PDA

View Full Version : Beretta 92fs or Glock 17

kmdesigns
04-29-2010, 11:49 PM
So I'm up for a new 9mm and I'm kinda torn. I know both are super reliable and the shop offered me a great price on the Beretta, so price is very close. So far I'm leaning more toward the Beretta. I wanted to see what thoughts and opinions you guys had.

haveyourmile
04-30-2010, 12:03 AM
Depends, what will the guns primary purpose be?

kmdesigns
04-30-2010, 12:12 AM
Recreation/home defense

hybridatsun350
04-30-2010, 12:16 AM
Glock 17. I really like both guns and own both guns, but would have to choose the Glock if it really came down to it. Beretta's are just not as reliable. It's a simple fact.

Quiet
04-30-2010, 12:17 AM
Another vote for the Glock 17.
Majority of my experience with the Beretta Model 92F has been bad.

Butokan
04-30-2010, 1:17 AM
Get what fits your hand, and what you feel comfortable shooting. I suggest you rent them both and see what fits you the best.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ue8_uN0OIVs

jdewolf
04-30-2010, 3:19 AM
Rent both and see which you like better.

For me the 92 just didn't feel right in hand. I don't know quite else how to describe it. The G17 was my baby and the one I took home. P226 was a close 2nd place.

Greg-Dawg
04-30-2010, 4:00 AM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v171/Gregdog/Pin%20Ups/G17Gen43006.jpg

Because I have one.

Regulus
04-30-2010, 4:49 AM
Glock 17. I really like both guns and own both guns, but would have to choose the Glock if it really came down to it. Beretta's are just not as reliable. It's a simple fact.

Since we are making up facts, here is mine... My 20+ year old beater 92fs with more rounds through it than I had the patience to count has never once failed in any way. It's a fact that this has been more reliable that any Glock I've ever fired.

http://yahnet.net/images/ber/Ber92_1.jpg

OP, go handle them both (if you haven't yet) and see which one fits best. My monster hands required the fatter rubber grips panels to make it right for me.

choprzrul
04-30-2010, 5:25 AM
I also have a 20 year old 92fs that just keeps going and going and going.... Seriously, go shoot a box of 50 through each and then compare targets. 1 will emerge as the gun that fits you the best and that you shoot the best. Then you will have your answer.

VictorFranko
04-30-2010, 5:34 AM
Since we are making up facts, here is mine... My 20+ year old beater 92fs with more rounds through it than I had the patience to count has never once failed in any way. It's a fact that this has been more reliable that any Glock I've ever fired.

regulus is comparing a gun he has owned for 20+ years to a gun he has fired?
I own both, a Beretta and two Glocks.
I have owned my Beretta 26+ years and it has not left the safe since I got my first Glock.
My G17 has countless thousands of rounds through it, never a problem.
Beretta is a fine firearm, but as far as a combat weapon or home defense, Glock hands down.

karl9422
04-30-2010, 6:09 AM
for me i cant shoot worth a dam with a 92fs. at first i just thought it was the ones on the ship we sure since so many rounds have went threw them and they are not takem care of very well. but now that i got my own and can compair it to my glock and xd9 i realise its just i suck shooting that gun. i m best with my xd but that is not to say this woulld work for you. my buddy shoots my 92fs and is a great shot with it.

Regulus
04-30-2010, 6:19 AM
regulus is comparing a gun he has owned for 20+ years to a gun he has fired?

It's my fact and it can be anything I want it to be. :p

My post was more to show how rediculous Datsun's fact finding was than comparing the two.

I fired a Glock once and it wasn't right for me. I didn't like anything about it. Just my opinion (fact).

Vsanzbajo
04-30-2010, 6:22 AM
Beretta 92, of course. Reliable enough for the military, reliable enough for me.

orangeusa
04-30-2010, 6:39 AM
Beretta is a fine firearm, but as far as a combat weapon or home defense, Glock hands down.

Wow, not many Glocks in the US Military..... 3.5 Million Berettas at last count...

Back to OP - rent both. They are completely different pistols. Glock is stiker fired w/ a trigger safety. Beretta "soft blowback" open slide w/ decocker/safety and an external hammer. Berettas/Sigs/Rugers have similiar 'combat style' controls.

You really need to try both to see which is best for you. Both are reliable and accurate.

But I like the Berettas, a lot.. :)

n2k
04-30-2010, 6:45 AM
Take the money you are saving from the great price on the Beretta and put it toward the Glock.

That way you get both......Done.

By the way I own both and they are both great firearms.

glockman19
04-30-2010, 7:13 AM
This is the only time I will contradict myself...Glockman19 prefers Glocks but after a 19 & 26, rather than get a 17 as my full size 9mm I decided on the Beretta 92FS INOX. It's a beautiful gun. I can't stand the trigger. but I love the gun.

localguy
04-30-2010, 7:22 AM
I like both, but prefer the glock because of the grip size. I have regular-sized hands and the grip profile of the beretta is ENORMOUS! In a stress situation I personally don't think I can handle the beretta.

In other words, try both, they are fun. :)

acourvil
04-30-2010, 7:26 AM
I have been trying to decide on a gun and tried both a stock Beretta 92fs and a stock Glock 17. I found the Glock to be lighter and overall easier to use. I did not like the long trigger travel, but the trigger pull was o.k. The Beretta was heavier, and although it fit my hand better, the trigger pull was very heavy (even on single action) and I had to concentrate on not turning my wrist. Between the two, I would have gone with a Glock 17 (actually, I probably would have gone to Glock 34, but it's the same frame). I also tried a 9mm 1911, which fit my hand better than either the Glock or the Beretta.

q3131a
04-30-2010, 7:35 AM
G17 - trigger pull consistency is what puts it on top for me.

Old4eyes
04-30-2010, 7:49 AM
This is the only time I will contradict myself...Glockman19 prefers Glocks but after a 19 & 26, rather than get a 17 as my full size 9mm I decided on the Beretta 92FS INOX. It's a beautiful gun. I can't stand the trigger. but I love the gun.

I put in a 16# Wolf main spring and the trigger pull became tolerable on my 92FS.

The 92 has a couple of things going against it:

1. Large and heavy (relative to the fantastic plastics). For a target/self defense the weight won't matter that much (it does help recoil). But the grip size is an issue, and you can't make it smaller. My wife has small hands and ends up limp wristing the gun.

2. The decocker/safety can be mistakenly engaged when sweeping the hand over the slide while racking. Check out the Beretta PX4 for an improvement in how they recessed the decocker/safety on that model.

3. Front sight is part of the slide, you want night sights, it's going to take
machining. Beretta saw the errors of their ways on the 92A1, but I don't think that will be available in California.

I've had no problems with mine. I've got larger hands so the grip size does not affect me that much. After I changed the mainspring, the double action portion became tolerable. Mine has been reliable and has shot everything I've put in it. It is very easy to rack, which is why my wife liked it.

I think the original poster needs to rent and fire both guns at the range and make a choice from there. I would suggest trying a PX4 as well if Beretta is high on the try list.

bombadillo
04-30-2010, 8:01 AM
I would say if your life is depending on it, the glock. I have seen more than one of that series of beretta fail. I really love the looks, the style, and there's something sexy about an Italian made beretta, but if my life or my wife's were behind it, it'd have to be the Glock.

tbhracing
04-30-2010, 8:17 AM
OP- I own both and here are my thoughts-

- Both good firearms and established work horses.

