PDA

View Full Version : Firearm transport question?

04-30-2010, 6:05 PM
So, What are the options for transoprting a firearm in a hatchback car with no enclosed trunk? Can you still do it, just prohibited of travel within 1000 feet of a school? Can you store ammo in the car without having to put it in the glovebox?

Thanks

berto
04-30-2010, 6:14 PM
Unloaded in a locked container. Ammo is fine anywhere but in the firearm.

Cokebottle
04-30-2010, 6:21 PM
What Berto says is true.

Sounds like you've been fed some Turner's FUD ;)

Did they also tell you that the DOJ trigger lock must be installed at all times when transporting or storing?
Here's a clue... the DOJ trigger locks make awesome motorcycle helmet locks ;)

oldyeller
04-30-2010, 6:40 PM
Do long guns need to be in a locked container?

Cokebottle
04-30-2010, 6:41 PM
Do long guns need to be in a locked container?
Not under California law, but the Federal "Gun Free School Zone" law does not distinguish between "concealable" and long guns.

CSDGuy
04-30-2010, 7:00 PM
It is because the Federal Gun Free School Zone Act does not distinguish between long and concealable firearms, that the safest method of transport is to secure firearms in their own lockable container, unloaded per People v. Clark. A vehicle trunk may be considered a locked container, but it can not be accessible from the passenger compartment.

As long as you do NOT cross any such school zones, it's technically legal, but not a good idea, to have the firearm out in the open, unloaded...

stix213
04-30-2010, 7:39 PM
If you aren't driving in a school zone your long guns can just be thrown in your hatchback unloaded with full mags sitting all around in your car :p

If you do drive within a school zone they need to be locked up in a case unloaded, or locking gun rack. Best recommended way to transport really.

When I go shooting I have a route I drive that avoids school zones so I don't have to bother locking up the long guns, but if you don't want to do that just lock them up in a similar way you have to lock up hand guns. Its a good idea to not have your guns visible from outside your car anyways for various reasons (I would assume you will be more likely to get pulled over for that crack in your windshield with an open AR pressed up against your real window for example)

05-01-2010, 11:26 AM
So I need a locking box for the rifle to be in a hatchback driven within a school zone I take it. IDK how most hatchbacks are but I know some have the "hatch area" as part of the passanger compartment, a.k.a there is no barrier and is easily accesable from the back seat.

Another question, folding back seats - do those count as "easily accesable to the trunk area" and are disqualified as a locking container?

Thanks for the info

Decoligny
05-01-2010, 11:36 AM
So I need a locking box for the rifle to be in a hatchback driven within a school zone I take it. IDK how most hatchbacks are but I know some have the "hatch area" as part of the passanger compartment, a.k.a there is no barrier and is easily accesable from the back seat.

Another question, folding back seats - do those count as "easily accesable to the trunk area" and are disqualified as a locking container?

Thanks for the info

If the folding back seat doesn't require a key or combination to unlock it to get into the trunk, it counts as being accessable, and the trunk would not be a locking container.

ZombieHunter90
05-01-2010, 9:42 PM
Is a long-barreled shotgun considered a long-gun? I'm going shooting tomorrow and I only have a soft-case for my Mossberg (no lock). What's the legality of transporting that in a Chevy Trailblazer that has no trunk compartment?

lorax3
05-01-2010, 9:51 PM
What's the legality of transporting that in a Chevy Trailblazer that has no trunk compartment?

Same answer as OP.

If you are transporting a longarm CA law exempts you from the state school zone regulations. 626.9

Federal law would dictate that you would either need to have your shotgun in a locked container or in a locked firearms rack in your vehicle. 18 USC 922(q) *Note that Federal law makes no mention of trunks as examples of locked containers, this is only seen in CA PC 12025, 6269, and maybe a few other sections.

Since you are talking about a shotgun or firearm with a barrel > 16" concealment is not an issue. 12025

You would of course need to keep it unloaded. 12031

ZombieHunter90
05-01-2010, 9:53 PM
Thanks man! Cheers.