PDA

View Full Version : PRE-ban high cap mags legal on AR-15?

subroutine
03-03-2006, 1:42 PM
question.
i know that hi cap mags (10+) are illegal in CA, but if you have one that was made prior to 1990 can you still install it in an AR with a fixed mag (sporting conversions) or is this a "no-10-round-plus mags period"?

SUB

blacklisted
03-03-2006, 1:46 PM
No fixed mags larger than 10 rounds, or else you have created an assault weapon.

subroutine
03-03-2006, 1:49 PM
that's exactly what i wanted to find out...........was just wondering what the deal is w/ those pre 1990 hi-cap mags....are they legal on other firearms, say a MAK-90, if it had been registered?

blacklisted
03-03-2006, 1:52 PM
They are legal on registered assault weapons, and they are legal to be used in something like the kel-tec (No pistol grip, but has detachable magazines). They are also legal in an AR-15 style rifle without pistol grip.

subroutine
03-03-2006, 1:55 PM
so when i legally register my stag-15 lower i can use a high cap mag??? (since it will then be an AW)?

subroutine
03-03-2006, 1:58 PM
do peole actually shoot ar's w/out a pistor grip? we are talking about the grip that attaches to the lower...........as when you buy a "complete" lower?...or is it one for those that attaches farther up front.

blacklisted
03-03-2006, 2:13 PM
so when i legally register my stag-15 lower i can use a high cap mag??? (since it will then be an AW)?

That is unclear at this time.

do peole actually shoot ar's w/out a pistor grip? we are talking about the grip that attaches to the lower...........as when you buy a "complete" lower?...or is it one for those that attaches farther up front.ster my stag-15 lower i can use a high cap mag??? (since it will then be an AW)?

Yes, people actually do shoot them without pistol grips. It looks uncomfortable, but it could help avoid issues with improperly fixing the mag.

shopkeep
03-03-2006, 2:30 PM
do peole actually shoot ar's w/out a pistor grip? we are talking about the grip that attaches to the lower...........as when you buy a "complete" lower?...or is it one for those that attaches farther up front.

One member of Calguns entered a 3 gun match with a gripless off-list lower and actually did pretty well too!

superhondaz50
03-03-2006, 2:53 PM
Just an add on to this post..... there is no such thing as a high cap... just standard capacity:D 10 rounders are low capacity. You can have and use standard capacity magazines if you had them before jan 1 2000, but you cant use them in any newly bought AR, AK, etc type receiver. You can use them in guns like the Kel-tec, Remington .223 pump, PAR-1 rifles (ak mags), registerd so called "AW's" and many more.

HEUER
03-03-2006, 3:16 PM
Just an add on to this post..... there is no such thing as a high cap... just standard capacity:D 10 rounders are low capacity. You can have and use standard capacity magazines if you had them before jan 1 2000, but you cant use them in any newly bought AR, AK, etc type receiver. You can use them in guns like the Kel-tec, Remington .223 pump, PAR-1 rifles (ak mags), registerd so called "AW's" and many more.

If the newly bought AR AK lower is listed and does not become a cat 4 AW then a standard magazine can be used if it is a reg AW.

ohsmily
03-03-2006, 3:41 PM
question.
i know that hi cap mags (10+) are illegal in CA, but if you have one that was made prior to 1990 can you still install it in an AR with a fixed mag (sporting conversions) or is this a "no-10-round-plus mags period"?

SUB

You have the date screwed up and also people aren't giving the correct answer (close, but it requires a putting a few posts to together to get it right)...

You had to have the magazine by Jan 1, 2000 and they generally had to be made by 1994 (b/c after that any new ones were marked LEO Only).

Anyway, if you have a detachable magazine rifle that is legally configured and allowed to accept detachable magazines, it does NOT MATTER WHAT CAPACITY THE MAGAZINE IS. So, Ruger Mini-14, sure, use a full cap mag, keltecu Su-16, go ahead, off list lower with no pistol grip or other SB-23 features, sure, use your full cap magazine on it. (this is predicated on the fact that the mag is legally owned and acquired). Whether the off list lowers are added or not has nothing to do with what capacity magazine you can use when it is in the detachable config.

This info is NOT to be confused with FIXED magazines. If you are FIXING a magazine in place, then it must be 10 rounds or less (on a non-AW).

xenophobe
03-03-2006, 4:24 PM
Just an add on to this post..... there is no such thing as a high cap... just standard capacity:D 10 rounders are low capacity.

Actually, if you want to get technical, the platform was originally designed to use 20 round mags, so standard capacity mags would be 20 rounders. So 30 round AR mags would indeed be high-capacity mags. ;)

subroutine
03-03-2006, 4:33 PM
i just got a stag-15 lower.
lets say it gets put on the AW list next week
if i find a pre 1994 mag, can i use it WITH the pistol grip?

HEUER
03-03-2006, 4:50 PM
The 1994 ban was a federal AW ban that restricted the manufacture of magazines with a capacity to hold 10 rounds or more. After 1994, you could still purchase magazines with a capacity of ten or more. California passed its own AW law, which prohibited the sale and xfer of magazines with 10 + capacity after 1/1/2000.

HEUER
03-03-2006, 4:52 PM
i just got a stag-15 lower.
lets say it gets put on the AW list next week
if i find a pre 1994 mag, can i use it WITH the pistol grip?

Where would you find this pre-1994 magazine? The sale and transfer of magazines with the capacity of 10 or more is prohibited after 1/1/2000. You cannot legally import a magazine with the capacity of 10 or more into California after 1/1/2000.

Please be careful.

HEUER
03-03-2006, 4:54 PM
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=26890&page=2&highlight=magazine+thread

This thread may answer your questions:

subroutine
03-03-2006, 4:55 PM
no, what i was alluding to was the fact that i might be able to find one "in-state".....although, yes, i'm sure it would be hard to locate and would cost a pretty penny at the same time.
at this point, i'm just curious/information gathering.

SUB

HEUER
03-03-2006, 5:00 PM
no, what i was alluding to was the fact that i might be able to find one "in-state".....although, yes, i'm sure it would be hard to locate and would cost a pretty penny at the same time.

SUB

You cannot xfer from one party to another in California after 1/1/2000. Where would you find it in state?

ohsmily
03-03-2006, 6:00 PM

SUB

"The sale and transfer of magazines with the capacity of 10 or more is prohibited after 1/1/2000."

Where does it say that you can get it if it is in the state already...it doesn't. Legally, if you did not possess full capacity magazines before 1/1/2000, you can NOT get any...doesn't matter whether they are already in the state or not, if they are not yours before 1/1/2000, you are out of luck (legally).

And if did have one, you can put it in your off list lower NOW, regardless of the lower being added to the lsit, as a detachable magazine, as long as you don't have any SB23 features on the rifle (pistol grip, flash suppressor, collapsible stock, etc). AS I SAID IN MY EARLIER POST, it does NOT matter what capacity the magazine is if the rifle is allowed to have a detachable magazine. (mini-14, ar-15, kel-tec, etc). BUT, AGAIN, in the off list lowers, you can't have SB23 features if you are running a detachable mag config.

subroutine
03-03-2006, 6:17 PM
You cannot xfer from one party to another in California after 1/1/2000. Where would you find it in state?

oh, i see......i misread the post (was getting ready to leave work in a hurry!!) and was perhaps having a blonde moment.
yes, if you can't transfer from 1 peep to another, then that completely rules it out then, doesn't it :)

the 10 mag will have to do! unless there is some other loophole to take advantage of other than the "no pistole-grip" one.

SUB