PDA

View Full Version : Does the 10rd limit apply to dummies?

joelogic
05-01-2010, 9:38 AM
Here is my stupid question of the day. Is is legal to link together more than 10rds of dummy rounds? I want to make a .308 belt. No primers, just case and bullet.

69Mach1
05-01-2010, 9:46 AM
Yes, illegal. It's not about the rounds. Links or belts are considered ammunition feeding devices. Stupid law, I know.

jamesob
05-01-2010, 9:52 AM
im not up on how the link law work but if he owned the links before 2000,couldnt he assemble more than ten rounds?

69Mach1
05-01-2010, 10:02 AM
im not up on how the link law work but if he owned the links before 2000,couldnt he assemble more than ten rounds?

Yes, pre ban links and belts are exempt.

ZirconJohn
05-01-2010, 10:13 AM
I abide by the 10 round limit, and I'm a dummy... so, my answer is yes? :D

Josh3239
05-01-2010, 12:31 PM
Only tubular.

bohoki
05-01-2010, 12:45 PM
what if you link them 10 dummys and one wood dowel

DREADNOUGHT78
05-01-2010, 12:47 PM

Hey your a Mod now! Congrats I think!

Decoligny
05-01-2010, 1:20 PM
what if you link them 10 dummys and one wood dowel

You could stuff them with alternating marshmallows and jalapeno peppers and it would still be an ammunition feeding device with more that 10 round capacity.

M. Sage
05-01-2010, 1:22 PM
You could stuff them with alternating marshmallows and jalapeno peppers and it would still be an ammunition feeding device with more that 10 round capacity.

This. More links than it takes to hold 10 rounds and you've just assembled a large-capacity feeding device.

joelogic
05-01-2010, 8:32 PM
How could it be a feeding device it the rounds are not fireable? It wouldnt feed anything.

69Mach1
05-01-2010, 8:37 PM
How could it be a feeding device it the rounds are not fireable? It wouldnt feed anything.

Because it's specifically included in the reg's. It's a matter of law.

Let's take a high cap box magazine. Same thing applies. It's still a high cap feeding device.

CSACANNONEER
05-01-2010, 8:50 PM
There is no IQ test for possessing magazines so, the ten round thing applys to dummys too.

dantodd
05-01-2010, 10:48 PM

That's the silliest thing I've ever read. You should only stuff them with alternating Marshmallows, Chocolate and Graham Cracker sticks. Anyone want s'more ammunition?

Sinixstar
05-01-2010, 10:52 PM

It doesn't matter. It's *capable* of feeding more then 10 rounds....

You could put a spring in a cardboard box that you duct-tape to the bottom of an AR-15, and it would be illegal. Why? because it's a device that you've designed/created to feed more then 10 rounds...

Thrasher416
05-01-2010, 11:57 PM

Wait, if he owned the links before the ban, but they were not linked together, and now in 2010 he links more than 10 together is that illegal manufacture of a high capacity ammo feeding device? Wouldn't it be the same as if someone bought a 30 round mag rebuild kit today and put it together?

I guess what I'm asking is do the belts have to have been linked together before 2000 to be legal?

Pyrodyne
05-02-2010, 9:34 AM
I would think if you mangled it somehow so that it couldn't actually fit any firearm, then it couldn't feed and wouldn't be considered manufacturing a high cap. Weld some stuff to the links. A large chunk of steel would probably do it for a static display.

Make sure you don't have more than 10 sausage links. That might constitute a high capacity destructive BBQ feeding device with intent to make children overweight.

CSACANNONEER
05-02-2010, 9:37 AM
Wait, if he owned the links before the ban, but they were not linked together, and now in 2010 he links more than 10 together is that illegal manufacture of a high capacity ammo feeding device? Wouldn't it be the same as if someone bought a 30 round mag rebuild kit today and put it together?

I guess what I'm asking is do the belts have to have been linked together before 2000 to be legal?

Yep. It would be the same as having a bunch of "mag rebuild kits" in 1999 that had never been +10 round mags in Ca. Both are only legal under proper permit.

Ding126
05-02-2010, 9:57 AM
Yep. It would be the same as having a bunch of "mag rebuild kits" in 1999 that had never been +10 round mags in Ca. Both are only legal under proper permit.

Why would you have rebuild kits in 1999? They would be legal mags right? And since posession of standard mags is not illegal..why wouldn't linked ammo fall under the same defenition?
Wouldn't it only be illegal if the linked belt/ammo were installed into a weapon..because having a loaded 30rnd mag is not illegal until installed into an AR with evil features.
These laws are silly and should be struck down...sooner rather than later.

Please chime in people. I'm a bit confused

Cokebottle
05-02-2010, 10:34 AM
Why would you have rebuild kits in 1999? They would be legal mags right?
Because magazines needed to be rebuilt before 2000 too.

