PDA

View Full Version : help find me my first 1911

duck814
04-29-2010, 7:35 PM
Having a very difficult time locating my first 1911 (2nd handgun). I've narrowed it down to a Springfield Armory MC Operator or a Kimber Warrior. That being said, went to my local gun stores, Turner and Field Time Sports and Guns and they dont have either in stock.

Being relatively new to buying guns, what would be the best way on locating one? Should I keep checking into my local gun stores hoping they have it in stock, put in a special order, or order them directly off the manufacturers sites?

Does anyone know ne stores that might have them in stock? I'm located in Westminster.

Point a gun newb in the right direction :)

Thanks for reading.

Rekrab
04-29-2010, 7:49 PM
Check Field Time, right off Westminster Blvd. Ammo Bros in Cerritos might also have one.

duck814
04-29-2010, 8:43 PM
Thanks for the reply, went to field time after work today no luck. Ill give Ammo Bros a call tomorrow.

mrrsquared79
04-29-2010, 8:59 PM
Try Fowler's Gun Room/the Stockade(not cheap) or Bolsa Gunsmithing. Bolsa has the best prices that I've found in the OC area beating both Turner's and Fowlers/Stockade by quite a bit. They will also order the exact one you want.

You may even want to try online at gunbroker.com as well

wamphyri13
04-29-2010, 9:00 PM
GunBroker.com or Guns America.
I was in a bidding war for 2 MC Operators in March on GunBroker. One went for $1375 the other $1200. I went to Guns America and found a California friendly FFL in South Dakota who had one for $1129. Guess where I got mine?
Ryan

evidens83
04-29-2010, 9:01 PM
On Target maybe? Whenever I'm there they have beautiful 1911s in display.

1911Operator
04-29-2010, 9:34 PM
look at mine!

1911Operator
04-29-2010, 9:36 PM
Springfield Armory MC Operator

get the SA!!!!! I have a operator and love it! i mean, look at my user name. :whistling:
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y134/boss_406/IMG_0916.jpg

Ducman
04-29-2010, 10:42 PM
Turners Corona have the Kimber warrior this morning.

nrvnqsrxk
04-29-2010, 11:31 PM
You can also use galleryofguns.com. They will give you OTD pricing, didn't check if they had the ones you're interested in though. If it's out of stock, you can put yourself on the inventory e-mail list, and they will update you when it comes in.

Tim0s002
04-29-2010, 11:33 PM
about 2 1/2 weeks ago, ammo bros cerritos had one. they were charging 1399
stockade had one around that time too for 1369 i believe. not sure if its still there but local gun shops seem to charge about msrp.

tacticalcity
04-29-2010, 11:41 PM
Be patient and keep searching for the right deal on Gunbroker.com. Find a local FFL to do the DROS. Make sure the model you choose is on the DOJ safe handgun roster.

I have not been in a "gun store" yet where I was not completely turned off by the people behind the counter. Lots of experts giving bad advise, especially when it comes to what is and is not legal.

As a result I formed a great relationship with a local FFL who makes his living doing DROS for online buys and PPT. A nice semi-retired guy who works 2 days a week and treats every customer like they mean the world to him. So my advise is to find a good FFL and make gunbroker.com your home away from home.

I got my Glock 19 9mm for $425 shipped. Nice Gen 2 Safe Queen. Best gun I have owned to date. Put it through the paces at Front Sight a couple months ago. No issues at all. All my lowers are off gunbroker.com as were my last 4 handguns. All the purchases went great. Most were excellent deals. Well below what I would have paid in a gun store. You have to be patient some times, and just keep checking regularly, but you will eventually find a heck of a deal on the gun you want.

As for supporting local businesses argument, I support my local FFL who provides a great experience and avoid my local gunstores which do not. If my local gun stores actually wanted my business, they would have acted like it. The one exception would be Rancho Cordova Shooting Range. They could be a little friendlier, but they make an effort, and do not give bad advise.

rorschach
04-29-2010, 11:55 PM
Turners Norwalk has at least 1 Kimber Warrior in stock.

duck814
04-30-2010, 5:39 AM
I really appreciate everyones help, Thank you all! I am now leaning more towards a Springfield Armory Operator, possibly even a TRP operator. I'll definitely be giving the stores you guys mentioned a call later today.

I will also give the internet sites a shot. Seems a little intimidating at first, but I always hear people talking about great deals online.

duck814
04-30-2010, 6:21 PM
tried ammo bros and bolsa gun smithing no luck...the hunt continues

JPurp
04-30-2010, 9:10 PM
On Target maybe? Whenever I'm there they have beautiful 1911s in display.

On Target is a dealer for Wilson Combat. They usually have Wilsons.

-JP