PDA

View Full Version : JEFF STONE FOR STATE SENATE!

Jeff Stone for Senate!
04-29-2010, 10:34 PM
Hello.
I am a recent member of Calguns. I joined Calguns because your feedback and support is important to me. I am impressed with the Calguns leadership and its commitment to providing a forum for California gun owners to share information and be heard.

I would like to introduce myself and talk about reasons to support my campaign. My name is Jeff Stone and I am running for State Senate in the 36th District. In my current position as a Riverside County Supervisor, I authored and passed a county resolution supporting the acceptance of “personal defense” to fulfill California’s requirement of “good cause” for CCW issuance. I worked with Sheriff Sniff to make sure our Board supported his efforts.

I cringed to see yet another piece of anti-gun legislation voted into law when AB 962 passed. This law treats law-abiding citizens like criminals by making them register in order to purchase ammunition. I support all efforts to repeal AB962.

I will work to reverse the California “Assault Weapons” ban. It is unconstitutional and does nothing more than restrict the law-abiding from purchasing the most commonly owned semi-automatic rifles in the nation. The state allows some gun manufacturers to sell their product in our state while disallowing other gun manufacturers from selling the same product. This does nothing for our gun rights, our economy, or our liberty in general.

As a State Senator, I’ll continue to support Second Amendment rights for law-abiding citizens to carry concealed weapons and purchase guns for hunting, sport, hobby or personal protection. I’ll fight to protect gun shops and gun ranges and stand up to those trying to ban lead ammunition.

The rights protected by the Second Amendment are vital. And as a State Senator, I will fight to keep us free from government infringement on that right.

To learn more about my campaign and my commitment to our Second Amendment rights, please visit www.joinjeffstone.com.

If you agree with me and want to help put someone who will work for you into office, please consider a donation of time or money to my campaign.

Thank you for taking the time to read this.

HondaMasterTech
04-29-2010, 10:40 PM
Welcome and good luck.

Midnightblue 72
04-30-2010, 12:26 AM
http://www.pe.com/localnews/politics/stories/PE_News_Local_S_stone24.38a5b2a.html

Riverside supervisor touts sister's pro-bono work for county, pays her from campaign fund

10:26 PM PDT on Monday, March 23, 2009

By JULIA GLICK
The Press-Enterprise

Supervisor Jeff Stone frequently praises his sister as Riverside County's best bargain because she works full-time as an unpaid volunteer in his office.

But records show he paid Lori Stone more than $180,000 in campaign money last year for political consulting and professional services and he assigned her the free use of a county car with taxpayer-funded gasoline included.
Over the past three years, Stone's campaign payments to his sister totaled about $330,000.

In reporting this story, The Press-Enterprise tried to interview Lori Stone and another staff member. Jeff Stone directed them not to comment and asked that requests be referred to him.

Story continues below

Lori Stone
Stone then declined to discuss the issues in person or by phone, saying he wanted all questions submitted in writing by e-mail. The Press-Enterprise declined. Stone then sent a lengthy e-mail defending his sister's use of a county car and her volunteer service.

"In addition to Lori putting in 50 to 60 hours a week of her time to improve the quality of life of women in the 3rd District, she was having to endure a personal expense of transporting herself throughout the County to do the fine work she does," he wrote. "I felt it was a lot to ask of a full time volunteer to not only donate her time to the County pro bono but to expect her to pay for all her travel expenses."

Stone, who plans to run for state Sen. Dennis Hollingsworth's seat in 2010, said his sister's use of a county car as his volunteer legislative assistant was consistent with county policies.

County spokesman Ray Smith said restrictions on volunteers' use of county vehicles do not apply to supervisors, only to the department heads and workers that serve under them.

Roman Porter, spokesman for the state's Fair Political Practices Commission, said Stone's payments to his sister do not violate any laws provided they are entirely for political, legislative or governmental purposes.

But the large amount of money to a sibling raises questions, said Bob Stern, president of the Los Angeles-based Center for Governmental Studies.

Stone paid his sister almost $40,000 more in 2008 than he earned as a county supervisor.

Stone was re-elected by a landslide in 2008 against a challenger who raised less than $1,000, a fact that gave Stern pause.

"Campaign consultants do not get almost $200,000 for noncompetitive races," Stern said, adding: "I don't think any legislative assistant gets $200,000. The question is what is she doing for her pay? I think this is case No. 1 for saying relatives should not be paid out of campaign funds because it's just too open for abuse."
Volunteer Work?