- The Glock 17 has a smaller grip, less parts and can run with little maint. or oil.

- The Beretta has a fatter grip, more moving parts but has been a proven work horse for over 20 years. Just look at the LAPD and LASO alone, but them up and they keep working.

- Both seem reliable and hold up very well.

- The 92FS has a safety and I am not big on those for SD/HD.

I guess if it came down to just one pistol, I would lean to the Glock as it is lighter. BUT both are winners.

Black Majik
04-30-2010, 8:22 AM
Poster #1: "Do you like apples or oranges?"

Poster #2: "My apple is the best, it is the most satisfying."

Poster #3: "I'll stick with facts, my orange has been so reliable in satisfying me that it is better than apples."

Poster #4: "Apples are every combatman's favorite fruit."

Poster #5: "Get real, real men eat oranges."

raw24
04-30-2010, 8:23 AM
My vote is for the Beretta.
I have a couple and love them, They have never failed.
Not a big fan of plastic guns, especially one without an external hammer.

C.W.M.V.
04-30-2010, 8:24 AM
Wow, not many Glocks in the US Military..... 3.5 Million Berettas at last count....

Have you ever fired one of the Army 92fs's? I went through a few because none of them could go through a single magazine without some sort of malfunction, using different guns, different mags and different ammo. The only thing we used them for was walking around on the FOB, and left our 16's in a rack. I kid you not halfway into my first tour most of us with sidearms were carrying found CZ's or Tokarev's rather than the berretta.

I wouldn't wish a beretta on my worst enemy. Its like fighting a retard with a squirt gun.

I'm a 1911 guy, that being said given the choice the OP has I would go glock. I would actually pay in order to not have a beretta.

in my humble opinion RUN AWAY FROM THE BERRETTA! RUN!!! Its a steel brick that weighs more, and is larger than, a 1911 with none of the kill power and its more expensive!

igorts
04-30-2010, 8:26 AM
i had both, sold glock 17
comparing apples and oranges.

But i plan to use 10mm glock for woods.

NEVER had any issues with Beretta, or its magazines, countless rounds.

Regulus
04-30-2010, 8:27 AM

Poster #3: "I'll stick with facts, my orange has been so reliable in satisfying me that it is better than apples."

Poster #24: "I like sour grapes."

Black Majik
04-30-2010, 8:27 AM
Poster #24: "I like sour grapes."

LOL, touche'.

tuna quesadilla
04-30-2010, 8:29 AM
They're two veerrrryyyyy different guns, and that's why you have so many people here with different opinions.

For one, the Glock is a striker-fired, DAO-style pistol, whereas the Beretta uses a DA/SA system with a manual safety. Totally different manual of arms. DA/SA is really strange when you first try it.

Also the Beretta is a very big pistol. It's big everywhere, including the grip. I love the feel of my Glock 17, and I hate the feel of the Beretta.

The Beretta does, in my experience, have a smoother trigger than the Glock. That's one thing about DA/SA pistols over striker-fired pistols; the DA/SA triggers tend to be really smooth and nice.

It's really down to which one suits you best. Go find a range that rents both (I recommend OC Indoor Range in Brea if you're in the Orange County area). Put 50 rounds through each one and see which you prefer.

GunLover
04-30-2010, 8:29 AM
I have owned 2 g17s and 2 92fs
If I could only have one it would be the glock. Its just plain tough to beat for all around gun.

teflondog
04-30-2010, 8:33 AM
If I shot thousands of rounds each month then I'd go for the Glock. While I like the ergonomics of the 92fs more, my local range has sent their rental 92fs for repair many times because of parts breakage. Maybe they had a dud but all of the rental Glocks have shot over 50k rounds without any problems.

Regulus
04-30-2010, 8:35 AM
LOL, touche'.

. :D

cineski
04-30-2010, 8:41 AM
You're looking at 2 completely different trigger platforms, and it comes down to far more than what feels better in your hand. A Glock 17 has IMO the best combat trigger ever. You have no safety or post safety (aka decock) to worry about or train for. The Glock format is simply pickup and shoot and put back down. Completely safe and completely fool proof for incredibly high stress situations. With a Beretta (which is reliable, although not as reliable as a Glock....I've seen 92's jam at the range w/ other people) you must worry about the trigger changing after the first shot and also must remember to decock after a shooting. The DA/SA trigger is just not good for a high stress situation unless you train an train and train. I see a lot of videos and personal experience where people simply forget to decock under normal shooting situations at the range leaving their gun in Condition Zero. Again, the feel of a gun in your hand or the way it looks should be the last thing to worry about when choosing a trigger platform for home defense.

tbhracing
04-30-2010, 8:48 AM
Some very good information here. Thanks for the read.

http://www.funnyforumpics.com/forums/This-Thread-Delivers/1/thread-delivers.jpg

Mister BLASTEE
04-30-2010, 9:06 AM
+1 G17

ponderosa
04-30-2010, 9:18 AM
G17 OD

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2646/3930079060_185c509788_o.jpg

WaR_ClouD-VII
04-30-2010, 9:18 AM
Glock 17 hands down.

Rangda
04-30-2010, 9:28 AM
Beretta is really pretty but I like my Glocks better. 92fs's back bone is a bit too wide for my hand and over all, it just too big for a 9mm. For the same material comparison, I prefer Sig 226 over 92FS any day.

Shawn L
04-30-2010, 9:29 AM
I would also say go try them all and find out what you like best. Also try the XD9. I have the XD and put a couple thousand round down range with no malfunctions.

tbhracing
04-30-2010, 9:36 AM
I started as a SIG person, then Glock and then back to SIG as primary. I would say this- if you had to pick just one pistol to last you for life, take a beating, relaible, look good, always have parts and protect you- go Glock 9mm.

The SIG P226 fits my hand perfect so I am there. But I like Glock as well for all of their positives.

ADD- The XD9 seems to have a really good platform that I like. PLEASE find a pistol that fits well in your hand as this is going to be an investment, not just a gun.

Grumpyoldretiredcop
04-30-2010, 9:40 AM

:rofl2:

Seriously, both are good handguns and would serve you well. Try them both and see which one suits your personal ergonomics better.

Ricky-Ray
04-30-2010, 9:59 AM
I love my 92FS. For me it fit's my hands better than the G17. You gotta go with what's gonna be most comfortable for you. I've owned mine for over 10 years now and has at least over 10,000 rounds thru it and has always worked for me.

Another plus for me why I like my 92FS is that I got it before the hi cap mag law went into affect so that's my only gun where I have 15 round clips. :)

Mr. Beretta
04-30-2010, 10:08 AM
Why own just a gun when you can own a legend!

The Beretta 92 series! :)

UserM4
04-30-2010, 10:10 AM
Glocks are undoubtedly reliable. But so are Berettas. If anyone tells you otherwise, they don't know what they're talking about. Take reliability out of the equation when deciding between the two. Any problem you run into with a Beretta is going to be magazine related, not the gun. Buy good mags and they're gtg.

mossy
04-30-2010, 10:19 AM
glock 17

longarmshortlegs
04-30-2010, 10:26 AM
For those who have both, lets see some pics, side by side, face to face, mano a mano!

Nynvolt
04-30-2010, 10:29 AM
I don't know much about the Beretta, I shot one at the range in the early 90's and LOVED it. However it was the guy behind the counter who told me of all the rentals the Beretta was the one that broke most often. Could have been his bias.

I like how it felt, love the way they look and it shot great.

