PDA

View Full Version : Which .45ACp ammo would be better of these 2:

Falstaff
04-30-2010, 9:35 PM
I have a SA trophy match and am getting a Glock and/or SA SD in .45 soon...Same price for either ammo.

Is it OK to shoot +p from my SA trophy match 1911?

45 ACP FEDERAL HYDRA SHOK 185 GRAIN +P
http://i44.tinypic.com/2ylnt5g.jpg

or

Speer 45 AUTO 200 GRAIN +P GDHP
GOLD DOT HOLLOW POINT
http://i44.tinypic.com/1znbsr9.jpg

Which would you choose and why?

bombadillo
04-30-2010, 9:43 PM
I myself have had great luck with federal feeding with ALL of my HD handguns. I shoot Federal HST when I can find it and have gone through quite a few boxes of .45acp to make sure it functions well. I find that it has a low flash, and works really well for what it was intended. It expands perfectly every time in gel, and I would put my life behind it. If I had to buy something new to try, it would be the critical defense ammo by hornady. Thats supposed to be the stuff to run at the moment. My local police force uses either black hills .40, or Ranger SXT in their duty weapons.

Black Majik
04-30-2010, 9:44 PM
I prefer Speer Gold Dot for your .45 ACP, but in 230 gr. not 200gr. +p out of a 5" Government 1911. 185gr +p is for shorter barrel .45s.

The Hydrashok is a bit old, if it was the HST it would make the comparison a bit closer.

smarter
04-30-2010, 9:50 PM
I have Corbon DPX +P in my 1911.

Falstaff
04-30-2010, 10:17 PM
LOL, ok guys, I know ithe two choices above may not the best/latest/ideal .45ACp HD ammo available on the market, but they are cheap, availiable and sell for the same price (390 for case of 500). I'm wondering what would be the better choice for use in my SA trophy match. (I have to choose one of the two above I can't afford both, it seems like a good deal to me as it's hard to find even ball ammo in .45 lately)

Anyway, I don't know much about the ballistic signifigance of 185 gr verse 200 grain ballistics in .45, but for the sake of argument, my SA 1911 is not my 1st choice HD gun, it's more of a target/competition/campsite gun for now untill I master it and can trust it (I've never fired yet, just got it outta jail a few days ago). And I just want to make sure that "+p" is OK to shoot in my new gun..

E. Fudd
04-30-2010, 10:26 PM
My $.02...

I wouldn't shoot +p .45 in a nice match 1911 for target ammo. Limited use for HD and function testing maybe. Beats up your nicely tuned 1911 unnecessarily, imho... I prefer regular ol' 230 gr. Less recoil, too...

Might be okay to run lots of +P in something like a Glock 21 or a USP .45.

Black Majik
04-30-2010, 10:26 PM
Your Springfield TM can handle +p, but it will accelerate wear and tear on your gun. I prefer to limit the amount of +p going through my guns, the only time I use it is when I want to refresh ammo.

Honestly, if you're going to pony up for defensive ammo, get 230 gr. for your gun. It wont accelerate the wear and it is better suited for your barrel length.

POLICESTATE
04-30-2010, 10:28 PM
I use Hornady's Critical Defense 185grain in my 1911.
http://www.hornady.com/store/45-ACP-185-gr-Critical-Defense/

ChrisTKHarris
04-30-2010, 10:28 PM
I use Speer Gold Dots.....for HD.

Sam
04-30-2010, 10:30 PM
Wouldn't ball be cheapest for a match?

SixtyDashOne
04-30-2010, 11:01 PM
Hopefully you're not planning on using those just for plinking because that would be a huge waste of money if you're doing anything other than function testing. But of the two I would go with the Gold Dots because from the testing I've seen, Hydra Shoks had poor expansion compared to most other hollow points. That said, I would not bother with +P in .45 anyway. Normal 230gr Gold Dots are my HD round of choice.

Legasat
04-30-2010, 11:05 PM
I use Gold Dots.

When I use Federal, the newer HST ammo is far better than what you have pictured.

rgs1975
04-30-2010, 11:27 PM
For .45 HD ammo I use Federal Hydra-Shok 230 grain JHP.

