 PM
Too bad it's still an M1A ;)

patriot_man
05-02-2010, 4:02 PM
why do you get all the cool stuff first!? :D

X-NewYawker
05-02-2010, 7:12 PM
why do you get all the cool stuff first!? :D

If you have to ask...