PDA

View Full Version : access to shared wireless

HotRails
04-29-2010, 10:50 PM
I share a wireless network with several roommates. It's password protected but I was concerned about whether one of them could see what websites I'm viewing, passwords to email/ bank accounts and so on. One of the roommates seems computer savvy and has the potential for malevolent behavior. Thanks, computer technology is not my strong point!

fdbizzle
04-29-2010, 11:11 PM
pretty unlikely unless they install something

djbooya
04-29-2010, 11:17 PM
I share a wireless network with several roommates. It's password protected but I was concerned about whether one of them could see what websites I'm viewing, passwords to email/ bank accounts and so on. One of the roommates seems computer savvy and has the potential for malevolent behavior. Thanks, computer technology is not my strong point!

If you are concerned make sure you use encryption to any sites you visit.

For example, for website make sure it says "https://...." for your email, make sure you're using POP w/encryption or IMAP w/encryption, or if using webmail, make sure you choose the websites HTTPS option which is not the default.

If you're in a shared setting and not doing this the computer savvy dude can see your traffic if he tries. However, you make it much harder (not impossible) for him to see anything when using encryption end to end.

Make sure you do not accept any "warnings" from your web browser that says a certificate is invalid because that could be the roommate trying to hi-jack your traffic.

djbooya
04-29-2010, 11:18 PM
pretty unlikely unless they install something

btw: since they are in the same physical area nothing needs to be installed. depending on the access the roommate has he can easily hi-jack the traffic if it isn't encrypted.

bigmike82
04-29-2010, 11:27 PM
Even if it is encrypted, if they've got the password it might as well not be.

djbooya
04-29-2010, 11:36 PM
Even if it is encrypted, if they've got the password it might as well not be.

Oh, I was referring to the OP using encryption at the app layer. I agree that any encryption at the network layer is moot since the roommate is on the same network. Even outside of that, they can just install a hub on the front end of the wireless router/access point and at that point unless application layer encryption is used they can see everything.... even if application layer encryption is used with a little more work they can still see everything.

Turbinator
04-30-2010, 9:27 AM
Are your roomates that untrustworthy, or are you just afraid they'll catch you looking at.... nevermind.. :)

Turby

JDay
04-30-2010, 10:57 AM
Use the https (SSL) gateway for your webmail, make sure your email client is set to use TLS or SSL if you use a client. Your bank already forces use of SSL so you don't have to worry about that.

HotRails
04-30-2010, 12:09 PM
Are your roomates that untrustworthy, or are you just afraid they'll catch you looking at.... nevermind.. :)

Turby

Yeah, thats what I've thought, none of them know I have guns.. oh wait.. you meant.. well I was just concerned they might find out something they didn't know already.. ;) alll-riggght

CSACANNONEER
04-30-2010, 12:14 PM
Yeah, thats what I've thought, none of them know I have guns.. oh wait.. you meant.. well I was just concerned they might find out something they didn't know already.. ;) alll-riggght

Like what?

D_fens
04-30-2010, 12:23 PM
A few things:
1.) Everyone does it. (Ok, not eeeeeveryone)
2.) Try logging into your router and seeing if it has a log if you're worried about people looking at your history.
3.) Emails and Bank Accounts usually use an encrypted website. At least the websites of the ones I use do. Look for the "https"
4.) Get leverage against him :p

HotRails
04-30-2010, 6:45 PM
A few things:
1.) Everyone does it. (Ok, not eeeeeveryone)
2.) Try logging into your router and seeing if it has a log if you're worried about people looking at your history.3.) Emails and Bank Accounts usually use an encrypted website. At least the websites of the ones I use do. Look for the "https"
4.) Get leverage against him :p

how would i do this?

badandy
04-30-2010, 7:10 PM
how would i do this?

try to see what they're doing.... will give you a good idea of how tough/easy it may be. and then hold them responsible for they're sleazy surfing...

Pyrodyne
04-30-2010, 7:44 PM
With this much trust out the window, why go to all the bother and waste all that time? Sure you can go spy on his activity or try to weasel around him spying on you but at that point is it really worth it to have a roommate around that you can't trust?

If it's more a question of potentials, and you are the one paying for the internet bill, and you are really stressing about it, use a separate router for them and create two networks, yours and theirs, and stop using wireless. Spying on your roommates might fall into wiretapping territory. Don't do it.

Anthony
04-30-2010, 7:57 PM
Like what others have said, make sure your session is encrypted when visiting your bank and the like.

You also need to verify that they cannot get into your computer since you and them are technically on the same network. Having some sort of firewall in your computer that blocks any incoming traffic that you have not allowed should also be one of your priorities.

D_fens
05-01-2010, 2:02 PM
how would i do this?

This (http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20070901165646AADlIxu) probably says it better than I could.

Also, loosen up the :TFH:. :p

JDay
05-01-2010, 9:43 PM
how would i do this?

The router doesn't need to keep a log, anyone who has the encryption key (password) for the wireless can look at all unencrypted (non-https) traffic.

grnidb
05-11-2010, 7:58 AM
If you both are using the same router he can easily sniff the traffic and capture all the passwords that are sent clear text.

Also you should be aware, if your password on your computer is weak and/or you have open shares he could easily access all your files on your computer.

One solution would be to pick up a Dual Wireless network which has two separate access points put the roomies on one and only your computers on the other. Make sure you setup encryption and use a secure complex password.

AJZ