Stern said Stone could legally pay a legislative assistant's salary out of his campaign funds, but the pay must be in line with the amount of work and the skill level of the person performing it.

That aside, Stone has repeatedly said his sister works entirely for free for the county, identifying her as a "volunteer" on his Web Site.

Lori Stone works on homelessness issues, serves on the Riverside County Women's Commission and was appointed official county spokeswoman for the Sexual Assault Felony Enforcement team, Stone said in his e-mail. He added that she has launched and run several successful fundraisers for nonprofit organizations.

"Replacing her on my staff would cost the county a minimum of $60-70,000 per year in salary not including benefits," he said. "The citizens of this county are the beneficiaries of her pro-bono work."

County rules would not permit Stone to directly hire his sister for his staff or directly supervise her.

A county ordinance forbids county officers, including supervisors, from involvement in decisions to employ, retain, promote or make work assignments for a sibling or other immediate relative on the county payroll. The ordinance does not apply to volunteers, county spokesman Smith said.

County Car

Lori Stone has never been on the county payroll but drives a county car, a 2000 Ford Explorer. The county purchased the sport utility vehicle in 1999 for its Transportation and Land Management Agency, records show.

In May 2007, the car was transferred to Stone's office, where it was assigned to Lori Stone, according to fleet records.

The car had almost 105,000 miles on it when it was reassigned and is now nearing 132,000 miles, according to fleet records. Drivers of county vehicles rely on county gas pumps and county maintenance services, officials said.
Bob Howdyshell, director of county purchasing and fleet services, said supervisors' staff members often seek cars that have been used by other departments in the interest of frugality. But Lori Stone's situation is one-of-a-kind because she is a full-time volunteer, he said.

"I am not familiar with anyone who is a volunteer and has a long-term arrangement with a vehicle," he said of the vehicles used in county departments.

A county ordinance states that volunteers may not use county vehicles without justification from the relevant department head and authorization from the county executive officer.

But the requirement does not apply to the supervisors or their staff, Smith said. That's because supervisors set policy and oversee the county executive officer and department heads, he said. The requirements do not specifically refer to supervisors, he added.

Only the board would have the ability to change those rules to include them and their staffs, Smith said.

Reach Julia Glick at 951-368-9442 or jglick@PE.com

Consulting Pay

Riverside County Supervisor Jeff Stone says his sister Lori Stone is a volunteer in his office. Meanwhile he has paid her more than $330,000 in campaign funds for consulting and professional work over the past three years.

Campaign contributions

$218,696

Payments made

$444,115

Consulting, professional

payments to Lori Stone

$181,000

Campaign contributions

$302,390

Payments made

$266,769

Consulting, professional

payments to Lori Stone

$84,000

Campaign contributions

$342,412

Payments made

$268,009

Consulting, professional

payments to Lori Stone

$67,076

Source: Campaign finance filings

obeygiant
04-30-2010, 1:04 AM
:gene:

vantec08
04-30-2010, 6:35 AM
I dont know about the finance stuff, Stone did help get the Sheriff's mind right on ccw.

bwiese
04-30-2010, 9:57 AM
Hmm, this IS a gun board. Even if Stone's sister were a lap dancer (or even if Stone himself were a lap dancer!) it shouldn't matter as far as RKBA.

Midnightblue 72
04-30-2010, 10:18 AM
Yes this is a RKBA site but with that a person should be judged on how they conduct themselves while in office. If a person is willing to "Pay" his voluteer over $300,000.00 and his "Voulunteer" is given a car, gas and vehicle maintanence at taxpayer expense, and that "Volunteer" is his sister, then to me there is an issue with ethics.

madmike
04-30-2010, 10:19 AM
Hmm, this IS a gun board. Even if Stone's sister were a lap dancer (or even if Stone himself were a lap dancer!) it shouldn't matter as far as RKBA.

What if he's a donkey sex maniac?

-madmike.

bwiese
04-30-2010, 10:50 AM
-madmike.

;)

Hey, works for me - truly pro-gun is what counts.

People looking for absolute 100% broad-spectrum purity in politics are either on interesting drugs or don't understand that politicians are politicians.

GuyW
04-30-2010, 11:04 AM
I have talked with Jeff - he has his head on straight, and will be a good replacement for Dennis Hollingsworth. (There are several CalGunners in The Escondido Republican Club, and many more gunowners.)

