View Full Version : Choosing ammo for a new rifle.

04-30-2010, 11:23 AM
Hey Folks, Im new to shooting and was looking for some tips and advice. Im getting a .308 Bolt action rifle (http://tinyurl.com/2e2tud6 ) Model 11 FXP3. I've bought 60 rounds of Winchester ammo but am looking online at a cheap source of rounds for practice (Im new to rifle shooting) But im confused with the many different types of .308 ( .308 NATO, 7.62x51 NATO, .308 Marlin etc) Just what works in my new rifle. Also when Im just starting is it ok to use cheap reloads or should I try to aim for the nicer stuff. Thanks alot for the help. Hope to see some of you out at the ranges sometime. Oh and I can get it out of Jail in 4 days! Woho.

04-30-2010, 1:23 PM
you can use .308 Win or 7.62x51 Nato ONLY in that rifle.
As for ammo run what ever you like or can find cheap just stay away from corrosive ammo IMO
If you want to get the good stuff get Winchester Supreme or Black Hills or Hornady can kinda pricy tho
Stay cheap if your just plinking.....the more you can shoot the more fun =)

04-30-2010, 1:33 PM
Only shoot reloads,If there from a reputadble company. Or your own.

04-30-2010, 1:56 PM
I also try to use name brand ammo, winchester, remington, etc not a big fan of reloads.

04-30-2010, 2:36 PM
Thanks for the info. Now that I know for sure I can start trying to find some reloads or cheap .308 win or 7.62x51 NATO rounds for target shooting.

04-30-2010, 4:55 PM
If you're new to the gun and trying to sight in your scope, you might try to get some quality match grade ammo in .308 win. like Hornady, Black Hills, or federal match just so you can make sure that your rifle and scope are working right. If you start shooting with cheap 7.62 nato or budget factory cartridges, you can't be sure that your scope is holding zero. If you take the ammo out of the equation, you can be sure that your scope and rifle are working correctly. Just a thought.