PDA

View Full Version : Ruger 22/45

Markus
05-01-2010, 1:14 AM
Im going to be purchasing a Mark II 22/45 target 7" barrel and was wondering if there's anything that I should know when I go to pick it up? Any particular aftermarket accessories that I should check out? I've really had a fun time customizing my 10/22 and was hoping this might be a bit more of the same.

gunrun45
05-01-2010, 2:42 AM
You will have no regrets. Whenever I find a Mark II 22/45 I buy it. I have 3 right now and would have no qualms with picking up another 2.

They are rugged, durable, dependable, fun, cheap to shoot, and run with just about any ammo. I have one that LOVES the Aquila SSS rounds (not typical) and it is my favorite squirrel control item.

Some will add a scope rail and a long eye relief handgun scope. I would recomend against this though as it detracts from the handy size. Aftermarket parts are not really an issue due to the durability and design of the gun. Volquartsen makes a aftermarket trigger parts if you want a competition style trigger. I would really use the money though for a few extra magazines (they go quick) and ammo :)

Enjoy!!

RedFord150
05-01-2010, 9:47 AM
Only issue with Ruger .22 autos is re-assembly after cleaning. They are a Pain in the a*&.
Most guys say you get used to it. I got better, just never cared for it. I finally sold mine.

Markus
05-01-2010, 12:13 PM
Nice to know all Ill need is more clips :68:

Also wondering if anybody had any experience with the mcfadden clip loader?
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=523189

Foriegn power
05-01-2010, 1:32 PM
Well I have a ruger 22/45 with 5" barrel, bought it two years ago probably put 4,000+ rounds of .22LR bulk through, no cleaning and it still fires! I left it factory with open sites, in addition they are adjustable! I just put the sight rail on the pistol for more weight.

icedevil
05-01-2010, 5:00 PM
Best accessory for a 22/45 is a McFadden magazine loader. Strange looking contraption but it really works well. You can load a mag in a matter of seconds. That and some extra mags would be my first purchase.

!@#$
05-01-2010, 6:30 PM

get this + more mags + a bunch of ammo + a volquartsen sear. maybe a holster too.

Rudolf the Red
05-01-2010, 10:23 PM
Only issue with Ruger .22 autos is re-assembly after cleaning. They are a Pain in the a*&.
Most guys say you get used to it. I got better, just never cared for it. I finally sold mine.

Ditto.

gasol1ne
05-02-2010, 12:28 AM
i got a mk3 22/45 a week and a half ago, and i put over 1200 rounds through it already! its become my favorite pistol. its only had like maybe 4 jams, and that was due to the hollow point ammo being smashed on the feed ramp.

cleaning it sucks, and assembly is such a pain, with all the having to point the gun this way and that and pulling the trigger at certain points. Nothing terribly difficult, just a lot of steps.

RTE
05-02-2010, 12:36 AM
when looking for a 22/45
I held out for a deal on the slab side competition target model :)
http://www.glamisdunes.com/invision/gallery_imgs/1244660614/gallery_4554_28_9660.jpg

No regrets
Well maybe one >>>> should have probably bought the great eight model also before the prices took off.

gunrun45
05-02-2010, 2:42 AM

I can't believe that I forgot about this little gem. It is INCREDIBLE!!!!

I aquired 2 and gave one away to a friend to let him test it for me thinking it would be a while until I used mine. He called me FROM THE RANGE to tell me that I was his hero for giving him one. I then tried mine and fell in love. Since then, I have had several people buy them after trying mine.

jdg30
05-02-2010, 8:50 AM
I have 2 different 22/45's, the Hunter and standard fixed sight/blued. On both I installed the Volquartsen accurizing kit and replaced the stock extractor with a Power Custom extractor. I also got rid of the magazine disconnect feature by replacing the hammer and hammer bushing with a Mark II hammer and a Volquartsen Mark II hammer bushing. The Mark II setup allows you to get rid of the magazine disconnect feature so the mags drop out real easy when you push the mag release button. I took out the internal lock mechanism too because I will never use it.

By getting rid of the magazine disconnect, disassembly and reassembly are super easy. The mag disconnect feature is what makes reassembling the gun kind of a pain. I can put the guns back together without any problem every time after doing the modifications. The Volquartsen trigger kit makes a huge improvement over stock setup. The shape of the trigger is flatter and it has a over/under travel adjustment so the gun has a real clean, crisp short trigger pull.

One of the best things to do is replace the stock extractor with a Volquartsen or Power Custom extractor because the stock extractor is the cause of most of the guns malfunctions. After I replaced that, my guns rarely, if ever have a malfunction or jam anymore. The extractor throws the brass so far that I don't even see it near me anymore. One more thing that helps is rounding off the 4 sharp corners on the magazine lips with a Dremel or hand file. This helps improve the feeding of the bullets.

RookieShooter
05-02-2010, 9:03 AM

I used to have the same thought about cleaning. But after watching this video from this dude, it's a piece of cake. Pay special attention to the last 30 second of the video, that is the trick to reassemble the pistol.

Markus
05-03-2010, 4:14 PM
I used to have the same thought about cleaning. But after watching this video from this dude, it's a piece of cake. Pay special attention to the last 30 second of the video, that is the trick to reassemble the pistol.

Is it me or is there no video link posted here?

Bird of Fire
05-03-2010, 4:20 PM
I have 2 different 22/45's, the Hunter and standard fixed sight/blued. On both I installed the Volquartsen accurizing kit and replaced the stock extractor with a Power Custom extractor. I also got rid of the magazine disconnect feature by replacing the hammer and hammer bushing with a Mark II hammer and a Volquartsen Mark II hammer bushing. The Mark II setup allows you to get rid of the magazine disconnect feature so the mags drop out real easy when you push the mag release button. I took out the internal lock mechanism too because I will never use it.

By getting rid of the magazine disconnect, disassembly and reassembly are super easy. The mag disconnect feature is what makes reassembling the gun kind of a pain. I can put the guns back together without any problem every time after doing the modifications. The Volquartsen trigger kit makes a huge improvement over stock setup. The shape of the trigger is flatter and it has a over/under travel adjustment so the gun has a real clean, crisp short trigger pull.

One of the best things to do is replace the stock extractor with a Volquartsen or Power Custom extractor because the stock extractor is the cause of most of the guns malfunctions. After I replaced that, my guns rarely, if ever have a malfunction or jam anymore. The extractor throws the brass so far that I don't even see it near me anymore. One more thing that helps is rounding off the 4 sharp corners on the magazine lips with a Dremel or hand file. This helps improve the feeding of the bullets.

This X 74392748923789439823

PITA to install but you can definitely do it yourself. That extractor is worth its weight in unobtanium. The sear from volq is also money as well. Perfect and relatively inexpensive upgrades.