Because I'm not in his District, I can't vote for him -

....but you can and should.

bwiese
04-30-2010, 11:15 AM
I have talked with Jeff - he has his head on straight, and will be a good replacement for Dennis Hollingsworth. (There are several CalGunners in The Escondido Republican Club, and many more gunowners.)

Because I'm not in his District, I can't vote for him ....but you can and should.

That's good!

I'd really hoped Hollingsworth was gonna help the gun cause more, but at best he was just a reliable "No" vote - I don't recall Hollingsworth driving/sponsoring any achieveable incremental pro-gun bills. (I'd hope someone could prove me wrong - he seems to have focused more on Prop 8 drama than helping CA gunnies.)

I indeed hope Mr. Stone marches down the hall to find Ed Worley (NRA leg liaison) and Tom Pedersen (CRPA leg liaison) and asks, "What can I do to help?"

Imagine if we had a host of legislators driving a ton of incremental pro-gun bills. Some of these will leak thru to completion :) And they don't have to be "big" bills repealing XYZ - those likely won't pass, we handle those thru the courts. But look how far we took Bob Dutton's single-shot exemption ;)

CCWFacts
04-30-2010, 11:45 AM
;)

Hey, works for me - truly pro-gun is what counts.

People looking for absolute 100% broad-spectrum purity in politics are either on interesting drugs or don't understand that politicians are politicians.

I agree with BW. I don't care about his sister making some money. I care about his strong and unambiguous statement about gun rights, which is well-informed and addresses our specific, realistic legislative concerns.

chief003
04-30-2010, 12:10 PM
http://www.pe.com/localnews/politics/stories/PE_News_Local_S_stone24.38a5b2a.html

Riverside supervisor touts sister's pro-bono work for county, pays her from campaign fund

By JULIA GLICK
The Press-Enterprise

Riverside County Supervisor Jeff Stone says his sister Lori Stone is a volunteer in his office. Meanwhile he has paid her more than $330,000 in campaign funds for consulting and professional work over the past three years.

As a taxpayer I appreciate Supervisor Stone using his campaign money and not taxpayer dollars to fund one of his staff portions. In the end, the taxpayers and constituents of Southwest Riverside County (his district) received the advocacy and support they needed without the traditional expense associated with these services.

Additionally, the use of county equipment seems more than reasonable given the duties performed by Ms. Stone and generally equals any expense associated with mileage reimbursements (at the IRS rate) that could have resulted.

Chief003

madmike
04-30-2010, 12:18 PM
I indeed hope Mr. Stone marches down the hall to find Ed Worley (NRA leg liaison) and Tom Pedersen (CRPA leg liaison) and asks, "What can I do to help?"

This is exactly what we need. We can worry about all the other problems in Ca, after we secure our rights.

-madmike.

crunchy
04-30-2010, 1:25 PM
Speaking from personal experience, Jeff Stone is a solid, decent guy and a champion for the decent folk of Riverside County... and for RKBA.

It is also noteworthy that he was one of the driving forces behind the creation of the Riverside County Sexual Assault Felony Enforcement task force (SAFE) back in 2006 I believe... a multi-agency LE group that monitors registered sex offenders and ensures they are in compliance and they know they're being watched... or SAFE works vigorously to hunt them down and put them back in jail. These folks are now the model for this type of unit in California... I'd call Jeff's work on this sort of visionary considering recent bad events in neighboring counties.

To sum up: Keeping up the pressure on slimeball predatory bad guys and supporting the RKBA of the good guys... that's a politician I can get behind.

GuyW
04-30-2010, 2:08 PM
BTW, Jeff will be one of the candidates in attendence at the 36th District Forum in May (3rd Monday), at the Escondido Republican Club.

http://www.escondidorepublicanclub.org/

b.faust
04-30-2010, 2:45 PM

"A chicken in every pot, and a dance in every lap"
Vote Stone.

I think I missed my calling as a political PR guru....

Apocalypsenerd
04-30-2010, 3:25 PM
I suggest that ethical integrity is the basis of all good governing. Just because he is paying his sister, it doesn't mean anything going on was unethical. However, if someone is pro-2A and unethical, they will flip flop if it personally enriches them.

Ethics is my primary focus of any voting choice. Of course, that means with most politicians I end up voting them out after the first term.

Window_Seat
04-30-2010, 3:30 PM
I don't care about a particular candidate's affairs, if he/she can count from 1-10 without missing the #2, and any other one in between, they have my vote.

Erik.