RT13
05-01-2010, 12:33 AM
I use both but mainly I prefer the Gold Dots.

bombadillo
05-01-2010, 5:43 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v108/RolexBenz190E/DSC_0046.jpg

Taken from: http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum65/26551-1.html

The top is Winchester Ranger SXT in .45acp 230gr. Great stuff and what I keep in the bedside gun.

PingPongBob
05-01-2010, 6:11 PM
*snip*The Hydrashok is a bit old*snip*

Yeah, so is the 1911. :rolleyes:

I keep "old" Black Talons" in mine.

FCinCA
05-01-2010, 6:19 PM
2 magazines and all Black Talons.

!@#$
05-01-2010, 6:47 PM
hydra shock,black talon, etc suck. they are old and unreliable designs.

gold dot,hst,rangerT
stick with these modern and proven loads. there are some new loads that look good but those 3 have been consistent performers for years. heavy for caliber non +p is best IMO.

PingPongBob
05-01-2010, 6:52 PM
hydra shock,black talon, etc suck. they are old and unreliable designs.

gold dot,hst,rangerT
stick with these modern and proven loads. there are some new loads that look good but those 3 have been consistent performers for years. heavy for caliber non +p is best IMO.

If it doesn't have a "New & Improved" or "But wait, there's more" attached to it, it's no good. Right?

!@#$
05-01-2010, 7:11 PM
If it doesn't have a "New & Improved" or "But wait, there's more" attached to it, it's no good. Right?

the real info is out there. if you want to use proven poor performers that's your choice. 20 years ago they might have been the best on the market. things change...

PingPongBob
05-01-2010, 7:20 PM
the real info is out there. if you want to use proven poor performers that's your choice. 20 years ago they might have been the best on the market. things change...

I guess I'll be happy with what I have and you can be happy with what you have. :)

pyromensch
05-01-2010, 7:32 PM
no one has mention any "frangible" rounds, like magsafe, or glaser, at least for HD. if you want something for HD, pony up the extra coin, and get something that is "supposed" to end the conflict, and if you miss, the rounds don't travel down range to hurt someone else. as to beating up the firearm, you could get a heavier recoil spring, and or shock buffers.

Black Majik
05-01-2010, 7:59 PM
Yeah, so is the 1911. :rolleyes:

I keep "old" Black Talons" in mine.

ok, Up to you...

bombadillo
05-01-2010, 10:23 PM
I was under the impression the Ranger SXT and the "Old" Black Talons were the same round virtually without a moly coating.

Parajeff71
05-01-2010, 11:20 PM
I was under the impression the Ranger SXT and the "Old" Black Talons were the same round virtually without a moly coating.

Me too. I dug this up.

"Winchester voluntarily pulled the ammunition from the market completely in 2000. The “Ranger SXT” ammunition sold today by Winchester is very similar to the Black Talon without the black Lubalox coating on the bullet. Among shooters, the running joke is that SXT stands for “Same eXact Thing”. The correct phrase is “Supreme eXpansion Technology”. However, there are significant differences in the anatomy of the bullets which becomes apparent when carefully examined side by side. The internal structure of the Black Talon’s hollow point is unique in that its petals are more massive at their tips, after expansion, than comparable bullets. This added mass provides superior expansion compared to most other hollow points including the “Ranger SXT”. This difference is obvious after firing into ballistic gelatin.[13] Winchester has since updated their Ranger SXT line and renamed it Ranger T-Series."

Sinixstar
05-01-2010, 11:32 PM
no one has mention any "frangible" rounds, like magsafe, or glaser, at least for HD. if you want something for HD, pony up the extra coin, and get something that is "supposed" to end the conflict, and if you miss, the rounds don't travel down range to hurt someone else. as to beating up the firearm, you could get a heavier recoil spring, and or shock buffers.

That's because the 'frangible' rounds are pretty much a waste of time.
Box-o-truth put that myth to rest.

Basically - if it has enough power to be useful for self-defense, it has enough power to blast through a wall or two. Even if it has a fancy name and costs more.

http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/bot23.htm

lazs
05-02-2010, 9:49 AM
Ok.. I gotta ask.. best for what? For 1911's you are better off just shooting cast bullets at about a tenth the price.. if you have a glock you are more limited but you can shoot jacketed reloads at about twice the cost of cast.. still... way cheaper than those buck a bullet things.