PDA

View Full Version : Anyone know a good stun gun?

Oldnoob
04-30-2010, 6:09 PM
I'm not sure where to post this, but I'm looking for a stun gun for a girl friend of mine. I would prefer her carry a real gun, but she spend most of her time in university and work there too (:( thank you Gun Free Zone to make our school the perfect target).

She usually either carry a med size purse or carry a bag. So I'm not looking for any those fly zapper that fit in the packet. So I guess the (can't believe I'm using this term) "Stopping Power" is what I'm asking for. And since we don't want to carry a generator behind her, size is the 2nd in focus.

Thanks for any input.

1911Operator
04-30-2010, 6:12 PM
get her a 1911 and paint lightning on the rounds, or just go to the next gun show near you, they always have a bunch of them.

Oldnoob
04-30-2010, 6:26 PM
I know, I know. If it's up to me, I would have her carrying a LCR. But no, against all logic. She only want a stun gun. Most likely non projectile.

stix213
04-30-2010, 6:27 PM
Taser C2 is probably the best option. 6" long with 15' range and uses the same technology as the police tasers that will make anyone who attacks yell "Don't tase me bro!" Plus its generally legal to conceal carry in CA without a CCW.

http://www.itaser.com/

Who wants a regular stun gun where you have to be within cut-your-throat-with-a-knife range to use it? I own a Taser M18 (older model) and its pretty sweet.

Oldnoob
04-30-2010, 6:39 PM
Yes, so far C2 looks pretty promising... at lease for me. But I don't know what she will feel about the projectile.

stix213
04-30-2010, 6:41 PM
Yes, so far C2 looks pretty promising... at lease for me. But I don't know what she will feel about the projectile.

Ask her if she really wants to have her attacker within arm's reach before she can defend herself.

Notblake
04-30-2010, 7:01 PM
Guys I want to clear something up here, IN CALIFORNIA there was a ruling stating that because a Tazer fires a projectile, it is considered a loaded firearm, where as a Stun Gun DOES NOT fire a projectile. You may carry a Tazer anywhere you can carry a loaded firearm (your home). Unless this girlfriend of yours is a LEO or has a CCW permit tazers are a no-no.

All this being said, good pepper-spray and training is in my opinion much more effective than a stun gun. Key word here TRAINING.

I'll see if I can dig up that case law for u.

TurboChrisB
04-30-2010, 7:07 PM
Hmmmm....interesting...here's what the website says...

Common Myths
Questions and Misnomers Top Things You Need To Know

"I’m not comfortable with firearms. Isn’t TASER C2 a firearm? "

TASER Electronic Control Devices (ECDs) are not considered firearms by the U.S. Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives (BATF) because the TASER cartridge uses compressed, inert nitrogen gas to launch the probes instead of gun powder.

"Isn’t it illegal to carry a TASER ECD?"

It is legal to own a TASER C2 ECD in the U.S. except in HI, MA, MI, NJ, NY, RI, WI, and the District of Columbia. Other states might have limited restrictions on the use or possession of ECDs.

leelaw
04-30-2010, 7:26 PM
Stun guns are devices that cause pain, and pain alone. The do not knock people unconscious, they do not restrict their movement, they do not overcome their neurological and motor functions.

The Taser C2, applied properly, will incapacitate the attacker and give your girlfriend 30 seconds to get away.

The stun gun will piss them off, and do so at arms length.

Oldnoob
04-30-2010, 8:19 PM
If it's up to me. This is what I would use for "Taser".

http://www.popsci.com/files/imagecache/article_image_large/articles/ExplodingBullet.jpg

http://cache4.asset-cache.net/xc/84232370.jpg?v=1&c=IWSAsset&k=2&d=77BFBA49EF8789215ABF3343C02EA5487C120D602AEF5277 5F6DF05F0C53A395B2ADB2BB7758F534E30A760B0D811297

And fired from a 12 gauge shot gun.

1*mike
04-30-2010, 8:28 PM
I agree taser is the way to go. At the risk of sounding overly macho. I can take the stun gun out of her hand even if it hits me. But that taser is a hell of a ride. I've been hit with it. It is a hell of a ride.

It isn't cheap but if you really want the best go taser.

leelaw
04-30-2010, 8:36 PM
If it's up to me. This is what I would use for "Taser".

http://www.popsci.com/files/imagecache/article_image_large/articles/ExplodingBullet.jpg

http://cache4.asset-cache.net/xc/84232370.jpg?v=1&c=IWSAsset&k=2&d=77BFBA49EF8789215ABF3343C02EA5487C120D602AEF5277 5F6DF05F0C53A395B2ADB2BB7758F534E30A760B0D811297

And fired from a 12 gauge shot gun.

You run into firearm carry issues at that point.

