PDA

View Full Version : SU16CA today!

opsgtr
03-02-2006, 8:01 PM
Picked up my SU16CA and all the parts I ordered for it from 3 differnt vendors showed up at the same time from UPS! Good thing I took the day off from work, just for this reason. I"ll tell ya one thing, the Kel Tec compact forend was a b*tch to install - I cursed that thing out louder than a NYC cabbie! And the damned thing bit me, too! But I won out in the end. I'm still working on some more mods, so I'll post some pics when I'm done.

By the way, has anyone installed a muzzle break on their SU16? I can't seem to get the break to line up the way the instructions say - if I tighten it any further, it feels like it will bust off the threads...

Oh, yeah, and I also DROS'd my very first stripped lower today (Lauer).
You guys are a bad influence;)

Dont Tread on Me
03-02-2006, 8:10 PM
If it makes you feel any better, I had trouble getting the compact fore end on. I then went to install the sling kit which forced me to take it off again:-) It is easier the second time.

Enjoy your rifle. I love mine.

EDIT: I don't want to put anybody off he rifle or the compact fore end. It is tough to get on but only 30 mins of fustration as you figure out how it works from the not too good instructions. Once you know how to do it, it is much easier. The tricky part is keeping the two plastic halves seated together while sliding on all the holding rings.

11Z50
03-02-2006, 8:18 PM
I had a @#$%^&*()_ of a time with my compact forend. I had to dremel the gas tube channel to get it to fit at all. PITA! But, now all is good, it works just fine. The cheesy bipod had to go. I shot it sans forend for awhile and that was just fine. The compact forend does look cool once you get the damn thing on.

(11Z50 smiles as he seats another pre-ban 30-rd mag in his B-model)

Shoot on boys!

Mr.RoDiN
03-02-2006, 8:43 PM
Hey I guys. Im thinking about buying a Su 16 Ca as well. Is it really that difficult to install the forend? Is there any risk of damaging the barrel? I have heard you can not re install the barrel. I called kel tec directly once and they confirmed. Did you get the barrel factory direct? Also would it be legal to pin the SU 16 C stock open so it may not fold, then install it on a CA? I just think that stock looks cooler. Have you seen the pistol they came out with and only for $550. I am in the wrong state!!!!

AggregatVier
03-02-2006, 9:08 PM
1) Take your time and SLOWLY grind the forend so it fits perfectly without wobbling.

2) I gave up on the using either crush or peel washers with the SU16CA. I bought some 1/2-28 panel nuts, blued them, and then used them like jam nuts to lock the muzzle brake in the right position.

3) To keep from throwing off the gun's balance by putting some monster optic on the top, I used a Zeiss Z-point - just the right size. The forend got a lightweight Insight light/laser unit.

4) I thought this would be the perfect, light, "cute" little rifle to get the wife started but NO she had to get that day'm grin first time she held the AR-15.

It never ends - does it?

Mr.RoDiN
03-02-2006, 9:11 PM
wow i didnt know there was that much to it. I am more of a plug and play type of guy myself. I guess i would have to have someone install it for me.:)

11Z50
03-02-2006, 9:26 PM
Now that I have the SU squared away and zero'd, the big problem is keeping the 14-year old from burning my ammo supply up. He now mows the yard and even does dishes for a chance to blast. :) with the SU. Worth twice the price for me.

ohsmily
03-02-2006, 10:10 PM
By the way, has anyone installed a muzzle break on their SU16? I can't seem to get the break to line up the way the instructions say - if I tighten it any further, it feels like it will bust off the threads...

If it is a "timed" muzzle BRAKE (NOT BREAK) which needs to be aligned a certain way, then you need a crush washer or spacer to have it timed right (unless you get really luck with alignment, which it sounds like you aren't)

Equalizer
03-03-2006, 7:08 AM
Price check here I live in the bay area and the prices I am getting are from $680 to $710 and you have to order, not in stock anywhere.
Bill

Cazach
03-03-2006, 7:21 AM
Mr. Rodin,

It is not so much that is hard to do the swap, but it is a combination of poorly written instructions and a need for a third hand.

Previous posters were right though, once you have done it once, it gets much easier.

With regards to the barrel, there was someone on the KTOG board who converted his SU to another caliber (6.5 or 6.8) with some fairly detailed pictures of the process. Although not for the faint of heart, the barrel can be removed/replaced.

YMMV.

bu-bye
03-03-2006, 8:15 AM
Price check here I live in the bay area and the prices I am getting are from $680 to $710 and you have to order, not in stock anywhere.
Bill

WAYYYYYYY to high! At Markley's they are selling one for $575 and I know they mark everything up 20%.