I have owned a Glock 19, was happy with it but the grip was a little short for me without the plus 2 base plate. I own a Glock 22 and it's been great, very comfortable and reliable. Not so pretty but has it's charm.

DannyZRC
04-30-2010, 10:48 AM
as a target gun, either is suitable.

for the application of lethal force in a home defense situation, the beretta manual of arms makes me worry of a post incident unintentional dischage and a within incident failure to discharge, the glock manual of arms is more conducive to prevention of these operator induced errors.

the glock poses the possibility of an unintentional discharge in the field stripping process, due to the trigger manipulation required (from a closed breech) to disassemble the weapon, the beretta does not require the firing pin to be energized during disassembly.

neither is my #1 choice, and you have to do your own risk analysis =).

I would recommend the XD, the trigger is pulled in the disassembly process from a locked breech as the glock, but only after the slide is locked open to rotate the takedown lever, and it has similar manual of arms to a glock, with the addition of a grip safety to further secure the weapon from unintentional discharges.

I chose an HK P2000 w/ LEM trigger for similar analytic concerns, but I also filtered with an eye towards possible CCW, which promoted relevance of other factors not discussed here and not relevant in range/HD use.

igorts
04-30-2010, 10:58 AM
http://i216.photobucket.com/albums/cc43/igorts/techical/IMG_3723.jpg

DArBad
04-30-2010, 11:01 AM
I vote the Beretta 92.

I used to have the 2nd gen Glock 17 with high cap mags (owned it from 1992 till I sold it off in 2006).

I just bought a new Beretta 92 fs last March. In both feel, ergonomics, plain aesthetic appeal, and aura of quality--- the Beretta 92 FS is it-----FOR ME.

The Glock feels cheesy, cheap, and plain unattractive. Reliablity wise, I have not yet fired my Beretta 92 as much as my Glock 17, BUT with 25 countries using the Beretta, not counting the US-- I have no doubt it is reliable.

KevinXT
04-30-2010, 11:03 AM
I wouldn't wish a beretta on my worst enemy. Its like fighting a retard with a squirt gun.

LOL! so quoting this.....

tbhracing
04-30-2010, 11:23 AM
As request earlier, I will post some pictures of the pistols next to each other. My G17 is on loan to a relative for eval, but I can post the G19 with the 92FS instead and the SIG P226.

TheFlash
04-30-2010, 11:33 AM
I'm a bit biased since I have three B92s (including a Centurion, an Inox and an Elite I). That said, I have checked out the Gen4 at the 2010 ShotShow and was very impressed.
As others have said before me, try each of them out and get the one that fits the best. I have large hands/long fingers so the Beretta actually feels better in my hands than the Glocks.

Or, you could forget both of them and get a nice and reliable revolver in .357/.38Spl... :D

Good luck!

Regards,
Mike

Regulus
04-30-2010, 12:26 PM
You're looking at 2 completely different trigger platforms, and it comes down to far more than what feels better in your hand. A Glock 17 has IMO the best combat trigger ever. You have no safety or post safety (aka decock) to worry about or train for. The Glock format is simply pickup and shoot and put back down. Completely safe and completely fool proof for incredibly high stress situations. With a Beretta (which is reliable, although not as reliable as a Glock....I've seen 92's jam at the range w/ other people) you must worry about the trigger changing after the first shot and also must remember to decock after a shooting. The DA/SA trigger is just not good for a high stress situation unless you train an train and train. I see a lot of videos and personal experience where people simply forget to decock under normal shooting situations at the range leaving their gun in Condition Zero. Again, the feel of a gun in your hand or the way it looks should be the last thing to worry about when choosing a trigger platform for home defense.

Hardly: Happy reading (http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&tbo=1&as_q=glock+negligent+discharge&as_epq=&as_oq=&as_eq=&num=100&lr=&as_filetype=&ft=i&as_sitesearch=&as_qdr=all&as_rights=&as_occt=any&cr=&as_nlo=&as_nhi=&safe=images).

nDfNV9bJoSg

eP6UvNgbqIA

orangeusa
04-30-2010, 1:27 PM
Re: M9's and squirtguns:
There's no difference other than roll marks between the 92FS over the counter and Military M9's. Except magazines. The Military decided to ignore mfg suggestions and went w/ lowest bidder. And it makes a BIG difference. Checkmate=bad, Stock Beretta/MDS or MecGar=win.

Re: 92/96 Trigger Pull
Almost all 92/96 owners DO replace the overly-heavy trigger spring with one from the DAO series. $5 cost, 3 minutes of your time and a huge difference.

Preference:
I shoot Glocks well also.. just not what I buy. The newer Glocks look a lot better than the previous generations, IMO...

One small point - there are very few BAD guns coming from manufacturers right now. Buy a brand name and you'll be fine. Both guns have decent resale, so if you don't like it, sell it and move on!!!

Don't let a bunch of gun-crazed Glock/Beretta nuts make your decision for you. All points have been presented. Time to BUY!! :)

BTW - What was price on 92? I have a 92FS Inox(sweet looking)/90-Two/Cougar and some other stuff..

maschronic
04-30-2010, 1:30 PM
i own 3 92FS. i have not shoot the G17 before, but i have held them. the 92 fits my hands better than the G17.

as for reliability goes, any of my 92's will eat any ammo i throw in there. it always shoots. it always ejects. never an issue.

i know glocks are the same way.

i say, figure out which fits better in your hands an go from there.

nrvnqsrxk
04-30-2010, 1:38 PM
They are both great pistols. However, there are things that can go wrong with the Beretta when things begin to go at 500mph, like the decocker activating, hammer deciding to become stupid, dealing with double action, etc.

For those reasons, I think that having a simple design like the Glock, with a consistent trigger pull and durability would be better for a home offense. For recreation and competition, most people are shooting Glocks, M&P's, or 1911's :detective:

tacticalcity
04-30-2010, 1:48 PM
When I bought my first gun I looked at these two, and made the WRONG choice. Though I did not realize if for a full year.

I chose the Beretta based on comfort in my hand and looks. Then I took a 4 day intense training course right along side other students using Glocks.

They had no more training at the start, but surpassed me by leaps and bounds right from the start.

For self-defense the Glock is hands down the superior weapon system.

The reason is two fold.

THE ACTION

The Beretta is a Double Action / Single Action handgun. The first pull is hard and long, the second light and short. The end result is you end up not pulling hard enough on the first pull and too hard on the second. Especially under stress, when whatever mastery you have gained gets cut in half due to all the adrenaline pumping through your veins and panic in your brain. This translates to shooting too low on the first shot and too high on the follow up shots. Forget about cocking the hammer first. In real life you won't have time for that. Thats only done in movies and on the range when cheating during training. From the holster you start on Double Action with the safety on.

The Glock on the other hand starts with the firing pin half cocked already. Each trigger pull is exactly the same. Requiring the same amount of force each time. Mastery is fairly simple and only takes a fraction of the time. Retenion of training is doubled. You end up with one group right where you want it. Under stress the group widens, but it remains one grouping instead of two. So you get better hits and are much more effective and much faster.

THE SAFETY

Unlike the 1911 or the HK USP, the Berettas Safety doubles as a de-cocker. Meaning that when you engage the safety it automatically de-cocks the weapon. That means there is no possible way to carry it cocked and locked and avoid the first Double Action Pull. You are stuck with it. Don't even think about walking around with it in your holster with the hammer cocked as you will most definitely have a negligent discharge right into your leg. You also have the issue of having to disengage the safety when drawing from the holster, and disengaging when reholstering. If you think that is not a problem, you've never done any serious training. It takes time, and time is something you are short on in a gun fight. Unless you are the bad guy attacking the good guy by surprise.

