PDA

View Full Version : Stupid Q of the day!

RT13
04-30-2010, 5:33 PM
Is it normal for the ejected casing to strike this triangular area part of the upper just outside the dust cover? Not sure of the actual term or name for that part and if I did, it will probably answer my stupid question. Never noticed this on any other AR's I have shot before, but then again they weren't mine. But this one is mine and shot it for the first time and noticed it after a few rounds. The rifle performed flawlessly but noticed that the edge of that housing had some wear marks. Finish is worn thin, almost bare from the casings hitting it. I'm sure this is the purpose of this part but just want to know if this is normal? Stupid Q of the day from a rookie AR owner!:)

paintballergb
04-30-2010, 5:37 PM
Lol yes. It's called a brass deflector.

Parajeff71
04-30-2010, 5:42 PM
Beat me to it

1 SIG fan
04-30-2010, 6:02 PM
My lwrc does it too. Left a nice tiger stripe in the MRE finish

Fate
04-30-2010, 6:16 PM
http://shannon-oneill.net/images/oh%20noes%208.jpg

tomd1584
04-30-2010, 6:18 PM
If its hitting it, it means your AR is working optimally.

RT13
04-30-2010, 8:29 PM
LMFAO!:D Thank you guys. As you can tell, it's my very first AR. And I'm a rookie at this whole AR thing thanks to you bastards at Calguns, lol. Been shooting for 25 years and have only owned/own an M1A, 22 rifles, a couple bolt actions, AK's and multitudes of handguns but I'm really new to the AR platform, atleast as an owner. I've shot AR's a few times but I guess because they weren't mine, I didn't pay attention nor cared. But since this was new w/o a scratch....and mine, I'm babying it and noticing everything. FWIW, honestly though, I actually did think that the purpose of that deflector was just that, but just wanted to make sure. Dammit now my AR has a scratch.;)
I actually thought before posting this question that this is probably the actual answer, just didn't know what the name for that part was and couldn't find it anywhere. And I knew that I was gonna look stupid by asking this rookie question of the day or week. But I just wanted to make sure. Thanks for being gentle, lol. Calguns rock!:)

paintballergb
04-30-2010, 8:37 PM
LMFAO!:D Thank you guys. As you can tell, it's my very first AR. And I'm a rookie at this whole AR thing thanks to you bastards at Calguns, lol. Been shooting for 25 years and have only owned/own an M1A, 22 rifles, a couple bolt actions, AK's and multitudes of handguns but I'm really new to the AR platform, atleast as an owner. I've shot AR's a few times but I guess because they weren't mine, I didn't pay attention nor cared. But since this was new w/o a scratch....and mine, I'm babying it and noticing everything. FWIW, honestly though, I actually did think that the purpose of that deflector was just that, but just wanted to make sure. Dammit now my AR has a scratch.;)
I actually thought before posting this question that this is probably the actual answer, just didn't know what the name for that part was and couldn't find it anywhere. And I knew that I was gonna look stupid by asking this rookie question of the day or week. But I just wanted to make sure. Thanks for being gentle, lol. Calguns rock!:)

Just put this :oops: in you signature line for one week and we will forget all about this.

ChrisTKHarris
04-30-2010, 8:38 PM
I hate how the brass scuffs up the deflector.

reidnez
04-30-2010, 8:39 PM
Hahaha--don't feel bad. We all have to learn from somewhere. I've asked many a silly question in my time on earth.

And dude, it's a service rifle, not a $10,000 Italian over-under. It's meant to have a few scratches! :)

anniepoks
04-30-2010, 8:41 PM

simply put a patch of duck tape and take them off
once cleaning time. less scuff on your dear AR.

ChrisTKHarris
04-30-2010, 8:42 PM
simply put a patch of duck tape and take them off
once cleaning time. less scuff on your dear AR.

Blue painters tape would work even better because it wouldn't leave ANY residue.

I'm a big fan of blue painters tape, it protects well. :eeps:

http://i492.photobucket.com/albums/rr281/christkharris/VP2_8475.jpg

anniepoks
04-30-2010, 8:46 PM
Blue painters tape would work even better because it wouldn't leave ANY residue.

I'm a big fan of blue painters tape, it protects well. :eeps:

very true! i agree

anniepoks
04-30-2010, 8:48 PM
chrisTKHarris - is that a tow hook on right side of his front bumper? WOW!

ChrisTKHarris
04-30-2010, 8:49 PM

Yes?

tonelar
05-01-2010, 12:35 AM
now ask: why the brass deflector is needed?

so lefties can shoot ARs without getting brass in their faces

supersteve9219
05-01-2010, 1:14 AM
yea when I finished building my AR I noticed a bunch of scratches on mine when I was done, but when I wiped it with my finger it all came off, I think it was little brass chips, or at least thats what it looked like.

oni
05-01-2010, 11:50 AM
If your AR looks like it belongs in a safe then your doing something wrong.

jasonnorcal
05-01-2010, 3:53 PM
yea when I finished building my AR I noticed a bunch of scratches on mine when I was done, but when I wiped it with my finger it all came off, I think it was little brass chips, or at least thats what it looked like.