Oldnoob
04-30-2010, 8:44 PM
All joke aside. The C2 looks most promising.

f33dback
04-30-2010, 8:50 PM
If you're going to get one make sure it has stun gun ability for backup, you won't be reloading that taser quickly.

If there is more than one person quality pepper spray can be useful, but again they don't sell anything but seasoning in a can to civilians.

Notblake
04-30-2010, 11:16 PM
If you're going to get one make sure it has stun gun ability for backup, you won't be reloading that taser quickly.

If there is more than one person quality pepper spray can be useful, but again they don't sell anything but seasoning in a can to civilians.

Would you like to come test my seasoning In a can?

10% OC at 2M shu Is a TERRIBLE experience. now I will admit that I have seen some REALLY sorry examples of OC spray, but the Fox labs / Sabre stuff is PLENTY potent. Ive been hit with Sabre 3 in one it was terrible and terrifying. Terrible because of the pain and the fact that my snot felt like it was choking me to death, terrifying because the pain was so bad that I kept thinking that there was something wrong, that I would never see again, that this must have been a bad batch and I needed to call the EMT's and I had a buddy there to calm me down, and wash me off, I can't imagine if I got hit with it out of no-where, and the person who hit me with it just nailed me in the groin, I might prefer the .45 at that point. If you can out manuver the BG for about 1-2 seconds he's got no fight to give.

And personally I don't buy the stuff about squirting it in bursts, you give him the whole damn can.

WokMaster1
05-01-2010, 8:58 AM
If she is Taiwanese, have her carry a small airtight tupperware of "Chow Tofu" or Stinky Tofu. She can hurl it at the BG. The smell alone will have the BG gagging & puking for a while.:p

Seriously if some scientist can get that smell into an aerosol spray concept, say good bye to pepper spray. Only effective against non stinky tofu lovers.;)

f33dback
05-01-2010, 9:08 AM
Would you like to come test my seasoning In a can?

10% OC at 2M shu Is a TERRIBLE experience. now I will admit that I have seen some REALLY sorry examples of OC spray, but the Fox labs / Sabre stuff is PLENTY potent. Ive been hit with Sabre 3 in one it was terrible and terrifying. Terrible because of the pain and the fact that my snot felt like it was choking me to death, terrifying because the pain was so bad that I kept thinking that there was something wrong, that I would never see again, that this must have been a bad batch and I needed to call the EMT's and I had a buddy there to calm me down, and wash me off, I can't imagine if I got hit with it out of no-where, and the person who hit me with it just nailed me in the groin, I might prefer the .45 at that point. If you can out manuver the BG for about 1-2 seconds he's got no fight to give.

And personally I don't buy the stuff about squirting it in bursts, you give him the whole damn can.

Wow that situation opens a bunch of questions which I think I will not ask.
My experience, full can of police grade on a pitbull, dog kept coming, and back in the 90's a group of guys goofing around I got a blast in the face and easily grabbed the guy and popped him a few times.

You got one blast (in the groin?) and wanted to call the EMT's....They must have changed the formula.

Rogue187
05-01-2010, 9:10 AM
The TASER that your thinking about that was classed as a firearm is no more.
Those tasers were considered firearms as they used a powder charge.
Those tasers haven't been made for years..and are no longer available to the public.

There are two civilian legal tasers now available to the public.

C2
X26C

Both are civilian legal.

The C2 is the one more geared towards the women as it does come in pretty colors. It also has the ability to phase for 30 seconds and it comes with the warranty that if it is used in an attack you taser the individual and put it down and run away. Taser will send you another one FREE if you provide the police report. Must pass a background check before it will activate. Looks like a scifi weapon.

X26C is almost the same one as the police issue but it only has cartridges that can reach out to 15ft. There is NO replacement sent if used to defend oneself. It is the same size as the one the police carry on their belts.
Only in Bright yellow color. It has the appearance of a pistol.

The cost of the X26C is much more than the C2.

I am an instructor for TASER..PM is you have more questions.

Kappy
05-01-2010, 10:16 AM
I've found the feeling of a large caliber snubnose to be pretty stunning.

Oldnoob
05-01-2010, 10:49 AM
Those tasers haven't been made for years..and are no longer available to the public.

C2
X26C

Both are civilian legal.

The C2 is the one more geared towards the women as it does come in pretty colors. It also has the ability to phase for 30 seconds and it comes with the warranty that if it is used in an attack you taser the individual and put it down and run away. Taser will send you another one FREE if you provide the police report. Must pass a background check before it will activate. Looks like a scifi weapon.

X26C is almost the same one as the police issue but it only has cartridges that can reach out to 15ft. There is NO replacement sent if used to defend oneself. It is the same size as the one the police carry on their belts.

Thank you, I will check them out.

