PDA

View Full Version : question on firearm transfer

1-shot-1-kill
04-30-2010, 7:52 PM
i have a pistol that was given to me by my father i no longer use it and want to sell it
its mine but registered to him i have filled out the itrafam transfer form but they take months to process
can i sell it or do i have to go through the whole intra family transfer process?
iv been told both saying all i need is a valid photo id
ffls will do transfer but say its 50/50 if it will bounce or not

anyone know for sure what the deal is

thanks

Librarian
04-30-2010, 11:55 PM
For neatness, if the transfer happened after 1991, you ought to file the OPLAW form.

Practically, in a PPT no one will check, and the pistol will be registered to the buyer via the DROS.

1-shot-1-kill
05-01-2010, 12:07 AM
SO VIA THE DROS IT WILL BE REGISTERED TO THE BUYER
SO SHOULD BE OK?

WHAT IS THE OPLAW FORM? AND WERE WOULD I FIND IT? is it the same as a intra fam transfer?(i have already done this form however they take forever to process them my sister did it and it took almost 4 months)

I RECIEVED TO PISTOL IN 2006

Mssr. Eleganté
05-01-2010, 12:53 AM
Yes, the Op-Law form is the same as the Intra-Familial form. You can transfer it to another person through an FFL right now. But since you sent in the Op-Law/Intra-Familial form already, be aware that the handgun is also going to end up registered to you as well. If the PPT DROS gets processed before your mailed in form gets processed then the registration to you will actually have a later date than the registration to the new owner. If this worries you then you can send in the "No Longer In Possession" form for that handgun after you receive conformation of your Intra-Familial registration. That handgun will always be associated with you in the DOJ database, but sending in the no longer in possession form will add a little mark next to that gun on your record that says you transfered it.

1-shot-1-kill
05-01-2010, 12:57 AM
Yes, the Op-Law form is the same as the Intra-Familial form. You can transfer it to another person through an FFL right now. But since you sent in the Op-Law/Intra-Familial form already, be aware that the handgun is also going to end up registered to you as well. If the PPT DROS gets processed before your mailed in form gets processed then the registration to you will actually have a later date than the registration to the new owner. If this worries you then you can send in the "No Longer In Possession" form for that handgun after you receive conformation of your Intra-Familial registration. That handgun will always be associated with you in the DOJ database, but sending in the no longer in possession form will add a little mark next to that gun on your record that says you transfered it.

ok kool were do i fid the no longer in possession form ?
is it on the doj website? or can i get it from the ffl were i do transfer?

1-shot-1-kill
05-01-2010, 1:00 AM
never mind found it
thanks for the heads up