Yes, anyone with a bunch of rebuild kits and half a brain would have assembled them to get them grandfathered, but if they were never assembled, they would have to remain rebuild kits and be used to repair the other mags.

CSACANNONEER
05-02-2010, 10:37 AM
Why would you have rebuild kits in 1999? They would be legal mags right? And since posession of standard mags is not illegal..why wouldn't linked ammo fall under the same defenition?
Wouldn't it only be illegal if the linked belt/ammo were installed into a weapon..because having a loaded 30rnd mag is not illegal until installed into an AR with evil features.
These laws are silly and should be struck down...sooner rather than later.

Please chime in people. I'm a bit confused

Many dealers sold mag parts long before 2000. If you had purchased all the parts to build magazines prior to 1-1-2000 but had not built them into mags before then, it would not be legal to do so now.

It can be perfectly legal to use your +10 round mags on ARs, AKs, etc. They just have to be featureless. As far as a 1919 or M2 goes, they have no features either! So between that and the fact that neither of them can be classified as an AW because they are not "rifles" (1919A6 aside), it is pefectly legal to run +1,000,000 round belts on either of them.

GuyW
05-02-2010, 11:11 AM
Well, yeah - but not many Brady's buy guns...

IrishPirate
05-02-2010, 11:23 AM

i asked this question too and was told that if you have a pre ban belt and fire it off completely, you can't link together more than 10rds after that. I was also told that some smart people with belts have at least 11 dummy rounds on the end so that their belt will always be hi-cap status and thus legal to reassemble. It's all cooky to me. seems like if you had enough links to make a +10 belt before the ban...you should be able to fire them all off and rebuild it. after all, you can rebuild a 30rd mag if all you have left is a floor plate.....stupid laws, absolutely stupid!!!

aileron
05-02-2010, 11:47 AM
Is a 100 round dummy linked belt of .308 found in the attic illegal if it was from the 80's? Or is that considered pre-ban, and you can use it with real ammo?

winnre
05-02-2010, 11:56 AM
Because it's specifically included in the reg's. It's a matter of law.

Matter of law...like 2A?

dantodd
05-02-2010, 12:18 PM
Is a 100 round dummy linked belt of .308 found in the attic illegal if it was from the 80's? Or is that considered pre-ban, and you can use it with real ammo?

If it belonged to you before the ban then it is legal to use with live ammo. So, if your grandfather died and left a bunch of stuff to you and it just got shoved in the attic it was yours and it was a large capacity feeding device before the ban went into effect.

Thrasher416
05-02-2010, 12:51 PM
^ Finding a high capacity mag is legal too, the manufacture and selling, transfering of one are illegal actions.

CharlieK
05-02-2010, 1:03 PM
I think it would be prudent to mention that it is not illegal to possess a magazine in CA capable of holding more than 10 rounds. Stop by an IPSC match any weekend and you'll see hundreds of them. The important part is to not transport a completed high capacity magazine into the state and if you're ever questioned about a high capacity magazine while in the state, KEEP YOUR MOUTH SHUT.

This approach complies with all state and Fed laws and has worked for thousands of IPSC shooters without negative ramifications.

CSACANNONEER
05-02-2010, 1:25 PM
I think it would be prudent to mention that it is not illegal to possess a magazine in CA capable of holding more than 10 rounds. Stop by an IPSC match any weekend and you'll see hundreds of them. The important part is to not transport a completed high capacity magazine into the state and if you're ever questioned about a high capacity magazine while in the state, KEEP YOUR MOUTH SHUT.

This approach complies with all state and Fed laws and has worked for thousands of IPSC shooters without negative ramifications.

FUD! It's completely legal for me to take my legally owned, +10 round ammunition feeding devices out of state and then re-import them. I do just that several times a year and I know it is not illegal. It would be illegal for me to import +10 round mags that I did not legally own before 1-1-2000 though.

leelaw
05-02-2010, 1:52 PM
Matter of law...like 2A?

No, that's a matter of enumerated rights.

CharlieK
05-02-2010, 3:49 PM
FUD! It's completely legal for me to take my legally owned, +10 round ammunition feeding devices out of state and then re-import them. I do just that several times a year and I know it is not illegal. It would be illegal for me to import +10 round mags that I did not legally own before 1-1-2000 though.

I stand corrected, you're right. I had in mind when people went to Reno guns shows, bought a new high cap mag, and drove into CA. That's a no no.

You're correct however.

otteray
05-02-2010, 5:16 PM

Wooo-Hooo!
Then I just have to get a firearm to go with my 1980s era keepsake from the deserts of SoCal...

dantodd
05-02-2010, 5:35 PM
FWIW you can buy a million links in Nevada and add them to your 11 rd. belt that you had pre-ban and be completely legal too.