The Glock has a trigger safety. Meaning theoretically only a finger can pull it. It is not some leaver you have to flip off before you can fire. It is built into the trigger. So you disengage it simply by pulling the trigger. It does not add time to the equation. And like I said, every trigger pull is the same on a Glock, so it does not limit you in any way like the Beretta's safety does.

I went back and took that class over again with the Glock. I was one of the top students in the class. The difference between the Beretta and the Glock made all the difference. I felt like I was fighting the Beretta the entire time, always lagging behind, and never really getting what they were trying to teach. The weapon system itself was too clumsy and took too many extra steps. The Glock on the other hand was a joy to train with and joy to shoot. Not only did it take less steps to manipulate the gun, but I was hitting where I was supposed to hit, and in the time frame I was supposed to do it in.

So based on my experience, save yourself a headache and get the Glock. Or learn the hard way like I did.

Looks don't mean a damn thing when somebody is shooting at you. The only thing that matters is how fast and accurately you can return fire, and stop the threat.

Now, if it is going to be a safe queen or range whore gun...get either one. I have lots of those too. When it comes to saving my rear end, I rely on a Glock.

DannyZRC
04-30-2010, 2:00 PM
Hardly: Happy reading (http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&tbo=1&as_q=glock+negligent+discharge&as_epq=&as_oq=&as_eq=&num=100&lr=&as_filetype=&ft=i&as_sitesearch=&as_qdr=all&as_rights=&as_occt=any&cr=&as_nlo=&as_nhi=&safe=images).

nDfNV9bJoSg

eP6UvNgbqIA

both of those incidents are more likely on the SA pull of a 92, and less likely on the DA pull of the 92. a glock or other LDA-type trigger straddles these two states.

you have to remember to decock a DA/SA after firing the pistol or chambering a round, if you forget then those unintentional discharges of the type displayed are more likely.

the beauty of glocks and other LDA-type triggers is that they are safe enough without being too unweildy. the heaviness of the DA pull is the way it is for mechanically necessary reasons, glock pioneered the idea of designing the trigger pull around the human pulling it, and the LDA-type trigger has become the defacto standard of combat pistols since.

I agree with tacticalcity, except as I did in my previous post, I would recommend the XD over the glock. not because it's more rugged or simpler, it's not, but because I believe it to have a better designed human interface designed to promote safe, fast, effective shooting.

bden
04-30-2010, 2:02 PM
I wouldn't trade my 92 for any pistol, but you should get what fits your hand best and feels best to shoot. We could (and probably will) go around in circles for days about which is better for this reason or that, but in the end that's all really just minutia compared to a test drive.

If you go with the 92 oil the rails well out of the box, change the main spring ($5 and 5 minutes), maybe put some comfy grips on it and all you'll ever have to do again is keep it well fed and occasionally change its diaper. Enjoy!

Bizcuits
04-30-2010, 2:04 PM
Glock hands down... Why? Well it's a Glock and the Beretta isn't.

igorts
04-30-2010, 2:17 PM
Glock hands down... Why? Well it's a Glock and the Beretta isn't.

smart.
compare plastic to plastic, pls:43:
Beretta is 1 class higher. can shoot lead, BTW..
buy what fits you better.

tbhracing
04-30-2010, 3:01 PM
For those who have both, lets see some pics, side by side, face to face, mano a mano!

Just for you. Only thing is that the G17 is on loan to a relative so you get the P226 and G19 instead. The 92FS is like in brand new condition.

http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/kk261/tbhracing/DSC00014-4.jpg

Once A Marine
04-30-2010, 3:36 PM
I've carried both - I'd choose the Glock for feel and action (I much prefer DAO over DA/SA).

runninmike
04-30-2010, 3:42 PM
Recreation/home defense

so for your requirements, either is well suited. You should probably go and rent them both at a shooting range or find some friends that will let you try each. I like both, and own a 92 Brigadier and would like to own a Glock 26 but I have two other 9mm's so I'm set. Accuracy is comparable and considered excellent for combat or casual plinking. I wouldn't hesitate to buy either as they are both an excellent value. In my opinion the Glock 26 shoots as well as the Glock 19 and is a little smaller but still gives 10 shots. I was actually shocked at how accurate the Glock 26 is. Two thumbs up for both Glock and Beretta.

tbhracing
04-30-2010, 3:42 PM
I lived in LV in 1997 when this incident happened. And I dont think the LVMPD was carrying Glocks back then. I might be wrong, but does anyone have any more info on this ND?

nDfNV9bJoSg

orangeusa
04-30-2010, 3:43 PM
There are a TON of LEO trade-in 96D's out there at low prices!!! (DAO)
I have a 8000D and it shoots like a revolver. Smoooth, but a long pull.. Probably just muddying the waters here.... :)

BTW - The DEA video is definitely a Glock. Not sure on other video...

TRIGGER control is your best safety.

QUESTION:
Is this standard policy when holding a gun on someone? Finger on trigger??

tbhracing
04-30-2010, 7:23 PM
The one thing I do NOT like about the 92FS is the safety decocker is in the way when you want to go rack the slide. I like my SIG- pure slide to grab.

Cos
04-30-2010, 8:57 PM
CZ75-SP01 Tactical :)

Falstaff
04-30-2010, 9:02 PM

LOLZEE- yes, it's true, many people here have a hard time separating brand loyaly (aka emotional attachment) with objective analysis...

hybridatsun350
04-30-2010, 10:39 PM

I'm glad you got a good one! You think I just make this stuff up? I'm making these statements based on personal experience and the experience of others. I own a 92F and really like the gun, but it's not a Glock. Glock's don't have locking blocks that fail or trigger springs that snap. I never said the Beretta wasn't reliable, as it is a reliable weapon. I just said it wasn't as reliable as the Glock.

I watched a 92FS blow up right next to me while I was shooting at a match. Needless to say, my Glock 34 and I won that one. Oh, and it was factory ammo. ;)

Notblake
04-30-2010, 10:45 PM
Here comes poster #24 with his sour grapes!

I think you should CZECH out the CZ75 If you are interested in the Beretta 92, they are very similar guns, the CZ has a better trigger (imo) and is cheaper, feels better in the hand, really accurate, man I could go on for days.

I'm just sayin, you should really try my grapes.

Foriegn power
04-30-2010, 11:06 PM
I'm going to tell you this on a factual basis, I went to the range couple of days ago. My friend has a brand new 92FS which he carries for work, I have a fairly new G26, both 9mm. And so, he has some old 9mm police rounds that he brought for the range trip to be fired. Most importantly, almost every round he fires with his 92 FS jams! I try not to be a smart *** and say hey try those 9mm rounds on my G26, my Glock shot all those rounds, where in his case his 92 FS jammed everytime, either failed to eject, stove pipe, double feeds etc. So all I can say is my experience is biased towards Glock.

longarmshortlegs
04-30-2010, 11:16 PM
Just for you. Only thing is that the G17 is on loan to a relative so you get the P226 and G19 instead. The 92FS is like in brand new condition.

Gracias amigo! I agree that the safety-on-the-slide bit is something else. I just fired a 92fs for the first time in forever and I felt like a retarded kid playing with a light switch (no offense to retarded kids). Everytime I needed it on, it was off, and everytime I needed it off, it was on. I did not want to touch it, but there was no avoiding it. The gun does point like a dream, and the grip is nice.

