PDA

View Full Version : Upper and lower play. how loose is loose?

L4D
04-30-2010, 11:46 PM
I just noticed that my newly built AR has a tiny amount of play between the the upper and the lower. It doesn't rattle around or anything but when I apply a little to moderate torque I can feel the movement between the two. Is one of those buffer wedge things worth it or will it be fine with such little play?

I can push both pins out with my fingers if that bit of detail helps.

Hunter4life1990
04-30-2010, 11:48 PM
play in the receiver is normal. get the accu wedge if your seriously worried but its not somthing to be concerned about

NeoWeird
04-30-2010, 11:52 PM
Realistically, the lower's main job is to align the fire control group, recoil assembly, and magazine with the upper. The upper's main job is to hold the barrel and optics/sights aligned as well as guide the bolt and carrier. The take down and pivot pins hold both of those together so they won't seperate.

This is all common knowledge and I'm sure you know it, but sometimes just saying it is enough to make that switch in your brain flip so you realize so long as the gun cycles, 99% of the time upper/lower fit will not effect accuracy greatly.

Now if you're talking enough play that the upper is moving under the force of firing, or things are loose enough to settle in different positions, then you're in trouble. But just general shooting a little play is acceptable and in fact too tight of fit can flex the receivers and cause bind that can inhibit cycling and even lock up the gun.

AlliedArmory
05-01-2010, 12:07 AM
A little bit of play is perfectly normal. Try the $0.25 rubber o-ring trick before spending money on a accu-wedge. I put one on mine and is solid as a rock.

http://home.comcast.net/~jesse99/AR_Wiggle.html

L4D
05-01-2010, 12:27 AM
I need to get his rifle out and see what she does and If the play doesnt seriously affect action then ill be ok but if it does I think ill try both the o-rings and accu-wedge and see which one works best.

looking at those o-rings I can say that there may not be enough play to fit that in there. but there is enough play where I can settle the upper to the left or to the right. feels like a single click in a turret adjustment to best describe it.

Cobrafreak
05-01-2010, 8:53 AM
http://home.comcast.net/~jesse99/AR_Wiggle.html

The 1/2" O-ring works better than I thought it would. They come in several thicknesses. Get one of each for fitting. I used the skinniest one and you would swear it is a new from the factory gun from it's solidness. The best part is you can not see it as it is black and does not get in the way and can not fall off. No Brainer.

xxINKxx
05-01-2010, 9:09 AM
My AR has some play between the upper and lower. I purchased an accuwedge, and once installed I cant even get the upper to close onto the lower. You gotta have some serious gap/wiggle it seems to even use the accuwedge.

KING_PALM
05-01-2010, 9:21 AM
i bought an OCD wedge and had to hack it up just to get it any where near usable for my ar. it now lives in the bottom of my tool box. im going to try the o ring setup for my ar. if that doesnt work ill shoot my gun and stop having ocd. i might as well switch from a MOE stock to a CTR. hahahaha

farnorcal
05-01-2010, 9:21 AM
My AR has some play between the upper and lower. I purchased an accuwedge, and once installed I cant even get the upper to close onto the lower. You gotta have some serious gap/wiggle it seems to even use the accuwedge.

you can grind it down to tailor the fit