PDA

View Full Version : LEO's and the roster

ROCKILLER
04-30-2010, 11:29 AM
So I have been doing a lot of reading trying to figure out the easiest and most cost effective way to get a Walther PPS. I know a LEO can purchase one from an FFL without a letter from their dept and then PPT it. My question is what about a retired LEO? Can they still purchase off roster handguns?

Also, what about someone who is a Probation Officer? They are a peace officer, have a badge, etc, but they dont carry a firearm while working.

Librarian
04-30-2010, 11:45 AM
Retired LEO, no. No current department ID.

Don't know about probation - my initial, un-supported suspicion is 'probably not', but I may be wrong.

Remember, don't try to reason to the conclusions you get about the Roster - it isn't meant to be reasonable from a gun-centric point of view.

marcus_bervus
04-30-2010, 11:47 AM
anyone notice there are less guns on the current ROSTER!

Unit74
04-30-2010, 11:52 AM
So I have been doing a lot of reading trying to figure out the easiest and most cost effective way to get a Walther PPS. I know a LEO can purchase one from an FFL without a letter from their dept and then PPT it. My question is what about a retired LEO? Can they still purchase off roster handguns?

Also, what about someone who is a Probation Officer? They are a peace officer, have a badge, etc, but they dont carry a firearm while working.

Any person defined as a Peace Officer in the PC can buy off roster.

raw24
04-30-2010, 12:08 PM
Do you have a Parent or Grand Parent that lives out of CA? If so have them buy one in there state and then give it to you as a Birthday/Christmas gift.
They would have to send it to a FFL here in CA, for it to be DROS'd to you, but it would be roster exempt.

Old4eyes
04-30-2010, 12:33 PM
Yes, and I've noticed that California is not a firearm friendly state?
Take a look at the difference in size of the Guns just added and the Guns Removed lists, and you'll see that the removed list is much larger (although that is partially because they keep the guns of the Removed list on much longer than the Recently added.

I have got to start scoping out a place outside of California to retire.

fishhoppa
04-30-2010, 2:23 PM
Is my understanding of off roster ownership/purchase correct for the following:

A CA LEO purchases a HK p30 (not on CA DOJ roster) and decides to sell it after a few months of use. I live in CA but am not an LEO, however I would be able to purchase this firearm from him through PPT legally?

Thanks,

Cyc Wid It
04-30-2010, 2:26 PM
You can buy any off-list gun through PPT.

fishhoppa
04-30-2010, 2:55 PM
So I can purchase a used HK P30 through PPT as long as the magazine doesn't exceed the 10 rd capacity requirement without having to worry about breaking a CA law?? That would be awesome!

Cyc Wid It
04-30-2010, 2:59 PM
Yeah. And you can purchase the > 10 round magazines disassembled if you want to save for out of state use.

raw24
04-30-2010, 3:04 PM
You can buy any off-list gun through PPT.

Be careful this statement is not true,
You can only PPT off-list guns if they are leagal in CA.
The word any is to broad. For example: The Taurus Judge is a off-list hand gun, but is not leagal in CA. Therefore PPT for a Judge in a no go.
Most guns will be GTG but check the PC first.

SixPointEight
04-30-2010, 3:07 PM
Be careful this statement is not entirely true,
You can only PPT off-list guns if they are Otherwise legal in CA.
The word any is to broad. For example: The Taurus Judge is a off-list hand gun, but is not leagal in CA. Therefore PPT for a Judge in a no go.
Most guns will be GTG but check the PC first.

Fixed again. If it's not on the roster, and doesn't have properties that make it an AW pistol, or a SBS like the Judge it is good to go.

Cyc Wid It
04-30-2010, 3:11 PM
Yeah good call. I forgot about those types of things. Taurus Judges, suppressed stuff, etc. etc. Guess I've just given up on ever owning anything like that already.

fishhoppa
04-30-2010, 3:13 PM
How do I find out whether or not an off-roster gun is considered legal in CA? Thanks

SixPointEight
04-30-2010, 3:15 PM
How do I find out whether or not an off-roster gun is considered legal in CA? Thanks

This would be a good place to start:
http://www.calguns.net/caawid/hgflowchart.pdf

fishhoppa
04-30-2010, 3:25 PM
Thanks for the guidance!

Evo
04-30-2010, 3:33 PM
Do you have a Parent or Grand Parent that lives out of CA? If so have them buy one in there state and then give it to you as a Birthday/Christmas gift.
They would have to send it to a FFL here in CA, for it to be DROS'd to you, but it would be roster exempt.

I'm currently out of state and was legally given an off list (but not evil) pistol by a friend. If I understand this correctly I can send it to my father as a gift and then it would be legal in CA as long as he files a "REPORT OF OPERATION OF LAW OR INTRA-FAMILIAL HANDGUN TRANSACTION" form and pays his $19.

Does anyone see a problem with this? When I want to shoo the gun I'll just borrow it from my father temporarily.

raw24
04-30-2010, 3:41 PM
I'm currently out of state and was legally given an off list (but not evil) pistol by a friend. If I understand this correctly I can send it to my father as a gift and then it would be legal in CA as long as he files a "REPORT OF OPERATION OF LAW OR INTRA-FAMILIAL HANDGUN TRANSACTION" form and pays his $19.

Does anyone see a problem with this? When I want to shoo the gun I'll just borrow it from my father temporarily.

NO,
It has to go through a FFL, This is a Federal law not a CA law.
If you move to CA, then you could give it to him.

See this Post/Link:
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?p=4166133

Saym14
04-30-2010, 3:50 PM

thats thier point. soon there will be none.

cyclenut
04-30-2010, 4:32 PM
So if a LEO PPT'd a gun to you with 12+round mags. You would only be able to use them out of state? Or rebuild them?

biglou
04-30-2010, 5:14 PM
He can only give you 10 round mags with the handgun. If over 10 rounds they have to be taken apart to be used for rebuilding preban mags.