MossbergMan
05-01-2010, 11:18 AM
Yeah, The C2 is designed to be fired and discarded at the scene. Contiunous stun for 30 seconds. The cops X-26 only give 5 second rides per pull of the trigger, of course they can pull the trigger as many times... as the video cameras will allow.
Taser will, upon proof of a legitimate defensive discharge replace the unit. I think a good set up is the C2 and an ASP Palm Defender unit on her key chain. As a chemical weapons instructor I have been sprayed and shot with many pepper products(including the owie pepper balls), the ASP product is right there on top. Yes, I had my daughter test it on me.
It doesn't look like pepper spray, can be carried all the time and I know from personal experience it will go through TSA screening (of course had my wife been caught our vacation to Hawaii wouldn't have been as much without her).
So between the two, your girlfriend should be pretty well protected.

Steve G
05-01-2010, 12:04 PM
Got to be real close quarters to use a stun gun. What happens after she zaps the guy and he gets up and continues doing what he does that got him zapped in the first place.

Millions-Knives
05-01-2010, 12:15 PM
I did some research on these... just make sure you don't carry these into a post office, or airport. Also something about public meetings to look into.

Oldnoob
05-01-2010, 12:29 PM
Got to be real close quarters to use a stun gun. What happens after she zaps the guy and he gets up and continues doing what he does that got him zapped in the first place.

I understand what were you thinking. And yes a stun merely give you extra edge in close combat, and really what else can you ask for. That's why I found the C2 has some really well though out idea for real self defense application. Once the projectiles fired of the taser, it will continue sent out the electrics for 30 sec. Than you leave the whole stun gun on the floor and make a run for it.
If the projectile missed, you can use it as normal stun gun. It still better than unarmed.

The only part I would like to see is if they can replace the thumb press button instead a trigger. Kind of like a X26-C2 hybrid.

1911Operator
05-01-2010, 2:32 PM
I got my gf one today at the gun show, it looks like lip stick, but its a flashlight and a 2 million volt taser. its pretty nice and veryyyyy concealable! I think its a good choice, just hearing it makes me cringe.

Ross
05-01-2010, 5:58 PM
Hmmmm....interesting...here's what the website says...

Common Myths
Questions and Misnomers Top Things You Need To Know

"I’m not comfortable with firearms. Isn’t TASER C2 a firearm? "

TASER Electronic Control Devices (ECDs) are not considered firearms by the U.S. Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives (BATF) because the TASER cartridge uses compressed, inert nitrogen gas to launch the probes instead of gun powder.

"Isn’t it illegal to carry a TASER ECD?"

It is legal to own a TASER C2 ECD in the U.S. except in HI, MA, MI, NJ, NY, RI, WI, and the District of Columbia. Other states might have limited restrictions on the use or possession of ECDs.

Go some news fer ya;

A pellet gun uses compressed air, and is considered a replica firearm and dangerous weapon.

A airsoft gun uses a spring (I think), and can be considered a firearm and dangerous weapon.

A cross-bow uses a taut string, and is considerd dangerous weapon.

Finally, a wrist rocket uses a rubberband, and is considered a dangerous weapon.

The City of San Diego (and I think the state) considers anything which can shoot or release a projectile as a firearm.

For the pellet and airsoft, refer to CA Penal Codes 12550 and 12556.

San Diego muni code:
53.15 Air Guns, Sling Shots, Pointed Missiles, Etc. — Discharge, Propelling Prohibited
That it shall be unlawful for any person to discharge any air gun, or sling shot, or
bean shooter, or throw, hurl, heave or propel any sharp pointed missile, or dart, or
arrow upon any public street or sidewalk or public gathering place within the
corporate limits of The City of San Diego.
(“Air Guns, Sling Shots, Pointed Missiles, Etc. — Discharge, Propelling Prohibited”
incorp. 1–22–1952 by O–5046 N.S., contained in O–61 N.S., adopted 10–24–1932.)

Pretty sure a taser, which launches dart, will be wrapped up in at lease one of these.

corrupt
05-01-2010, 8:43 PM
Stun guns are devices that cause pain, and pain alone. The do not knock people unconscious, they do not restrict their movement, they do not overcome their neurological and motor functions.

The Taser C2, applied properly, will incapacitate the attacker and give your girlfriend 30 seconds to get away.

The stun gun will piss them off, and do so at arms length.

This is absolutely correct.

Personally I would give her a can of fox spray. Get the 2 oz. Anything over 2.5 ounces in the hands of a civilian is illegal in California, last time I looked at those pesky law books.

leelaw
05-01-2010, 8:59 PM
Go some news fer ya;

No need to be rude about it.

Pretty sure a taser, which launches dart, will be wrapped up in at lease one of these.

