View Full Version : AK / Valmet Recoil Buffer Question?

04-29-2010, 9:30 PM
So my question is would this make a big enough difference that I should get a Valmet recoil buffer. I have your typical WASR made in Romania. Does any of you have one installed on your AK? If so please leave your thoughts.... This what I have read below:

AK / Valmet Recoil Buffer

The AK/Valmet Recoil Buffer fits on the recoil spring guide rod of any Kalishnikov style weapon. This includes AKs, Valmets, Galils, and Mak 90s, just to name a few.Installation takes less than a minute and can be done without any special tools. What makes the kalashnikov action so reliable, is also what causes its inevitable downfall, the violent manner in which it works. Each time you fire your rifle the gas system propels the bolt carrier to the rear very violently, which generates a shock wave that is absorbed by the metal receiver. After a period of time, this repeated pounding causes the action itself to lose its structural integrity. The most notable side effect of this happening is the difficulty you have in controlling the weapon during rapid fire. By installing a Recoil Buffer you totally eliminate the metal to metal impact of the bolt carrier to the receiver and most of the action noise.

04-29-2010, 9:34 PM
I have none installed in my AK's. I bought a Chinese .223 AK with one installed, but it caused malfunctions, so I ditched it.

04-29-2010, 10:15 PM
I'm a firm believer in the philosophy of if it ain't broke don't fix it.

04-29-2010, 10:29 PM
If the gun is built correctly, you don't need it. If your rear trunnion is getting hammered out or your carrier is popping out and you're too lazy to fix it, this might help you for a while.

04-29-2010, 10:46 PM
waste of $$

there used to be a few of those vids around awhile back.
Showing the AK firing minus the receiver cover. My MAK90 pitches fits with a recoil buffer installed. without it she is just fine. 12 years later I see no damage. YMMV.

04-29-2010, 11:20 PM
If your WASR is working fine, leave it alone. The buffer is a solution to a problem that does not exist.

04-29-2010, 11:43 PM
yea leave it.

04-30-2010, 7:42 AM
the b/c is not supposed to hit the rear trunnion in PROPER operation. if it does you need a new recoil spring. buffers are usually used to save a reciever that had the disassembly notch cut too large. nasty surprise, that! top cover usually hits the forehead.

04-30-2010, 7:47 AM
Or replace with an extra power recoil spring.

04-30-2010, 10:18 PM
Thanks for all your input!

05-01-2010, 12:27 AM
My brother fitted one to his AK. It didn't cause malfunctions, but working the action back manually, didn't seem any different with or without it.
My Valmet and Saigas don't have them, after years of shooting, none of them look like they've been worse for not having one.