Quiet
04-30-2010, 11:18 PM

QFT

Beretta 92, of course. Reliable enough for the military, reliable enough for me.
US military went with the Beretta, because it was cheaper than the SIG P226, which out performed the Beretta Model 92F.

Wow, not many Glocks in the US Military..... 3.5 Million Berettas at last count...
There are a few Glocks in the US military, it's mostly the Spec Ops community.
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2740/4446200043_10f8ddb2b2_o.jpg
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4056/4447079316_e078ee48c9_o.jpg
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2740/4446974144_a76cc35de1_b.jpg

Millions-Knives
04-30-2010, 11:29 PM
You can throw the Beretta after you run out of ammo...could make the difference in a life-and-death situation.

Plastic Glock
Aluminum Sig

STEEL Beretta

:ninja:

Butokan
05-01-2010, 12:09 AM
I'm going to tell you this on a factual basis, I went to the range couple of days ago. My friend has a brand new 92FS which he carries for work, I have a fairly new G26, both 9mm. And so, he has some old 9mm police rounds that he brought for the range trip to be fired. Most importantly, almost every round he fires with his 92 FS jams! I try not to be a smart *** and say hey try those 9mm rounds on my G26, my Glock shot all those rounds, where in his case his 92 FS jammed everytime, either failed to eject, stove pipe, double feeds etc. So all I can say is my experience is biased towards Glock.

Did your friend clean out all the factory grease and relube before taking it to the range?

Butokan
05-01-2010, 12:14 AM
Why is everyone always worried about the safety on the Beretta? The gun is safe enough to carry with safety off.

VictorFranko
05-01-2010, 4:49 AM

The US Military began the competition for a 9mm to replace the 1911 under a program called the Joint Service Small Arms Program, in the mid 1970's if memory serves me correct.
I am sure Glock never entered the competition, and if they had at that time, would not have won.
It came down to Beretta vs SIG, and Beretta won.
That was near 30 years ago!
If they had they competition today, I'll go way out on a limb (sarcasm) and say Beretta would not make it past the first round of competition.

HPGunner
05-01-2010, 8:00 AM
I prefer shooting my 92FS over my G17. It's got less recoil and personally have more fun shooting it. It hasn't jammed on me yet. It's only got a thousand rounds through it. My Glock 17 had two jams in the 2000 rounds I put through it - likely due to the ammo I was using. The Glock is lighter and Beretta is heavier. I can't say one is any more reliable then the other. The Glock feels more durable and it's easier to clean.

For self defense - I like the Glock better because it's a no-nonsense gun without the extra safety switch. Carrying is as mentioned lighter and the gun doesn't have extra parts to snag on anything - all around smooth simple gun. The Glock has the same trigger pull from the very first pull vs. the DA pull of the Beretta. I wouldn't be comfortable holstering the Beretta with the hammer cocked and the safety on. I'm sure it's perfectly safe though. Not sure if the military carries their M9 cocked and locked? EDIT: I take this comment and question back. I forgot the 92FS is a decocker - so you can't have it cocked and locked. sorry.

There isn't much else to say besides get both.

t0kie
05-01-2010, 8:02 AM
Glock 17 if I were you.
________
The Legend Condos (http://pattayaluxurycondos.com)

Sajedene
05-01-2010, 8:50 AM
Why not get both?

tonelar
05-01-2010, 8:55 AM
IF I WERE YOU;
between the two/ i'm gonna have to say Beretta 92. But I was born in the 60's and learned on traditional double action (or DA/SA as the newbies like to call them now).

IF YOU WERE ME;
for a full size wonder nine- I'd go either CZ75 or P226.

-I've had Glocks, Sigs, Berettas and CZs in my collection... the only pistols I've sold to other enthusiasts were Glocks and Berettas. The ONLY pistols I've let go to family and friends were Sigs and Berettas. See the trend?

Once A Marine
05-01-2010, 8:59 AM
The US Military began the competition for a 9mm to replace the 1911 under a program called the Joint Service Small Arms Program, in the mid 1970's if memory serves me correct.
I am sure Glock never entered the competition, and if they had at that time, would not have won.
It came down to Beretta vs SIG, and Beretta won.
That was near 30 years ago!
If they had they competition today, I'll go way out on a limb (sarcasm) and say Beretta would not make it past the first round of competition.

Glock is also ramping up for production within the US. They have all the equipment and facilities now. They'll be a serious contender for the next pistol - my worry is that the military always wants manual safties (the 92 didn't have one originally).

If the "3.5 million Beretta's in the military" poster wants to compare apples to apples, how many Berettas are used in US Law Enforment vs. Glocks?

bsg
05-01-2010, 10:18 AM
my vote is Glock 17. oh, i can bring my own? w german P226 for me.

-Brady

AMC
05-01-2010, 10:27 AM
I vote G17. I own one a like it a lot. I had a 92fs and shot/carried one regularly in the service but I was never thrilled with it. The 92 never malfunctioned on me but I didn't care for the sights and for some strange reason I was never as accurate with it as I was with my glocks and sigs.
Most will say the 92 is a very accurate pistol but one gun is not for everyone.
If you have not tested them both, go do that 1st and while your at it, shoot a CZ75, Sig P226/228/229, HiPower and Springfield XD.

tonelar
05-01-2010, 11:39 AM
...If you have not tested them both, go do that 1st and while your at it, shoot a CZ75, Sig P226/228/229, HiPower and Springfield XD.

+1

Also, a little more info about you (OP) would help us with these suggestions. What have you shot already vs what's in your collection.

WW2Buff
05-01-2010, 11:48 AM
I agree that the M92 is pretty big for a 9mm but I much prefer the DA/SA action compared to the G17. I had one and it functioned great and was accurate but I didn't like the feel that much. I agree with the other posters that you should try both if you can. Good luck! -Ben

Da hudge
05-01-2010, 12:07 PM
Taurus PT-92. All safety/DA/SA issues are overcome. :D

evidens83
05-01-2010, 12:23 PM
G17

Shawn L
05-01-2010, 12:24 PM
http://i193.photobucket.com/albums/z279/splinse/100_1146.jpg
http://i193.photobucket.com/albums/z279/splinse/100_1147.jpg

Colt-45
05-01-2010, 7:52 PM
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/e/ed/Beretta_92FS.jpg

advocatusdiaboli
05-01-2010, 8:30 PM
Most well-designed firearms work well in pristine conditions on the range. But when the mud splatters, the rain falls, and the enemy fogs the plan not all come through. The 1911 cam e through tried and true and admirably for two world wars. But it's cartridge is tired and old tech. We now have pistols in 9mm, 40 S&w, and 357 SIG which clearly out perform the .45 in a power to weight ratio--weight matters when you are carrying gear in the field--I know.

So it boils down to field survival--which pistol can handle not only the fog of war but the dust, grime, sand, mud, and dirt of war. And only a few live up to that test. You all know which they are and it's not Beretta. They make great O&U shotguns--I love Silver Pigeons--but they don't make great field pistols--city pistols yes--field no. I'll take Sig or H&K any day. And Glock for limited narrow mission constraints.

elSquid
05-01-2010, 9:32 PM
Well, if you want the best handgun, you want a Ballester-Molina.

As far as 92 or G17, the answer is... whatever you gel with and shoot the best. Both are decent pistols..

