PDA

View Full Version : Cali law: extended mags?

JohnnyCrash
04-29-2010, 7:49 PM
Are extended magazines allowed in California for the Smith & Wesson Sigma series handguns?

I'm specifically talking about the 16 round mags for the SW9VE and the 14 round mags for the SW40VE.

If nobody knows, is there anyplace I can check?

Thanks!

GearHead
04-29-2010, 7:51 PM
Depends, did you own them before January 1 2000? Are you LEO?

If you answered no to both questions, then you cannot import or manufacture any magazines that hold more than 10 rounds. Technically you are legally allowed to own them, but here at Calguns we do not advocate breaking any laws, regardless of how asinine they may be.

JohnnyCrash
04-29-2010, 8:15 PM
I just found that on the CA DOJ website...

Damn. Oh well.

2 free mags are 2 free mags, so I'm still happy I have some kind of 2ndAm :)

ChrisTKHarris
04-29-2010, 8:24 PM

Damn. Oh well.

What do you mean by that? Do you still have POSSESSION of these high capacity mags and yet you did not own them before the ban in 2000? If so it is illegal for you to own them/whomever sold/gave them to you.

DannyZRC
04-29-2010, 8:48 PM
it is not illegal for him to own them, it was illegal for whoever it was to give/sell them to him.

ChrisTKHarris
04-29-2010, 8:57 PM
it is not illegal for him to own them, it was illegal for whoever it was to give/sell them to him.

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=124709

DannyZRC
04-29-2010, 9:03 PM
From that Page:
To repeat: Possession/use of a large-capacity magazine by an individual is not a crime, no matter how you acquired it.

JohnnyCrash
04-29-2010, 10:10 PM
What do you mean by that? Do you still have POSSESSION of these high capacity mags and yet you did not own them before the ban in 2000? If so it is illegal for you to own them/whomever sold/gave them to you.

No, it is part of the Smith and Wesson Rebate coupon I'm about to mail in.

I had to check which option I wanted (standard 10 round mags or 14 round mags) before I mail it in.

--

I guess S&W likely wouldn't ship them to me anyway since they're illegal (to sell, distribute, give, etc) in my state. To own them apparently isn't illegal, but procuring them would be tricky with this law.

Thanks for the links and info guys!

--

If the cops and the bad guys (illegal gun owners, criminals who have no regard for the law) have longer clips, doesn't the shorter mags and therefore sooner reloads make it harder to defend yourself before police arrive? Sheesh.

California gun laws make zero sense...

pontiacpratt
04-29-2010, 10:16 PM

I had to check which option I wanted (standard 10 round mags or 14 round mags) before I mail it in.

--

I guess S&W likely wouldn't ship them to me anyway since they're illegal (to sell, distribute, give, etc) in my state. To own them apparently isn't illegal, but procuring them would be tricky with this law.

Thanks for the links and info guys!

--

If the cops and the bad guys (illegal gun owners, criminals who have no regard for the law) have longer clips, doesn't the shorter mags and therefore sooner reloads make it harder to defend yourself before police arrive? Sheesh.

California gun laws make zero sense...

Welcome to California, please leave logic at the border.;)

bigthaiboy
04-29-2010, 10:26 PM

Getting the two mags is a better deal than getting the $50 rebate. Sigma magazines are expensive at around $40 a piece new. Enjoy your new S&W. :)

Ron-Solo
04-29-2010, 10:38 PM
Smith won't send the standard mags unless you send in a copy of LE identification that matches the sales receipt

JohnnyCrash
05-15-2010, 8:27 PM
Getting the two mags is a better deal than getting the $50 rebate. Sigma magazines are expensive at around $40 a piece new. Enjoy your new S&W. :)

That's how I felt!

Smith won't send the standard mags unless you send in a copy of LE identification that matches the sales receipt

Uh... what? LE identification, what's that? Forgive me, I'm new, this is my first gun. I sent in copies of the credit card purchase receipt, the store sales receipt, and the serial number. So far the website says my rebate has been recieved and apparently OK. No ship date yet though.

jshoebot
05-15-2010, 8:43 PM
LE = Law Enforcement

Cokebottle
05-15-2010, 9:08 PM
Negative.

It is illegal to import, manufacture, or sell or offer for sale/gift/loan.

Mere possession is not a crime.

Some believe that purchasing may open one up to a conspiracy charge, since the seller is committing a crime, but that is unlikely on a misdemeanor charge.

Bill Carson
05-15-2010, 9:12 PM
yeah you are confused. you are not getting 14 round magazines shipped to you in california from smith and wesson. I hope that clears it all up for you.

Turbinator
05-15-2010, 9:51 PM
That's how I felt!
PS
The gun itself came with two 14 round mags... now I'm really confused!

Very interesting, someone screwed that one up. Enjoy!

Turby

JohnnyCrash
05-15-2010, 10:28 PM
yeah you are confused. you are not getting 14 round magazines shipped to you in california from smith and wesson. I hope that clears it all up for you.

Very interesting, someone screwed that one up. Enjoy!

Turby

Sorry, my bad. I did NOT receive the 14 round mags... in all of the excitement of my first gun I got confused :)

-hanko
05-16-2010, 9:27 AM
...If so it is illegal for you to own them/whomever sold/gave them to you.
Simply incorrect;)

-hanko

anniepoks
05-16-2010, 10:19 AM

Damn. Oh well.

....SSSSShhhhhhhhhhhhh!

kemper
05-16-2010, 3:06 PM
Welcome to California, please leave logic at the border.;)

and be happy we have any 2nd amendment rights here

Baconator
05-16-2010, 3:08 PM
Be careful or a helicopter will land on the 15 freeway and arrest you.

Artery
05-16-2010, 8:56 PM
FWIW "extended magazine" usually refers to a magazine that protrudes beneath the grip. 10rd "extended magazines" for guns like a 1911 or a sig P225/P6, or even if you put a 10rd glock 22 mag in a glock 23 that made it extend beyond the grip are not illegal in california, the laws refer to capacity not length.

Turbinator
05-16-2010, 11:49 PM
Sorry, my bad. I did NOT receive the 14 round mags... in all of the excitement of my first gun I got confused :)

Yeah, but the thing is, if you did get highcap mags with your gun, you are not the lawbreaker here - the person who gave them to you is - so legally, you're safe.

Turby