Super Spy
04-30-2010, 3:47 PM
I recommend thick skin if you plan on hanging around here....some comment addressing the compensation you gave your sister would be nice, especially if you give us a no B.S. straight forward answer.......not the normal song and dance for 10 minutes saying nothing of substance so many politicians are great at.....

-madmike. :rofl2:

That's sig material.......

mike_schwartz@mail.com
04-30-2010, 9:44 PM
Supervisor Stone did not give his sister a car. There was a provision that allowed volunteers to use a business vehicle provided by the county. Joel Anderson (his opponent in this race) made it illegal as a political move once they started running against each other. Up until that point it was not illegal.

His sister works for his campaign. Which is also legal. It is my understanding that the volunteer work she did for the county of Riverside was to help victims of sex crimes. Not sure there is much to criticize there. Thank God we have people who volunteer for that.

You may not agree with his strategy, but he didn’t do anything illegal or even unethical. Anderson, on the other hand, was fined for laundering money. And after all this time in the assembly….can you name a pro-gun bill he’s been responsible for?

And the accusation that he only recently has come around regarding guns…the catalyst to get his proclamation passed was the proposal to release prisoners by the state. Looks like he doesn’t just support guns, but he does it the smart and effective way too.

Even if what you said were true and he just came around to support guns….WHY WORK SO HARD TO CONVERT POLITICIANS TO BE PRO-GUN IF WHEN THEY DO COME AROUND WE ARE GOING TO CONDEMN THEM FOR NOT CONVERTING EARLIER????

Bwiese is right. This is a gun forum. Supervisor Stone has a solid stance on guns. Let’s give him the time and the dime he is asking for.

mike_schwartz@mail.com
04-30-2010, 9:44 PM
The worst part is you made me say "Bwiese is right". Geeze...that'll go straight to his head and we'll never hear the end of it.

Apocalypsenerd
04-30-2010, 10:29 PM
The worst part is you made me say "Bwiese is right". Geeze...that'll go straight to his head and we'll never hear the end of it.

That must be an inside joke, still funny though.

Super Spy
05-03-2010, 11:26 AM
I like the way Jeff Stone makes one post and doesn't come back and answer any questions.......that's reassuring....

Casual_Shooter
05-03-2010, 12:36 PM
I like the way Jeff Stone makes one post and doesn't come back and answer any questions.......that's reassuring....

My guess is that this was a drive-by post by one of his staffers to get his name out on gun forums since Open Carry and 2A are hot topics these days.

bwiese
05-03-2010, 12:38 PM

Hah, Mike. I can continue to be an arse whether or not someone validates my statements :) <bseg>

Indeed there appears to be legit RKBA support by Stone, without past anti drama - unlike Steve Poizner's conversion a month ago and his prior attack on NRA in past elections.

Barkoff
05-03-2010, 1:36 PM
Good luck Jeff. we need more thinkers and fewer reactionaries, but others are right. If you come for support you should answer the following questions.

Jeff Stone for Senate!
05-03-2010, 8:03 PM
Thank you all for your comments!

I want to start out by saying that my sister Lori Stone is a trusted member of my family. She has done a phenomenal job defending women’s issues and is a tremendous spokesman against sexual predator crimes. I am truly grateful for her support and her hard work for the people of Riverside County.

Watching Lori work on programs like S.A.F.E (which tracks sexual predators in the County of Riverside) has reaffirmed how important it is that law abiding citizens have the ability to protect their selves. During my career I have owned 6 pharmacies and my experience with guns started as a means to protect myself if the need arose while running my businesses.

This is what the Second Amendment is all about.

I am happy to answer questions. Please forgive me for not coming on as often as I would like. We are weeks away from the primary and my schedule is full. Anything you want to know, please feel free to ask.

-Jeff

HondaMasterTech
05-03-2010, 8:07 PM
Would you vote for a "shall issue" bill? How much support would you offer?

Jeff Stone for Senate!
05-03-2010, 8:52 PM
I am a strong supporter of the right to carry. I believe that California is behind the times when it comes to their CCW policy. 40 other states are already “shall issue” or require no permit at all.

I support California becoming a “shall issue” state and will actively work towards that goal. You can read the proclamation on my website that I authored and helped pass as a County Supervisor that shows my support of the Sheriff of Riverside County accepting “personal protection” as good cause to issue a CCW.

Thank you, HondaMasterTech!

cindynles
05-03-2010, 9:32 PM
Mr. Stone you have my support. I am in your district in Temecula, where can I pick up a sign for my lawn?