-- Michael

Bug Splat
05-01-2010, 10:10 PM
I'm a big glock fan so I vote G17 but here are my reasons...

1. I don't like the feel or weight. Too big and heavy for what it does.

2. Hate the upside-down safety. I know this is perspective but it just feels 100% wrong to my hand.

3. I don't have one friend who came out of the military still liking the M9. They hated it and had more problems with them than any other pistol.

4. I'm friends with the local range gunsmith where they rent a large number of Beretta's and Glocks every day. What guns are always failing and in need of repair? Berettas. What guns goes weeks or even months without a cleaning, oiling or any love at all? Glocks.

I rented the most god-awful looking dirty, scratched, dented, rusty glock 21 I had ever seen. When you pulled the slide back it sounded like a rusty gate "ERRRRRREEEEEEEKKKKKK". I put 200 rounds through it without one problem. Asked my gunsmith buddy how long it had been since he cleaned it and he said "Hell, at least 3-4 months. I never touch the glocks, they just keep going." I have around 20K through my G17 without one problem and I myself went thousands without cleaning and oiling as a test.

Regulus
05-02-2010, 4:30 AM
what magazine is that?

Factory Beretta 20rd mag. I've had this since 1989 and don't even have a 10 rd mag for it. Only have 15's, 20's, 30's.

tbhracing
05-02-2010, 7:36 AM
This chick likes her Beretta....

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs112.snc1/4669_1156454916929_1394419597_30417475_1361629_n.j pg

kmdesigns
05-02-2010, 8:54 AM
Holy cow! I leave for the weekend and this is what I return to. Fantastic amounts of knowledge and opinion out there. Thank you so much guys, I really appreciate everyone weighing in on the topic. I am still doing some research but you guys will definitely get to see my choice when it comes home.

MossbergMan
05-02-2010, 9:33 AM
Glock 17 and don't look back unless you want to see a Beretta...;)

tbhracing
05-02-2010, 9:34 AM
I am loving this thread since I just picked up a 92FS, picks to follow soon.

jdogg2000
05-02-2010, 9:59 AM
I think my Beretta is a beautiful gun but I rarely shoot it since I got my Glock. I won't part with either of them, but if someone broke into my house its the Glock that I'd grab...

http://lh4.ggpht.com/_fP72_yZL4Yk/Sseqpb4zlsI/AAAAAAAAAZQ/1IvokqYHl30/s800/DSC_1636.jpg

tbhracing
05-02-2010, 10:26 AM
Can someone please tell me what that long round part does in the center, above the trigger guard?

Thanks.

garuda7
05-02-2010, 10:37 AM
So I'm up for a new 9mm and I'm kinda torn. I know both are super reliable and the shop offered me a great price on the Beretta, so price is very close. So far I'm leaning more toward the Beretta. I wanted to see what thoughts and opinions you guys had.

The best way I can describe it is the glock is like a toyota and the beretta is like a ferrari. The glock is functional and reliable, but the beretta has the sexy factor and just looks really pretty. You can do what I did and just buy both :)

orangeusa
05-02-2010, 10:55 AM
Can someone please tell me what that long round part does in the center, above the trigger guard?

Thanks.

Are you talking about the trigger bar? Just above the trigger and goes back... It transfers trigger motion back to release sear/release hammer - i.e. shoots the GUN.

Or the oval button above the front above the trigger guard?
Thats part that you push to release the take down lever. Allows you to remove the slide.

tbhracing
05-02-2010, 11:03 AM
Or the oval button above the front above the trigger guard?
Thats part that you push to release the take down lever. Allows you to remove the slide.

Thats it, thanks. I didnt know, so I ordered an Owners Manual do get up to speed on my new 92FS.

Thanks again, I just didnt know.

orangeusa
05-02-2010, 11:08 AM
Glock is also ramping up for production within the US. They have all the equipment and facilities now. They'll be a serious contender for the next pistol - my worry is that the military always wants manual safties (the 92 didn't have one originally).

If the "3.5 million Beretta's in the military" poster wants to compare apples to apples, how many Berettas are used in US Law Enforment vs. Glocks?

There have been about 3.5M 92's shipped in various forms - M9, LEO sales, Foreign LEO, Foreign Mil sales.

And Glock's own the LEO world, due to subsidized sale to the LEO world. And they are lighter. Not a ton of guys want to carry a 92 CCW. Like a hogleg.

I'm not a hater of any handgun, just seem like these two platforms at this time have different customers. 92->M9, Glocks->LEO.

And one thing no-one has brought up is customer service. Beretta's SUCKS right now. And I like my Berettas, but it is really BAD. I've heard Glock's is as good as any.

So apples to oranges. And definitely that way with their controls.

I still love the 92 Series... :)

GoodEyeSniper
05-02-2010, 11:10 AM
I've never held a Glock that I liked the feel of. LOVE the feel of a beretta, and how it shoots.

Both are fine firearms, but my personal choice would be beretta hands down.

Plus it's one of the sexiest pistols ever made. Glocks? notsomuch.

tbhracing
05-02-2010, 11:42 AM
One thing I have mentioned here and have gotten any response back is that the 92 FS was and still is the issued pistol for the LAPD, LA Sheriffs Office and the soon defunct LA County Police.

Maybe not a big deal, but thats 1000s of Officers right there shooting tens of thousands of 9mm rounds. To me, that is impressive. To others, maybe not so much?

Add- I do know that LAPD has changed now or atleast lets thier people carry different pistols.

http://i101.photobucket.com/albums/m76/jrod161984/IMG_2127.jpg

Katana
05-02-2010, 5:14 PM
http://vickerstactical.com/

",...the design is inherently very reliable. Without question, with proper lubrication, maintenance and magazines, the pistol is one of the most reliable service pistols in use today." (Larry Vickers on the Beretta M9)

http://www.tacticalgunfan.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=230&Itemid=78

orangeusa
05-02-2010, 5:34 PM
One thing I have mentioned here and have gotten any response back is that the 92 FS was and still is the issued pistol for the LAPD, LA Sheriffs Office and the soon defunct LA County Police.

Maybe not a big deal, but thats 1000s of Officers right there shooting tens of thousands of 9mm rounds. To me, that is impressive. To others, maybe not so much?

Add- I do know that LAPD has changed now or atleast lets thier people carry different pistols.

http://i101.photobucket.com/albums/m76/jrod161984/IMG_2127.jpg

Sorry but I'd let the officer nearest the camera frisk me anytime. I HAD to post that... heehee

Katana
05-02-2010, 9:33 PM
I have to agree, she certainly does justice to the uniform! :p

bden
05-02-2010, 9:45 PM
I wouldn't trade my 92 for any pistol, but you should get what fits your hand best and feels best to shoot. We could (and probably will) go around in circles for days about which is better for this reason or that, but in the end that's all really just minutia compared to a test drive

:whistling: :43:

(subliminal message...buy them both...the 92 is better...build an AR...bden is a cool dude...buy him one too...)