I'm sure if you use the device unlawfully they might consider it under one of your quoted sections, in addition to the felony misuse of a stun/taser device. As a citizen carrying and using the device lawfully - no crime.

Garylee
09-20-2010, 2:38 AM
I konw about it。Since each person has the muscle and nerve, stun gun (http://www.gadgettown.com/Stun-Guns/)is effective anywhere you hit attack. Stun Gun has a similar design. They are usually straight or curved, and about the size of a flashlight battery in normal operation. They provide the voltage type and price. The maximum voltage in this time was 1,500,000. Voltage stun guns have more, faster, more reliable it is. It may take more time effective, if the attacker is large or has a low voltage stun gun.
:D

The Original Godfather
09-20-2010, 3:07 AM
Anyone know how well the C2 can penetrate?

How well does it work against a leather jacket/parka or thick sweater? :confused:

Roccobro
09-20-2010, 8:48 AM
The design of the pulse on the Taser starts out with a larger pulse to "penetrate" thick clothing. It is known by crooks to grab an extra blanket or jacket if they know a Taze is coming. But for regular clothes or jacket worn in publc- it still makes contact and does it's job.

Justin

sytfu_RR
09-20-2010, 12:36 PM
I have a Taser X26c mine came in Black but has the yellow door 15ft ranged cartridges. When I pull the trigger it goes by intervals of 10seconds. ( to max of 30seconds ) As far as the legality it's been a green light around here ( nor cal ). They are expensive though, I paid $860:eek: for mine almost 2 years ago. However I can CCW it wherever ( except for gov buildings,schools,etc )

IrishPirate
09-20-2010, 12:42 PM
There's a pepper spray/stun gun combo at Fry's for $50. ($40 plus S&H online) The Uzi Terminator (http://www.qmuniforms.com/Product/uzi-terminator-combo-500k-stun-gun-and-pepper-spray/S69+1475/100218390).
http://outdoorpark.cz/outdoor/bigbig/21001.jpg
pretty good deal for a concealable stun gun and some pepper spray, but all the other cautions about stun guns should be taken into account. Just thought I'd pass on the info incase you/she want to go this route.

Shenaniguns
09-20-2010, 12:43 PM
Until I finally have my CCW, I'm carrying a Taser C2 and 2oz can of Fox Labs OC.

Shenaniguns
09-20-2010, 12:45 PM
There's a pepper spray/stun gun combo at Fry's for $50. ($40 plus S&H online) The Uzi Terminator (http://www.qmuniforms.com/Product/uzi-terminator-combo-500k-stun-gun-and-pepper-spray/S69+1475/100218390).
http://outdoorpark.cz/outdoor/bigbig/21001.jpg
pretty good deal for a concealable stun gun and some pepper spray, but all the other cautions about stun guns should be taken into account. Just thought I'd pass on the info incase you/she want to go this route.

I'd pass on those as neither are as effective as what i posted above, they are a 'deal' for a reason.

maddoggie13
09-20-2010, 12:47 PM
+1 on C2

JPurp
09-20-2010, 4:25 PM
Not sure if anyone mentioned this but Taser C2 can be used as a direct contact device as well.

stitchnicklas
09-20-2010, 5:56 PM
i have a knock off tazer for my wife ,it uses gunpowder in the charges so it is illegal to carry assembled but 2 secs to put cartridge in,stand alone it is still a stungun.

the c2 gas style is legal assembled.

pepper spray is good too..saber defense brand is what i bought for my mom.

Wolfhound9k
09-20-2010, 10:12 PM
lots of CSUs and UCs have a campus policy against electric stun devices fyi... and it would suck to be discovered printing a TASER then called into the dean's for disciplinary action

with that said, the C2 is a fine choice, it will run you around $350 for a package deal with C2 unit w/ laser (you can't aim it otherwise), a carry case, and some reloads for practice or backup

pictureman
10-01-2010, 10:35 AM
I suggest that she carry the Taser X-26C with the (Xdpm) which is the extended battery that will hold an extra cartridge.
The X-26C shoots up to (3) 10 second bursts of current everytime you pull the trigger, and has a 15' range.
This model has a laser as well as a light built in for night time use if needed.

Now I'm not saying to "Taz" the subject for 30 seconds, you'll just have to use you own judgement. She just needs to be safe.

The X-26c can also be used for direct contact as well. It is somewhat pricey around 900.00, but well worth it in my opinion.

I hope that helps.

ExtremeX
10-01-2010, 10:53 AM
http://www.awn.com/files/imagepicker/1/crank02_CrankHighVoltage-DuranDuboi-2.jpg

pictureman
10-01-2010, 10:57 AM

C2
X26C

Both are civilian legal.

I have the X-26C in black with the XDPM and I love it. I carry it all the time on a bellywrap or ankle holster with no problem.
Now I see you only offer it in yellow, when did that change ?