PDA

View Full Version : If you obtain a CCW, can you CC in other counties as well?

firearmenthusiast
04-30-2010, 5:24 AM
I have heard that Kern and San Bernardino are much more lax in issuing permits than counties like Los Angeles or Sacramento. If one's main home is in a more issue friendly area and is able to obtain a CCW, can they also go into other counties for extended periods of time? I ask this because I know lots of people who do business throughout California and usually are not home that often. Thanks!

Bill_in_SD
04-30-2010, 5:33 AM
This license is a state-wide permit controlled locally. (One of my big issues with the current system - should be like a driver's license, run by a state level entiity)

So you could even carry in San Fran or downtown L.A. if you have a permit, barring any restriction put on the permit.

firearmenthusiast
04-30-2010, 5:37 AM
Gotcha, thanks for the response Bill!

1_Grendel
04-30-2010, 6:52 AM
It is a great feeling walking through those very restrictive cities/counties and CCWing. (kind of like saying FU to the local restrictive City/County Sheriff and/or elected officials)

It sucks for those residences within those restrictive cities/counties, to think that i can walk down there home street legally CCW but the resident of that very restrictive city/county can not.

Havoc70
04-30-2010, 7:28 AM
It is a great feeling walking through those very restrictive cities/counties and CCWing. (kind of like saying FU to the local restrictive City/County Sheriff and/or elected officials)

It sucks for those residences within those restrictive cities/counties, to think that i can walk down there home street legally CCW but the resident of that very restrictive city/county can not.

See, this to me is what makes the whole CCW process in California unconstitutional under the 14th Amendment's equal protection clause. Why is it that I, as a Solano County resident and specifically a Vallejo resident, cannot conceivably receive a CCW while someone from another county can obtain a permit and carry it in the very areas where I am de facto prohibited. It seems to me that the CCW process in CA is "separate but equal" all over again, where it is truly separate, but it's a far cry from equal.

firearmenthusiast
04-30-2010, 7:47 AM
See, this to me is what makes the whole CCW process in California unconstitutional under the 14th Amendment's equal protection clause. Why is it that I, as a Solano County resident and specifically a Vallejo resident, cannot conceivably receive a CCW while someone from another county can obtain a permit and carry it in the very areas where I am de facto prohibited. It seems to me that the CCW process in CA is "separate but equal" all over again, where it is truly separate, but it's a far cry from equal.

Exactly, if you dig deep into California's history, you will see that the original intention of the CCW may issue clause, left at the discretion of the sheriff, was created to prevent minorities, mostly latinos, blacks, and the chinese from carrying their firearms around. This racism was recently actually acknowledged and apologized for by several politicians, and believe it or not, Saldana was one of them. The original intentions were to keep firearms out of the hands of minorities yet how it plays out 90 years into the future is that you have decisions based not so much on your race now, but on where you live. It's really interesting and disturbing how one law has morphed to a whole different purpose.

winnre
04-30-2010, 10:17 AM
I live in San Bernardino County. Anyone wish to rent out my upstairs bedroom? ;)

showerbabies
04-30-2010, 7:06 PM
Could I be a resident if I had PObox within that county?

CSDGuy
04-30-2010, 7:15 PM
Could I be a resident if I had PObox within that county?
Kind of difficult to live inside a PO Box...

Librarian
04-30-2010, 11:57 PM
Kind of difficult to live inside a PO Box...

And generally the issuing authorities do check this - it would be a Bad Thing to lie to the Authorities. They tend to get Annoyed.

FirstFlight
05-01-2010, 11:40 AM
Most counties will require a drivers license with an address in that county on it, voters registration from that address, utility bills from that address, and if the Sheriff has any doubts he will drive by to say hello, and maybe talk to the neighbors about you.

SgtDinosaur
05-01-2010, 1:42 PM

Right on. And as a resident of Vallejo you need one a heck of a lot more than some of the people who have them. Of course, you probably know what most of us do here.

Are you moving to Baton Rouge? Nice city. I've been through there many times. Not far from my father's ancestral hometown.