Same for me, it wiped off with a little CLP

Merc1138
05-01-2010, 4:10 PM
Now selling the brass deflector protector!

Tired of brass getting deflected by your deflector and leaving marks?

Worry no more with the brass deflector protector!

This protector is 1 square inch of polymer sheeting with a canvas string woven structure to enhance it's strength. Shooting in the rain? No problem, the brass deflector protector is water resistant as well. Also, it's non permanent, so when you need to pose your AR for pictures, it's easily removable and any sticky reside can be wiped away with a little elbow grease. We worked with the engineers at 3m for many years before getting this product refined to the point where it would be a viable solution for YOUR rifles. Plus, there was a probably a part German guy working on it, and you know the Germans make good stuff!

Plus, order now for only$29.95 and we'll include the whole roll. That's right, instead of just getting 1 square inch of the brass deflector protector, you'll get an entire roll for multiple applications.

Order yours today!
http://www.rotblotts.com/template/images/ducttape.jpg

xxINKxx
05-01-2010, 4:17 PM
If your AR looks like it belongs in a safe then your doing something wrong.

I guess most of the people who posted in the show your .223 rifle gallery are doin it wrong. Ide say 90% of the guns posted dont have a scratch on them haha ;)

telcolineman
05-01-2010, 4:17 PM

This protector is 1 square inch of polymer sheeting with a canvas string woven structure to enhance it's strength. Shooting in the rain? No problem, the brass deflector protector is water resistant as well. Also, it's non permanent, so when you need to pose your AR for pictures, it's easily removable and any sticky reside can be wiped away with a little elbow grease. We worked with the engineers at 3m for many years before getting this product refined to the point where it would be a viable solution for YOUR rifles. Plus, there was a probably a part German guy working on it, and you know the Germans make good stuff!

Plus, order now for only$29.95 and we'll include the whole roll. That's right, instead of just getting 1 square inch of the brass deflector protector, you'll get an entire roll for multiple applications.

Order yours today!

LMAO:rofl2:

nemisis1400
05-01-2010, 5:24 PM

Order yours today!

HA, I already ordered some in black-ninja-spec-ops works nicely.

jasonnorcal
05-01-2010, 5:25 PM
Brass deflector protector......hilarious. Umm....my AR doesn't have scratches yet, I don't baby it, but I don't go out of my way to F**k it up either.

05-01-2010, 7:12 PM

Why don't they just tape the whole car ?

They can drive it until they decide to sell it and the car still look like new. :p

West545
05-01-2010, 7:35 PM

Order yours today!

That's great man

ChrisTKHarris
05-01-2010, 8:31 PM
Why don't they just tape the whole car ?

They can drive it until they decide to sell it and the car still look like new. :p

Some of my friends actually have. :rofl:

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2560/3869122603_54447eb179.jpg

arfan66
05-01-2010, 8:40 PM
RT - The brass usually comes off when you wipe it with gun cleaning solvent/clp/alcohol. If you are really worried about it, use a piece of adhesive backed female (loop) velcro. One of my rifles is painted with duracoat and I didn't want it to start chipping. The velcro is more 'tacticool' vs. blue tape :)

Merc1183 will sell you a whole roll for $29.95 ;)

winxp_man
05-01-2010, 8:55 PM

Order yours today!

:Ivan:

PM sent ...........

holasrmateo
05-01-2010, 9:01 PM
Small square of black electrical tape. That way you'll be covered in the event that you fall on a live wire, and the wire contacts your rifle at the exact spot where the tape covers. Not only will it save the finish of your rifle, it could well save your LIFE. Electrical Safety is everyone's business.

I was actually going to say that black electrical tape would be the least intrusive visually and removable of the options.

1911su16b870
05-01-2010, 10:55 PM

Every scuff, mark and ding adds character to your firearm...there are many rifles, but this one is mine :D

Vinz
05-01-2010, 11:03 PM

Yes?

some tracks and/or track event holders require a tow hook front and rear. Nice, Butttonwillow?

back on track, my buddy uses steel cased and he had chunked all the way to aluminum on his CMMG. He wished he had thought about the electrical tape trick earlier...I think it adds character.

vinz

RT13
05-02-2010, 2:34 AM
RT - The brass usually comes off when you wipe it with gun cleaning solvent/clp/alcohol. If you are really worried about it, use a piece of adhesive backed female (loop) velcro. One of my rifles is painted with duracoat and I didn't want it to start chipping. The velcro is more 'tacticool' vs. blue tape :)

Merc1183 will sell you a whole roll for $29.95 ;)

After a hundred rounds it scuffed it pretty good. Close to the edge is a pretty good wear mark. Tried oiling and wiping but its almost worn off some of the finish. No worries. I don't baby my rifles too much anyway. It's just like when you have a new car. You don't want any dings or scratches but after the first one it's like, whatever.

BTW I have that deflector protector in my garage right now and it's in black to match the rifle.;) Duct tape has strong adhesive. Electtrical tape or painter's tape sound good.