PDA

View Full Version : Movie Weapons

jm838
04-29-2010, 10:21 PM
Just out of curiosity, how exactly do armorers for movies go about getting fully automatic weapons? It's probably a stupid question, but I can't seem to find the law that allows them to purchase post '86 machine guns. I would imagine they are able to do so, considering that movies frequently feature guns that did not even exist by the time the ban kicked in. Do they have to buy equivalent semi-automatic weapons then "manufacture" machine guns as FFL's?

69Mach1
04-29-2010, 10:25 PM
The 86' rule is for civi's. Class 3 FFL's can buy what they want.

jm838
04-29-2010, 10:33 PM
The 86' rule is for civi's. Class 3 FFL's can buy what they want.

I figured it was a simple answer like that. I was under the impression that full-auto was only available to FFL's with demo letters, or some other complication existed. Apparently not. Thanks.

curtisfong
04-29-2010, 10:38 PM
In CA, the film industry gets whatever exceptions it wants. Even more than LEO in many cases. They bought and paid for most of those exemptions. They have more money than you do.

MichaelKent
04-29-2010, 11:33 PM
I worked for a while on a camera crew, and while I never heard the legal specifics I do know that any scene featuring functioning firearm props would generally have LEOs, expert "advisers," paramedics, and more all nearby. There was a liability involved which they took very seriously.

I'm also pretty sure the studios don't actually own the (working) guns, they lease or rent them from armorers or from the gun manufacturers themselves. Hollywood has amazing lawyers that can work all kinds of deals.

But again I was a peon, I don't know how they got the guns they use.