View Full Version : Yugo M76 8mm Sniper feedback...

Bill Reid
04-30-2010, 4:04 PM
Anybody have one? Like it? Looking into getting one but would like some feedback on the current import offering... as well as the 7.92X57 round. I guess Century Arms is supplying the American market but I sure wouldn't mind a kit... assuming parts can be obtained to complete it. I can get a complete rifle for $1200 from J&G but got to buy the scope with it. I have a POSP 8X42 scope that might be a nice addition...

04-30-2010, 7:44 PM
I can't speak to the rifle, but I'm definitely a fan of 8mm mauser (7.92x57). It's a lot like .30-06, except cheap! :). In my opinion, it's very under-appreciated as a sporting round in the U.S. You can find Yugo-surplus ammo in sealed cans for around 25 cents per round, that's about as cheap as it gets for centerfire these days (it is corrosive though, so make sure you clean quickly and thoroughly after shooting). There is also quality, factory hunting ammo from major manufacturers. Definitely one of my top 5 favorite chamberings!

04-30-2010, 7:52 PM
Seems like it would be pretty hard to get you hands on a cali legal one, unless it went to a middle man who removed the FH and installed a BB.

Bill Reid
04-30-2010, 8:14 PM
I guess ORF has kits, milled receivers, and barrels... wonder if anybody has put one together (?).

04-30-2010, 8:17 PM
Seems like it would be pretty hard to get you hands on a cali legal one, unless it went to a middle man who removed the FH and installed a BB.

Why would you need to remove the flash hider? Unless you install a Kydex grip to make it featureless, FH is good to go.

04-30-2010, 9:56 PM
I have been very interested in one for a while now, but the cost is keeping me away. You should be able to easily modify one to Kali-legal status with a Solar-Tactical magazine lock/bullet button.

From what I have learned, they are a fairly capable rifle in the 1-2 MOA range with good ammo. You might be able to get sub MOA if you found some great ammo or hand loaded it. They utilize the PSO-1 sight like the Dragunov which is lacking by modern Western standards but functional. I have read that some of the ones made by Century have had "issues" but they were mostly limited to the early ones.

As far as the 8mm round goes, it is fairly comparable to the .30-06. Typical loading are 180 gr. Out of a Mauser rifle it has a pretty good kick but the gas system on the M76 absorbs a fair amount of it. One good thing here is that you can still get relatively cheap 8mm ammo out there. Just be careful as most of the cheap 8mm is corrosive and Yugo guns are NOT chrome lined!

If you do get one, please post some photos. They are beautiful rifles and quite unique.

04-30-2010, 11:12 PM
Prices of the M76 have come done quite dramatically within the past 2 or 3 years. M76s used to be $2200+, and parts kits were $1200 - $1400 a kit.

I do really enjoy shooting 8mm, so a M76 is on my list.