PDA

View Full Version : Best ar-15 lower build tutorial on line?

gunnery
04-30-2010, 2:27 PM
Any opinions on whether there is a superior tutorial for ar-15
lower build on the net?
Also, any particular bullet button better than another?
Thanks for any info.

Acorn556
04-30-2010, 2:43 PM
http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=4&t=226782

It's not difficult at all. If you have the basic tools listed here and about an hours time for your first one you'll be fine. After the first one you'll think it was WAY easier than your imagining right now. It's literally plug and play. You'll probably put it together the first time like I did, wondering if it really goes that way or if it's really suppose to look like this. The answer is yes.

Koolpsych
04-30-2010, 3:11 PM
I also used the ar15 forums guide and was able to put together the OLL easily. Trickiest part is putting in the detent springs, just make sure you have something ready to catch the spring when it shoots out!

Glock21sfsd
04-30-2010, 3:30 PM
I thought Brownells has a good video series

CHS
04-30-2010, 3:53 PM
Just don't forget to put the hammer spring in correctly! Otherwise you'll end up spending $30 on KNS antiwalk/antirotation pins that you don't need :)

tomd1584
04-30-2010, 4:31 PM
Just don't forget to put the hammer spring in correctly! Otherwise you'll end up spending $30 on KNS antiwalk/antirotation pins that you don't need :)

Come on! those guys who swore that their pins kept walking out, yet assured us that the hammer spring was installed correctly NEEDED THEM!

:cool:

ScorpioVI
04-30-2010, 5:00 PM
Easy peasy...

iA_Vkb2UB1w

jq4KfUaVp8M

gemini1
04-30-2010, 8:23 PM
Come on! those guys who swore that their pins kept walking out, yet assured us that the hammer spring was installed correctly NEEDED THEM!

:cool:

I dont. Over a thousand rounds and still functions perfectly. :)

TenSeven
04-30-2010, 8:48 PM
I also used the ar15 forums guide and was able to put together the OLL easily. Trickiest part is putting in the detent springs, just make sure you have something ready to catch the spring when it shoots out!

I also used the guide on arf.com, but the one here on CGN looks great too.

When I was installing the small detent springs I put the lower and spring parts inside a big plastic bag (the kind your dry cleaned clothes come wrapped in) and am really glad I did.

The spring slipped twice and would certainly have lost itself somewhere in my garage, but the bag caught it and held it right there.

Shaker
04-30-2010, 9:16 PM
+1 to ScorpioVI comment. I followed the videos as I built my first lower this month. Piece of cake!
Make sure to take a drill bit and de-bur every hole before your build. Makes a big difference. Good luck!

toaster
04-30-2010, 9:33 PM
http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=4&t=226782

That's what I used when I assembled my first stripped lower.

stitchnicklas
04-30-2010, 10:14 PM
the cal-guns tutourial is awesome i used it tonight without any problems..