PDA

View Full Version : Open Carry Question

Arias
04-30-2010, 8:20 AM
12026 (a) states that one can carry at their home or business, I happen to manage a storage facility, and I live on site. To my understanding I fit into both categories, my next question is whether it has to be open or concealed?

MrClamperSir
04-30-2010, 8:33 AM
At the home means in the home or on the property that cannot be accessed by the public. AFAIR if the public has access to the property you need the property/business owners permission if you want to carry during business hours.

paul0660
04-30-2010, 8:40 AM
12031 says this:

(h) Nothing in this section shall prevent any person engaged in
any lawful business, including a nonprofit organization, or any
officer, employee, or agent authorized by that person for lawful
purposes connected with that business, from having a loaded firearm
within the person's place of business, or any person in lawful
possession of private property from having a loaded firearm on that
property.

So yes, you do need permission from the owner. Also, if the facility does NOT have a gate, I would suggest it is a public place, and that you could not carry outside your personal premises other than UOC.

AK_Guy
04-30-2010, 9:18 AM
To piggy-back on this topic, I have a tweaker living up the hill from me who's back yard connects to mine...we have a restraining order on him for coming down with rocks to throw at our house, baseball bats to pound on our door, etc., and have since installed a chain link fence (at my expense) to keep him out (yeah, I know - why am *I* paying for this???).

Anyway, I assume it would be ok for me to carry if I were to go up toward the back of my property to clear brush and the like, as long as I was on my property and inside the fence?

Sorry for the highjack!

Librarian
04-30-2010, 9:29 AM
To piggy-back on this topic, I have a tweaker living up the hill from me who's back yard connects to mine...we have a restraining order on him for coming down with rocks to throw at our house, baseball bats to pound on our door, etc., and have since installed a chain link fence (at my expense) to keep him out (yeah, I know - why am *I* paying for this???).

Anyway, I assume it would be ok for me to carry if I were to go up toward the back of my property to clear brush and the like, as long as I was on my property and inside the fence?

Sorry for the highjack!

That's the way the law reads, so you should be OK.

Bring your cell phone, too.

I hope I'm being overly negative, but that sounds like a Bad Thing waiting to happen. I hope your neighbor just stays away.

paul0660
04-30-2010, 9:33 AM
you should be OK.

Bring your cell phone, too.

And make sure you can use the camera function. If he gets closer than the proscribed distance, take a pic and call the law.

He probably isn't worth shooting any other way.

AK_Guy
04-30-2010, 10:00 AM
I hope I'm being overly negative, but that sounds like a Bad Thing waiting to happen. I hope your neighbor just stays away.

His parents have kept him away from the property line for the last year (they believe the "I'm bi-polar"-story he's been feeding them for 40 years, and don't know why we don't love their little precious speed-freak) and I have about 2 more years on the restraining order (100 yards distance at all times)...I can handle myself pretty well, but being 40+, I'd rather just drop him as I'm too old for a fist-fight...

More likely than not, I'll tote pepper spray and a camera, but I just wanted to know my rights, thanks guys!