PDA

View Full Version : Boot issue with an ASUS eee PC 900HA

Bobula
04-30-2010, 7:09 AM
My netbook won't boot. Worked fine last night. Won't boot today. I can hear the fans come on, but nothing. Not even bios. There's no beeping sound. But I do have a solid blue (far right), solid yellow (far left) and flashing red (next to yellow) on the 4 light display. I don't know where to start on this issue. For the time being my blackberry will be my only internet source. Any ideas?

lazyworm
04-30-2010, 7:19 AM
I'm not familiar with this netbook model. Generally, these are the things
that I'd try

* turn it on as usual but leave it alone for a good 10 min
* remove battery, plug in charger and try again -- in case there
is a short somewhere with the battery or charging circuit
* use compress air blow everything out and try again -- dust bunnies
are not cute
* reseat memory and try again
* plug in an external monitor/lcd and try again -- in case your screen
is the problem.

Dagdason
04-30-2010, 8:19 AM
Here's a trick with all laptops that I try. Pop battery and disconnect all power sources. Leave it for 10 minutes. Then without reconnecting the power, press and hold the power ON button as if you were trying to get it to start. OF course nothing will happen.

Reconnect battery, then power. See if the charge light for the battery comes on. If it does come on, then try to power it up.

If the charge light does not come on, then remove the battery and check to see if it has a charge indicator on it. This indicator has a small touch pad like button near a few leds. If you press and hold it should light up to indicate if the battery is charged or bad.

If the battery is bad, leave it out of the computer and plug in your power and see if you can power up the laptop

Also check the AC power supply/converter to see if there is an LED that indicates power moving through the converter. If not, you need a new power cord.

Good Luck

JDay
04-30-2010, 10:51 AM
Pull the battery and see if it resets, if that doesn't work it could be the LCD inverter.

Bobula
04-30-2010, 4:25 PM
Where would I even go to get a lcd inverter fixed

Pyrodyne
04-30-2010, 7:48 PM
Where would I even go to get a lcd inverter fixed

Most repair shops should be capable. Inverters are typically low cost, below $30. If it's just a screen issue, take a strong light and pan it around the screen. If you can see your screen faintly, it's the backlight. Netbooks are pretty cheap, generally I don't recommend major repairs for them. If your model is still available, you can just get another and keep it around for spare parts.

Bobula
05-02-2010, 9:39 PM
I got lucky, asus is going to warranty it.

Bobula
05-07-2010, 7:36 PM
Well I got it back today. Nothing was written in the repairs section. It works, and all the data is intact. I called asus and they wouldn't tell me what was repaired...

bsg
05-15-2010, 8:37 AM
sometimes my computer won't go up and upon inspection... i find a connection has been disconnected while dusting; i am so high tech....

-Brady