UserM4
05-02-2010, 10:03 PM
Here's a good audio review on the M9 by some active duty Marines on the first post.
http://gunrightsradio.com/forums2/index.php/topic,1076.0.html
little past half way through it.

tbhracing
05-02-2010, 10:15 PM
Sorry but I'd let the officer nearest the camera frisk me anytime. I HAD to post that... heehee

Why do you think I picked that photo? :)

pontiacpratt
05-02-2010, 10:18 PM
I'll chime in on Beretta Reliability:
My PX4 has never ever even so much as threatened me in anyway to not fire when I pulled the trigger. I normally run the rotating barrel dry. (it's NP3'd)
As for the slide mounted safety:
I have no issue with it. It's what I learned on and I don't really understand how it could accidentally be engaged when racking the slide.
I handled my friends Glock 21c and it felt like a brick. It seemed foreign to me, again probably do to the fact that I learned on the PX4.
I've yet to see which I like better shooting, whenever I try to get him to go out shooting he is always busy... He probably doesn't want his Glock in the venerable .45 to be upstaged by that Flashy Italian chambered in the snappy .40;)

Merc1138
05-02-2010, 10:33 PM
I can see why some people like the Beretta, I really can. Personally, I can't stand the thing. I have large hands, and I think the grip is too big, I hate how high up the safety is on the slide, I hate that the safety seems backwards, I hate the feel of it's takedown lever(wasn't absolutely locked into place, released the slide forward and watched the whole slide and barrel fly across the room into an LCD monitor, spent 20 minutes looking for the guiderod that went in the opposite direction, fortunately the monitor survived. It was actually pretty darn funny after I saw that the monitor was OK and found the guide rod), I hate how heavy it is, I hate the magazines, and I just plain overall do not like the 92fs whatsoever.

I think it looks nice, that's about it.

In regards to the grip size and weight, my Mom who got it in the 80's still loves the thing even though she has much smaller hands than I do, and I would normally assume that the larger grip and awkward safety would be a bigger issue, but they aren't.

That said, she also likes shooting .357 magnum out of her colt revolver(I forget which model, I'm not into revolvers really) that drives me up a damn wall with it's stupid backwards cylinder release.

In the end, shoot both and take your pick based off of personal preference. You'll find people that will say to get one over the other for a multitude of reasons that are probably largely irrelevant for yourself anyway.

Quiet
05-03-2010, 1:54 AM

In 2003, Glocks became authorized for general use in the LAPD.
In 2006, the .40S&W Glock 22 became the standard issue for the LAPD.

DArBad
05-03-2010, 10:47 AM

LAPD use the Beretta 92s, so does the SFPD, Oakland PD, etc.

Outside the US, the French Gendermerie ordered 40,000 Beretta's around mid 1990s and are still using them. The militaries & LEO of Panama, Colombia, and Iraq.

Spain ordered 45,000 Beretta's for the Spanish Guardia Civil. In Asia, the Philippines, Malaysia, etc.

So, we are comparing apples to apples, not only in the USA but also other countries.

I will do more research to corroborate OTHER countries and other LEOs in the USA.

tbhracing
05-03-2010, 11:07 AM

Thanks for the info. Just to confirm that you meant "uses" or "used"?

DArBad
05-03-2010, 11:48 AM
Thanks for the info. Just to confirm that you meant "uses" or "used"?

Oh! For the SFPD and Oakland, as well as the VA Police here in SF-- I meant " uses". Now, for the LAPD, MAYBE it will be " used ".

Thanks for giving me the opportunity to correct that, tbhracing:):)

tbhracing
05-03-2010, 12:00 PM
Youre welcome brother.

Once A Marine
05-03-2010, 12:18 PM

Outside the US, the French Gendermerie ordered 40,000 Beretta's around mid 1990s and are still using them. The militaries & LEO of Panama, Colombia, and Iraq.

Spain ordered 45,000 Beretta's for the Spanish Guardia Civil. In Asia, the Philippines, Malaysia, etc.

So, we are comparing apples to apples, not only in the USA but also other countries.

I will do more research to corroborate OTHER countries and other LEOs in the USA.

Ensure your research is up to date - LAPD issues the G22 I believe, SFPD has gone to the SIG (226?) ...

I don't doubt that the 92 was the 9mm of choice for a while - but the move towards .40S&W seems dominated by the G22 in the law enforcement realm.

DArBad
05-03-2010, 12:37 PM
Ensure your research is up to date - LAPD issues the G22 I believe, SFPD has gone to the SIG (226?) ...

I don't doubt that the 92 was the 9mm of choice for a while - but the move towards .40S&W seems dominated by the G22 in the law enforcement realm.

I've been discreetly eyeying the SFPD's sidearm, the VA police's, and Oakland PDs, as recent as last week-----and they are still using the Beretta 92. I even had to ask several cops IF they are happy with the Beretta as I was recently in the market for a quality 9 mm. A

So, yes, they are still using it. A co-worker's brother is a Captain in the SFPD, and he also corroborated that the CURRENT crop of sidearm of SFPD's are still the Beretta 92.

Now, as to the LAPD's current crop of sidearm, you are correct that in the not too distant past it was indeed the Beretta 92. I still have to ask people in the know down there what is the LATEST deal.

tbhracing
05-03-2010, 12:47 PM
Seems like the LASO is happy with them? (I love the brass dropping scene)

RQbeCVNZMBA

j1133s
05-03-2010, 12:51 PM

Beretta 92fs is fairly accurate and it's the easiest to shoot 9mm pistol I've ever shot in terms of felt recoil. If you are a new shooter, I'd almost put money down that you'll shoot the beretta better than the glock.

Once A Marine
05-03-2010, 1:01 PM
I've been discreetly eyeying the SFPD's sidearm, the VA police's, and Oakland PDs, as recent as last week-----and they are still using the Beretta 92. I even had to ask several cops IF they are happy with the Beretta as I was recently in the market for a quality 9 mm. A

So, yes, they are still using it. A co-worker's brother is a Captain in the SFPD, and he also corroborated that the CURRENT crop of sidearm of SFPD's are still the Beretta 92.

Now, as to the LAPD's current crop of sidearm, you are correct that in the not too distant past it was indeed the Beretta 92. I still have to ask people in the know down there what is the LATEST deal.

Roger that. My understanding was that SFPD decided on the SIG a year or two ago, so I'd expect them to use out current Berettas and replace them eventually.

Thanks for the info :)

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=237321

BNuge
05-03-2010, 1:18 PM
I'd go with a Berreta. The single action trigger is nice to have. The barrel is longer which is also good for accuracy.

DArBad
05-03-2010, 1:47 PM
Roger that. My understanding was that SFPD decided on the SIG a year or two ago, so I'd expect them to use out current Berettas and replace them eventually.

Thanks for the info :)

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=237321

You're welcome, Once A Marine!

Cheers:):)

Generator
05-03-2010, 1:56 PM
It's more expensive, but I prefer the Sig P226 9mm over the 92fs. Similar weight, but the Sig has a more comfortable grip and a better trigger pull. But this is just MHO. As far as military specs, the SEALS dropped the 92fs for the P226, in spite of what the standard side arm contract was. But for your purposes, get what feels "right" to you. I fired about 400-500 rds through each gun I was interested in before I decided on my all stainless P226.
Good luck and safe shooting

tbhracing
05-03-2010, 2:21 PM
As posted earlier, I own both. And if I had to only choose one, I would go with the Glock.

Add- My G17 shoots very well, but it took me years to get it down. And its fun as well. But, the 92FS is also fun to shoot and groups well. I am just used to the G17 right now.

sammy
05-03-2010, 4:17 PM
I would choose the G17 for the simple fact that it is not a DA/SA gun. Rent both and see for yourself how difficult the transition from DA to SA is. It can be mastered but why would you want to? If the gun is for HD I want the most simple to operate gun I can find. Glock has no safteys, decocker ect. They are both amazingly accurate with a slight edge going to the Beretta. Sammy

Donk310
05-03-2010, 4:27 PM
Try both... shoot both at the same time then make a decision. Don't worry about the reliability aspect because I can tell you that my 92 (which I know longer own) was a lot more reliable than my (brand new) Glock 19. Just make sure the one you buy is reliable.

