PDA

View Full Version : Lightweight 20" barrel recommendations?

oldrifle
04-29-2010, 6:10 PM
I'm looking to replace the hbar on my AR (5.56) with something lighter. I see there are a few options. Any recommendations? I'd like to keep it under $300 but of course quality is key. I'd like chrome lined... not chrome moly.

77bawls
04-29-2010, 6:14 PM
I'm looking for a 20" stainless with a threaded muzzle.

igorts
04-29-2010, 6:21 PM
L Walther 20"

oldrifle
04-29-2010, 6:22 PM

:threadjacked: thanks...

killshot44
04-29-2010, 8:55 PM
I'm looking to replace the hbar on my AR (5.56) with something lighter. I see there are a few options. Any recommendations? I'd like to keep it under $300 but of course quality is key. I'd like chrome lined... not chrome moly.

Gov't profile for $245: http://www.model1sales.com/item-detail.cfm?ID=BSC20EGPCL&storeid=1&image=20govpro.gif&CFID=61721490&CFTOKEN=83291833

killshot44
04-29-2010, 8:58 PM

Even some love for thread jackers tonight! http://www.model1sales.com/item-detail.cfm?ID=BSC20E&storeid=1&image=bar20.gif&CFID=61721490&CFTOKEN=83291833
Just change the barrel options in the drop-down window. $235 for Stainless Threaded

I have NO experience with this vendor or these barrels. But I can search like a hungry dog.:p

oldrifle
04-30-2010, 7:26 AM
Gov't profile for $245: http://www.model1sales.com/item-detail.cfm?ID=BSC20EGPCL&storeid=1&image=20govpro.gif&CFID=61721490&CFTOKEN=83291833

Thanks! That looks like a good deal. Now I just have to figure out what the consequences of going from a 1:9 twist to a 1:7 will be.

bwiese
04-30-2010, 11:25 AM

Forrest,

Then you want a std 20" M16 "USGI Profile" barrel. It's tapered under the handguards.

You can get these from various vendors - you might find some Colt around, Bushmaster has done a run of these, etc. CMMG has 'em too, Armalite, and perhaps Yankee Hill. BravoCoUSA may offer 20" USGI chromed bbls too.

1/7" twist is best if you'd like to shoot the heavies (72-77gr gr). The Armalites and Bushmasters are 1/9" twist.

Also (recommended): CMMG has an unusual profile called the 20" "Medcon". It begins reducing tape *forward* to a thinner profile as you move down the barrel. You may find this bbl to be a bit stiffer/more accurate than a thinner USGI profie under the handguards, yet way lighter under an HBAR profile.

Weight is not the only thing, a bit of balance helps.

Stay away from Model1 Sales - non-chrome lined. Stick with the vendors I've listed.

Whose barrel do you have, what twist is it, is it chrome-lined, and are you selling it?

killshot44
04-30-2010, 11:37 AM
Stay away from Model1 Sales - non-chrome lined. Stick with the vendors I've listed.

While those vendors are fine, but Model 1 does offer chrome-lined barrels but not the one I linked to...
And Mr. Wiese knows his stuff.

I'd stick with 1/9 twist unless you know you'll be shooting 400+. I've seen a bunch of frustrated guys trying to get their new 1/7 twist rifles to shoot MOA with anything other than 70+ grain-weights. YMMV, of course.

bwiese
04-30-2010, 1:18 PM
I'd stick with 1/9 twist unless you know you'll be shooting 400+. I've seen a bunch of frustrated guys trying to get their new 1/7 twist rifles to shoot MOA with anything other than 70+ grain-weights. YMMV, of course.

I've used various 1/7" twist bbls - Colt, Noveske, CMMG - to shoot quality 55gr and 69gr quite nicely.

Methinks any problems with way-beyond-MOA shooting w/ 1-7" twist bbls may not be with the twist, but the bbl mfgr, ammo, or shooter.

oldrifle
04-30-2010, 2:14 PM
Hi Bill! Thanks for the reply. BTW, I've been telling Ben we need to go get some more steak with you again soon.

Currently I have an Armalite 1:9 20" hbar that was shortened to ~18" and had its muzzle threaded. It is chrome lined. I would certainly be willing to sell it if I could locate a suitable lightweight replacement. I like Armalite so I think I'll start with them first.

Again, thanks for the info. I'd much rather go with one of the known brands than this Model 1 Sales outfit. I wouldn't ever skimp on a barrel.

Forrest,

Then you want a std 20" M16 "USGI Profile" barrel. It's tapered under the handguards.

You can get these from various vendors - you might find some Colt around, Bushmaster has done a run of these, etc. CMMG has 'em too, Armalite, and perhaps Yankee Hill. BravoCoUSA may offer 20" USGI chromed bbls too.

1/7" twist is best if you'd like to shoot the heavies (72-77gr gr). The Armalites and Bushmasters are 1/9" twist.

Also (recommended): CMMG has an unusual profile called the 20" "Medcon". It begins reducing tape *forward* to a thinner profile as you move down the barrel. You may find this bbl to be a bit stiffer/more accurate than a thinner USGI profie under the handguards, yet way lighter under an HBAR profile.

Weight is not the only thing, a bit of balance helps.

Whose barrel do you have, what twist is it, is it chrome-lined, and are you selling it?

77bawls
04-30-2010, 2:48 PM
Even some love for thread jackers tonight! http://www.model1sales.com/item-detail.cfm?ID=BSC20E&storeid=1&image=bar20.gif&CFID=61721490&CFTOKEN=83291833
Just change the barrel options in the drop-down window. $235 for Stainless Threaded

I have NO experience with this vendor or these barrels. But I can search like a hungry dog.:p

Sweet thanks! Didn't mean to hijack but since the topic was barrels.