PDA

View Full Version : Ghost rings or red dot sight on 500?

dark_ninja
05-01-2010, 12:46 PM
I'm thinking about the next on for my 500. I have in transit a Knoxx SpecOps stock along with a modular cheek piece w/5 shotshell holder. So far I have a heatshield(forgot what brand),TacStar 6 shotshell holder(mounted to receiver),Mako/GMG Tac FL w/ pressure switch,tri-rail adapter and Mako sling adapter. I want to add either ghostrings or red dot sight. MY SG is mostly for target and HD. Anyone have some input on what and were I can buy?

http://i327.photobucket.com/albums/k441/Joey_Sixx/100_0853-1.jpg

BTW. I also want to add a longer coil switch. Anyone know of a universal coil switch I can use?

Ed_Hazard
05-01-2010, 12:57 PM
Forget the red dot, leave that to the tacticool rifle crowd. Install a set of ghost ring sights. If you really want to go all out get the tritium night sight set by XS sight systems or the trijicon sights. Scatter gun tech. makes some pretty good ones as well but I dont know if they offer them in tritium, but would be surprised if they dont. I prefer the ones with the protective wings myself. Any gunsmith should be able to install them for a reasonable fee, XS sights will do iy themselves. Or you could always try to do it yourself if you feel it is in the range of your ability. Ed

dark_ninja
05-01-2010, 2:10 PM
I've checked out the XS sight systems and think those are the way to go,at least for me. Where do you live Ed? I live in Hawthorne,near LAX. Know of any good gunsmiths in this area?

brent_mpk
05-03-2010, 3:04 PM
Ninja, nice looking 500. I am selling an LPA rear ghost ring night site because I went the red dot route on my 590A1. Guess I'm part or the tacticool bunch...;) PM me if you're interested.

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=287323

noob_tube
05-03-2010, 3:39 PM
You cant go wrong with a truglo red dot. Very well built, won't fall apart when used on a shotgun, and its no expensive ($70).

AndrewMendez
05-03-2010, 3:57 PM
May I be the first to ask why?? Are you comfortable using the bead? You already have a light on it...just point....and shoot! ;)

Once A Marine
05-03-2010, 4:01 PM
The only reason I could see for a ghost ring sight would be long range slug shots. If you're just shooting buck, or slugs in HD ranges, the bead is fine.

prc77
05-03-2010, 4:22 PM
bead is fine and you DON"T need a longer coil, if anything you should try to nix the coil all together. Get a light clamp the you can mount closer to the end of the forend. Check out www.cdmgear.com great products. And don't sell your OEM stock cause you will more than likely switch back to it.

dark_ninja
05-03-2010, 6:56 PM
May I be the first to ask why?? Are you comfortable using the bead? You already have a light on it...just point....and shoot! ;)

Well,in my experience using the bead isn't all that bad... used it up in A Place To Shoot when I was shooting skeet. But for that purpose perhaps I would like to use at the very least ghost rings.

The only reason I could see for a ghost ring sight would be long range slug shots. If you're just shooting buck, or slugs in HD ranges, the bead is fine.

I'm a brat so I kind also want it for looks!:D

bead is fine and you DON"T need a longer coil, if anything you should try to nix the coil all together. Get a light clamp the you can mount closer to the end of the forend. Check out www.cdmgear.com great products. And don't sell your OEM stock cause you will more than likely switch back to it.

I think what I was looking for was more a long the lines with a coil that is not coiled just in the middle as you can see in the pic... It's a little annoying when I take the pressure switch of the forend and have to spin it to get it just right. The length is just fine. I like that clamp on cdmgear.com but I'm looking to buy it as of right now... I recently bought the tri-rail

dark_ninja
05-03-2010, 6:57 PM
I wouldn't mind the red dot though :D

dark_ninja
05-03-2010, 10:41 PM
I messed up my pressure switch! I need a replacement.