IronColt
05-03-2010, 4:47 PM
I believe the berettas are more expensive than glock 17. dollar for dollar, you just can't beat the g17.

mag318
05-03-2010, 5:21 PM
To the OP, choose whatever you like the best. Glocks are basically cheap pistols costing just slightly over $100 each to produce. Glock owns the LEO market in the US because they make offers to departments that are to sweet to refuse. They virtually give their pistols to PDs which accounts for their LEO market share, smart move on their part. Just recently other companies like Smith & Wesson have started making inroads back into the market they once owned. Berettas on the other hand are expensive pistols and though popular with departments where members buy there own equipment, they cannot compete price wise with Glock.
I own both Glocks and Berettas and if I had to choose between the two I would go with my 92FS. I'm not saying it's a better pistol, it's just one I shoot better and I'm more comfortable with. If you do decide on that 92 I think you made a wise choice. You've seen a lot of opinions on this thread so go with what you think if best for you.

neuron
05-03-2010, 5:34 PM

I thought that the SFPD issues Model 96's (.40cal)...The SFSO issues Glocks in 9mm. Am I mistaken?:o

neuron
05-03-2010, 5:57 PM
Try both... shoot both at the same time then make a decision. Don't worry about the reliability aspect because I can tell you that my 92 (which I know longer own) was a lot more reliable than my (brand new) Glock 19. Just make sure the one you buy is reliable.

+1.

I own, carry, and have shot both Glocks and Barettas (G26 & 92FS). Both weapons are very reliable, so it comes down to what features and ergonomics you like. I like the consistent trigger action of the Glocks...the 92FS is DA/SA so you need to be comfortable with that. Ditto for the Glock "safe action." It is safe in the sense that it will not fire unless you depress the trigger. The Beretta offers a bit more "safety" in the sense that you can carry one in the chamber with the hammer down and the DA pull is a bit more forgiving of AD's in that "ready to fire" condition. The trade-off is that a first shot from the Beretta requires a heavier trigger pull than a Glock, and the second shot from a Beretta requires a lighter SA trigger pull.

This can be compensated for by training, and hasn't hindered skilled marksmen from shooting the 92FS with great accuracy. As to the inherent accuracy of the two guns, both will shoot better than most of us are capable...IMHO the Beretta has more "accurizing" options than the Glock, if you want to get into custom Smithing. Out of the box, both weapons are designed to for acceptable combat accuracy. But the M9/92FS is easier to "accurize," and has proven that in match shooting.:)

WoodrowShootist
05-03-2010, 6:10 PM
the fit and the way it shoots can be learned. you can learn to shoot anything.
dont get me wrong though, i'm not saying that it's not important, just saying that if it's a close one between the two you can adapt to either.

while at the range trying out both ask the guys behind the counter which of the two has had more problems. ask what breaks on them and intervals of breakage. that will give you an idea of what you'll be in store for as far as commonly breaking and wearing parts, tuning, etc.

also ask which has good customer service. the guns there have seen more rounds than you will most likely ever put through your personal gun. and they have to deal with the customer service to get them repaired. so it's a good place for information. you'll be surprised at which ones are piles and which ones survive the test of time.

rojocorsa
05-03-2010, 7:28 PM
Hands down, Glock.

It seems more practical/lower maintenance to me.

tbhracing
05-03-2010, 9:34 PM
I love this thread and its addicting. Thanks to everyone for the info and opinions. I just find all of this talk interesting.

Thanks again!!

Stanze
05-03-2010, 11:03 PM
Do a search for: "Beretta broken locking block".

I've experienced this first hand in the the mid-90's (I released the slide and the pistol came apart in my hand just like that!). Beretta USA rep over the phone acted like it's never happened before and begrudgingly agreed to have me send the 92FS for inspection and repair.

I understand due to the EPA, the metal in US made Beretta pistols is brittle compared to Italian made 92F pistols.:confused:

I own a G17 and would own a M9 for ****s and giggles, but knowing it will probably fail before the G17 does.

Merc1138
05-03-2010, 11:16 PM
The beretta I was in possession of at the time that did what it did, was definitely not due to a broken locking block. It wouldn't have happened if I had paid slightly more attention to the takedown lever, but I just simply don't like the takedown lever. I don't care what the US armed forces prefer, I think it sucks. Like a lot of things, just because the military uses it, doesn't mean it's the best choice for everyone, buying simply because of that is silly(which is why I said to simply just try it out first). It also happened to be an Italian made Beretta.

I don't know about the metal in the newer versions on the market being any more brittle, but they have apparently been shipping with plastic guide rods and I'm not sure what else(not a big deal, plenty of pistols these days work fine with plastic guide rods). I'm not sure why the EPA would be involved in that.

Stanze
05-03-2010, 11:22 PM
The beretta I was in possession of at the time that did what it did, was definitely not due to a broken locking block. It wouldn't have happened if I had paid slightly more attention to the takedown lever, but I just simply don't like the takedown lever. I don't care what the US armed forces prefer, I think it sucks. Like a lot of things, just because the military uses it, doesn't mean it's the best choice for everyone, buying simply because of that is silly(which is why I said to simply just try it out first). It also happened to be an Italian made Beretta.

I don't know about the metal in the newer versions on the market being any more brittle, but they have apparently been shipping with plastic guide rods and I'm not sure what else(not a big deal, plenty of pistols these days work fine with plastic guide rods). I'm not sure why the EPA would be involved in that.

http://www.cybershooters.org/dgca/beretta_92fs.htm

Gόnter
05-04-2010, 12:03 AM
I don't own either but I have shot both several times. Both are great pistols, I do plan to get one or both guns eventually.

These are just my opinions, your mileage may vary:
Size – Glock
Weight – Glock
Ergonomics - Beretta
Safety - Beretta
Firepower - Glock/Draw with California mags
Accuracy – Beretta
Reliability – Draw
Durability – Glock
Simplicity – Glock
Accessories – Glock
Price - Glock
Aesthetics - Beretta

lorax3
05-04-2010, 10:14 PM
Let's keep this discussion on track, and keep it civil.

Jerry X
05-04-2010, 10:44 PM
Glock hands down.

1nsanity
05-06-2010, 9:40 AM
just different styles of operation that tends to be subjective to each person's particular fit and sensibilities but both are capable for your intent and purpose. is price the only constraint for limiting yourself to these two particular brands and models? you don't necessarily have to buy new and can find incredible prices on used as well. one thing about the 92fs, you may want to consider changing the mainspring to that of the 92d which lightens the double action pull and is really inexpensive and cake to replace. i prefer sig myself as primary and there are plenty of pretty good deals on used sigs out there as well, although they tend to sell pretty quickly. i say try out other companies to get a better personal feel of what suits you...

Katana
05-06-2010, 7:39 PM
As for the slide mounted safety:
I have no issue with it. It's what I learned on and I don't really understand how it could accidentally be engaged when racking the slide.

Perhaps with wet, numb fingers — or with gloves on?

I guess they're dedicated to having the "on safe" position, but I think it might help to alleviate the problem if the safety/decocker lever was instead just a spring loaded decocker that automatically returns to the "fire" position.