Yup the Fore end was a pain in the rear to install the first time. Took about 45min for me with no dremel needed. The second time took my a few min. Its not that its hard to do its just the instructions suck eggs. A step by step with pictures would have been a life saver. I really do like it though and I'd buy it again and install it 100 times rather then keep the bi-pod.

crs1
03-03-2006, 8:42 AM
Picked up my SU16CA and all the parts I ordered for it from 3 differnt vendors showed up at the same time from UPS! Good thing I took the day off from work, just for this reason. I"ll tell ya one thing, the Kel Tec compact forend was a b*tch to install - I cursed that thing out louder than a NYC cabbie! And the damned thing bit me, too! But I won out in the end. I'm still working on some more mods, so I'll post some pics when I'm done.

When I installed the forend for mine, I finished it, then forgot to put the sling swivel stud on:mad:

Had to do the whole thing again....Looks sooooo much cooler though:)

Dont Tread on Me
03-03-2006, 9:11 AM
Equalizer - I has the same experiance. The CA does not sit in stores for very long and I think we are being charged a lot for one (check out gun broker.com better prices).

I got lucky at Reeds on Alum Rock. Targetmasters also tends to have them on and off.

grammaton76
03-03-2006, 10:33 AM
Bill

I'd check www.impactguns.com, they usually have 'em for $505. You would still have to order, but transfer charges sound like it'd be cheaper than what you're looking at paying.

Mr.RoDiN
03-03-2006, 10:42 AM
Hey caz thanks for the advice. Also impactguns had it for like 519.99 last i checked.

Egan
03-03-2006, 10:48 AM
Bill

I paid $569 for mine up here in Sacramento and I felt that was a bit high. But this was the only shop that was able/willing to order them and I wanted it. ;)

When I placed the order, the guy checked with Kel-Tec and confirmed two were already on the way to them. I got one and the other was sold before I finished my paperwork. My 10 days are up tomorrow at 11:43AM. :)

CaliTheKid
03-03-2006, 11:19 AM
I've enjoyed mine with the exception that I had some extractor issues that I remedied by swapping out the Keltec extractor/spring set with a Bushmaster one. So far it's run flawlessly since the swap! I think the extractor is the weak point on this rifle.

smguser
03-04-2006, 6:15 PM
I just got an SU16-CA. I put an old USGI 30 round magazine in the stock, and it takes a screwdriver to remove it. I can't pull it out with my hands. I put it in so the rounds point into the stock. That's the only way I could get it in. Any ideas what going on? Thanks!

SkyStorm82
03-04-2006, 10:40 PM
I just got an SU16-CA. I put an old USGI 30 round magazine in the stock, and it takes a screwdriver to remove it. I can't pull it out with my hands. I put it in so the rounds point into the stock. That's the only way I could get it in. Any ideas what going on? Thanks!

You did what?!?!?

smguser
03-05-2006, 6:45 AM
You did what?!?!?

The rifle has a spot to put either the two 10 round mags in the stock, or one 30 round mag. Once I put the 30 round mag in the holder, it's very hard to remove.

grammaton76
03-05-2006, 9:30 PM

Aha. Here's how I do it:

Lips of magazine face the bottom of the stock. Bullet tips point AWAY from the stock. Push it in, then lock the bottom of the mag in place.

It sounds like you inserted it backwards...

It's more intuitive to load it your way, since it's a little awkward to spin the thing around after removing it, prior to insertion. But, that's the way it fits.

Popping the mag from the stock and inserting it into the weapon is actually fairly fast once you practice it some.

biff
03-05-2006, 9:41 PM
How accurate is the SU-16? I've read very mixed reviews of it.

grammaton76
03-05-2006, 9:53 PM
How accurate is the SU-16? I've read very mixed reviews of it.

Works fine for me, but I've only ever shot it at a 25yd indoor range. Its irons were WAY off, from the factory - I'm still working on left/right but elevation seems fine.

CaliTheKid
03-05-2006, 10:21 PM
Same here-- irons were REALLY off and a pain to zero.

SkyStorm82
03-06-2006, 12:02 AM
The rifle has a spot to put either the two 10 round mags in the stock, or one 30 round mag. Once I put the 30 round mag in the holder, it's very hard to remove.

HAHA...I read your post wrong. Guess I was really tired last night. I thought you inserted the magazine in the magazine well backwards somehow.

Sorry man.;)

smguser
03-06-2006, 7:09 AM
Thanks Grammaton76, I'll give that a try. It's amazing how easy the Kel-tec mags fall out, and the USGI one was so hard to get out.

SkyStorm82, I guess I could have been clearer in my post, but you know how that goes.... hindsight and all....