PDA

View Full Version : Where can I get some Rocksett?

pipboy
04-29-2010, 9:02 PM
I want to do some swapping around of my muzzle devices, but i used up most of the supplied Rocksett when I did the initial installations. Anyone know if/which stores sell the stuff?

I saw some on amazon.com from the manufacturer, but I'm not too enthusiastic about paying $9 shipping for a $9 (2 oz) item. :ack2:

Flux Capacitor
04-30-2010, 3:04 PM
I want to do some swapping around of my muzzle devices, but i used up most of the supplied Rocksett when I did the initial installations. Anyone know if/which stores sell the stuff?

I saw some on amazon.com from the manufacturer, but I'm not too enthusiastic about paying $9 shipping for a $9 (2 oz) item. :ack2:

I might have an extra brand new bottle in the house. I can ship it for like $13 bucks. I have to check to see if I even still have it. e-mail me. I don't check my PMs very often. usadaytrader@yahoo.com

L4D
04-30-2010, 3:08 PM
http://store.flexbar.com/merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD_MT&Store_Code=FLX&Product_Code=15015&Category_Code=Adhesive-Cement

heres a 4oz bottle for $14.

would blue loctite hold up?

pipboy
04-30-2010, 3:16 PM
Thanks for the replies guys! I actually found it and bought some earlier today.

Blue loctite is not rated to withstand the high temps rocksett is, so its recommended to use rocksett with muzzle devices.

L4D
04-30-2010, 3:32 PM
how hot do our bullet buttoned 10 round restricted semi-auto's get?

I found the temp range for loctite 242 from their site
Temperature range: -65 degrees to 300 degrees Fahrenheit (-54 degrees to 149 degrees Celsius)

pipboy
04-30-2010, 3:57 PM
Considering recommended procedures for easy removal of parts secured with blue loctite is to simply heat the threaded area, why would you want to deliberately place it on a part that is heated by normal use?

How hot it gets depends entirely on the configuration of the rifle, how the rifle is run, and under what conditions. Granted if you assume the only use the rifle will ever see is on the bench at a static range with a 10rnd/bb configuration blue loctite may hold up fine, but once you decide to take a class or dump a few mags out of state, or whatever, do you really want to settle for something that knowingly comes off with the application of heat?

The manufacturer recommends the use of rocksett, and even ships the part with a vial of the stuff. I just want to do things properly and not be worried about things coming loose when they shouldn't that's all.

L4D
04-30-2010, 4:01 PM
Considering recommended procedures for easy removal of parts secured with blue loctite is to simply heat the threaded area, why would you want to deliberately place it on a part that is heated by normal use?

How hot it gets depends entirely on the configuration of the rifle, how the rifle is run, and under what conditions. Granted if you assume the only use the rifle will ever see is on the bench at a static range with a 10rnd/bb configuration blue loctite may hold up fine, but once you decide to take a class or dump a few mags out of state, or whatever, do you really want to settle for something that knowingly comes off with the application of heat?

The manufacturer recommends the use of rocksett, and even ships the part with a vial of the stuff. I just want to do things properly and not be worried about things coming loose when they shouldn't that's all.

gotcha. Does anyone know an alternative to rockset? Not all muzzle devices ship with rocksett.

lets say for a bench gun.

killshot44
04-30-2010, 7:04 PM
With a new crush washer you don't need Loctite.

ArkinDomino
04-30-2010, 11:05 PM
With a new crush washer you don't need Loctite.

Some muzzle devices specifically say not to use crush washers....

FMJBT
04-30-2010, 11:20 PM
Some muzzle devices specifically say not to use crush washers....

Typically this would be for muzzle devices that serve as a base for suppresor use. Normally these muzzle devices will mount/index using peel washers to maintain a more precise alignment with the bore. Either way, as long as final torque is sufficient a thread locking compound shouldn't be needed unless the device directs muzzle blast in such a way as to rotate it off the barrel.