PDA

View Full Version : nfa weapons to foreign entities

pullnshoot25
04-30-2010, 8:52 AM
Is it legal for a foreign law enforcement official to legally purchase any firearm, including nfa weapons, from an appropriate ffl? I am thinking no but i am not sure.

Big Jake
04-30-2010, 8:56 AM
Most likely they would purchase them through their own countries. I know that El-Al airlines has armed security agents at LAX and the agents have permission from the State Dept. to have weapons!

dustoff31
04-30-2010, 9:06 AM
Is it legal for a foreign law enforcement official to legally purchase any firearm, including nfa weapons, from an appropriate ffl? I am thinking no but i am not sure.

Just to walk in and buy it as an individual? I don't think so. For one thing, he would have to be a US citizen or permanent resident. And of course for NFA items he'd need a Form 4.

As Big Jake pointed out, allowances are made for diplomatic and foreign security people, but those are handled through the Dept of State, and I would suspect that "title" to the guns is held by that foreign country.

gose
04-30-2010, 9:12 AM
Yes, depending on the organization they can pretty much purchase/possess whatever they want, as long as they have all their papers in order.

Most likely they'll bring their own though.

CSACANNONEER
04-30-2010, 9:45 AM
Of course it is. There are strict export laws but, it is commonly done. I've spoken with several foreign military and LEOs at past SHOT shows. They come for the same reasons anyone else comes. They make contacts, order equipment, etc. I have a patch and bussiness card that a police officer from Europe gave me at SHOT '08. It'll be my get out of jail free card if I ever decide to visit his eastern block country.

I had a friend turn down a +/- $100K order (a lot for a sole proprietor to turn down) because, he had a funny feeling about it. Everything would have gone through proper channels but, he still thought that as soon as his product got out of this country, it was going to be diverted.

motorhead
04-30-2010, 9:50 AM
export permit. any firearm leaving the country reqires. BF trouble without.

stag1500
04-30-2010, 9:55 AM
When I was filling out my application for a Florida CCW, one of the questions on there was asking if the applicant is with a foreign delegation or consulate. I guess diplomatic immunity doesn't apply to everybody connected with a foreign delegation.

ojisan
04-30-2010, 9:56 AM
I had a friend turn down a +/- $100K order (a lot for a sole proprietor to turn down) because, he had a funny feeling about it. Everything would have gone through proper channels but, he still thought that as soon as his product got out of this country, it was going to be diverted.

When the export request is submitted, The State Dep't will check and approve the freight carrier and end-user. If the carrier or end-user is not approved, the export will not be allowed.

pullnshoot25
04-30-2010, 10:09 AM
How much paperwork is required for a foreign agent to purchase such a firearm?

Purely scholastic questions, btw.

Brianguy
04-30-2010, 11:29 AM
Most likely they would purchase them through their own countries. I know that El-Al airlines has armed security agents at LAX and the agents have permission from the State Dept. to have weapons!

They try to take away citizens firearms but it's ok to let foreign agents carry in our country to guard a terminal in an already heavily guarded area?!